Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
How do you feel about Chassidish levush as a Purim costume
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Do you think it's disrespectful for a non-Chossid to dress up as a Chossid for Purim
Yes  
 20%  [ 47 ]
No  
 79%  [ 187 ]
Total Votes : 234

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:01 pm
Wow I’m actually really surprised by the poll. So many offended people… To me this is harmless fun. And yes, you can dress up like me.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:16 pm
We're chasidish. We've provided hats to dh friend from another chasidus cuz he wanted to dress up as ours and vice versa.

It's always funny to see if they look "genuine".

Wondering if your dh would think it's offensive to wear a gold bekeshe like a yurshalmi/toldas ahron etc.

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:19 pm
Chassidish here. Not offended. It I think I would like it less if a nonjew did. That’s nearly always for mockery.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:22 pm
so suprised by poll.
Harmless costume. I'm chassidish and would have no issue. It's cute dressing up like different sect.
Once saw picture of whole family that dressed up as chassidim. They did it so accurately, I was amazed. They looked like typical satmar family.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:25 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
The ups driver that delivers in our area wore a yarmulke and payes one Purim. It was so cute, everyone wanted to take selfies with him. I don’t think it’s disrespectful to dress up as chasidish, we do wear different clothes than most people, so why would I be bothered?

While tons of kids are dressed up like UPS drivers. Cute.

amother
White

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:27 pm
I love it, it feels to me like such Achdus.

amother
Apple

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:27 pm
pause wrote:
It's the same as other ethnic costumes.
Are you ok with Native American costumes? With African-style braids in the hair? With Chinese costumes? And let's not go there - with blackface?

I have no issue with any of them, but I know plenty people who do. Whatever your philosophy, don't be a hypocrite.

Blackface etc... is IMHO (and I think her, not a popular opinion) racism, everything that is likely to mock and stereotyping a group is not good! But if I would have a neighbour who wears a sphitzel and she will for purim but on my lacetop and I her shpitzel and I wear her palm tights and she my black MeMoi thights etc for Purim we do it between our group,our minority we are both consent to it and we both do it for fun and she isn't mocking me nad I'm not mocking her... But if I go around with a turban and a robe and speak with a weird yiddish/english accent and I make fun about chassidim and post this online and it gets viral yeah... I deserve the hate.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:31 pm
It’s nice to want to be a Chasidish varim yid for a day. I don’t see anything wrong with it.
Even as a teen girl we dressed up like chasiddim at our highschool Chagiga. We wore bekeshes and beiber hitten, but with skirts. I loved dressing up like that.
My DH wears a bekeshe and shtreimel . I always found it cute when non Chasidish couples or families switched it up for the day.

Every year I find out about one more costume that is suddenly considered disrespectful, not ok, etc. , something that was always considered fun, funny and Purimdig and suddenly it’s offensive or disrespectful. Why can’t we all have a good time and not get offended by everything? What happened to us

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:47 pm
amother Orchid wrote:
I’m chassidish. No issue with it.
Unless they put on an oversized hook nose or something derogatory like that.

Chassidish too, and no issue with it either. Personally, I think the chassidish men are dressed in costumes all year round Smile. When you wear 1800s clothing in the 21st century, isn't is some form of a costume?

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:51 pm
amother Pear wrote:
Chassidish too, and no issue with it either. Personally, I think the chassidish men are dressed in costumes all year round Smile. When you wear 1800s clothing in the 21st century, isn't is some form of a costume?

When you Google where did a shtreimel originate from:
According to the Jewish Historical Institute in Warsaw, the shtreimel could come from a period in the 17th century when Oriental costumes were considered fashionable by the nobility of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth (Sarmatism).

Cspybe

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 7:11 pm
Chassidish here
I think it's an adorable costume idea

NechaMom

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 7:19 pm
amother Pear wrote:

Women dressed in tznius clothing are also in costumes all year round. When you wear long sleeves and closed necklines in 21st century isn’t it some form of costume?

NechaMom

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 7:20 pm
I love to see original Purim dress up. This is a harmless one!

amother
Lightcoral

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 8:41 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I dont love the idea of someones regular clothing being my kids costume. I cant fully articulate why it just always sat wrong with wrong with me but on a list of costume ideas I am willing to argue with my kids about this is so low on the list that my feelings are not that strong. But its not my preference either.

You would have an issue with someone dressing up like the Amish?

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 8:51 pm
NechaMom wrote:
Women dressed in tznius clothing are also in costumes all year round. When you wear long sleeves and closed necklines in 21st century isn’t it some form of costume?

No. If I choose to wear a long sleeve tee shirt in the summer that I bought at Zara or handm it’s not a costume. Not sure how you can compare a shtreimel To a tee shirt.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 8:52 pm
pause wrote:
It's the same as other ethnic costumes.
Are you ok with Native American costumes? With African-style braids in the hair? With Chinese costumes? And let's not go there - with blackface?

I have no issue with any of them, but I know plenty people who do. Whatever your philosophy, don't be a hypocrite.

I know this ain't a pc opinion but I agree with it.

Years ago so many dressed for Purim as Indians or African Americans and smeared their face with cocoa. So? Big deal. I don't get why blackface is so terribly offensive. Who's mocking? Why would someone think it's mocking? Seems like an inferior complex to me.
Btw today it's offensive to dress as a Mexican too. You basically can't dress up as anyone anymore.

I would totally not care if Jew or non Jew dressed up chassidish. Gezunterheit.

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 9:22 pm
I voted yes by mistake.

I think it's fine.

Let's not have woke nonsense in frum community.

Although I used to think blackface was ok, but now absolutely not.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 11:37 pm
And why would wearing yeshivish levush not be the same problem? Cuz theres nothing to make fun of. The chassidish levush actually looks funny. So yeah its a great idea for purim. Is it disrespectful? Depends on the reason. Are you doing it to ridicule or do you seriously want to try out being a chossid for one day?

amother
Tomato

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 12:27 am
Years ago, it was acceptable for Charedi boys in Israel to dress up in IDF uniforms for Purim. So they dressed like Dati Leumi men, and Dati Leumi boys dressed as chassidim. A lovely example of ve- nahafoch hu.

Now, as far as I can tell from the outside, the army uniform costume is treif, and the chassidishe levush is offensive.

Oh well, the world changes.

amother
Snow

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 12:45 am
SuperWify wrote:
Wow I’m actually really surprised by the poll. So many offended people…

Yeah, and the funny thing is that I think that most (all?) chassidim here voted No. So its not even the chassidim that think its offensive.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics