Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Really easy things to buy for supper
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 8:08 pm
First trimester not going very well. Kids are basically on their own and getting very tired of macaroni. What can I add to the shopping list to make this easier? Already added pizza bagels which is usually a rare treat. They don't like fish sticks. What else is super easy and not too unhealthy that I can keep stocked for when I can't make supper which is every day now? History implies it could be another month of this at least :-(

amother
Chestnut

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 8:13 pm
Do they like frozen falafel? I do that with pita, hummus, salad, and fries. Or frozen fish? Also sometimes when there's no time to get dinner together I do "kiddie charcuterie"-- pieces of cheese (or turkey/other deli if you want to be fleish), cut veggies, hummus, hard boiled eggs, pita or crackers, fruit, nuts, whatever else I find. You can arrange it on a platter or just put it all out.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 8:13 pm
Chicken nuggets? Fries?
Can you buy premade hamburgers and just bake them?
Can you afford prepared foods?

amother
Oatmeal

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 8:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
First trimester not going very well. Kids are basically on their own and getting very tired of macaroni. What can I add to the shopping list to make this easier? Already added pizza bagels which is usually a rare treat. They don't like fish sticks. What else is super easy and not too unhealthy that I can keep stocked for when I can't make supper which is every day now? History implies it could be another month of this at least :-(

Pizza slices, Baked ziti, frozen dinners in freezer section of grocery, soups, kugels

bnm

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 8:17 pm
Deli. Sandwich supplies- tuna, pb, some cucumebers/coleslaw/sour pickles for veggies. Maybe bagged lettuce. String cheese and noodle soups. Eggs.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 8:17 pm
Bean burritos/tacos---dump some canned/rinsed beans in a crockpot for a couple hours on high, mix a couple times; serve with cut up lettuce, tomato, avocado, olives, shredded cheese, sour cream or greek yogurt (if you want milchig), tortillas/tacos, salsa/hot sauce, you can add other veggies too---cucumber, canned corn, chicpeas, shredded carrots, etc. Folks can make them how they like. There's some prep to cut up veggies ,etc. but it's about 5 min to dump beans into crockpot, and 10 min to cut up other veggies, etc.

amother
Mayflower

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 8:18 pm
Can you or dh/teenager prepare easy 9 by 13 suppers?
Use ready checked rice, frozen veg
Its real food but very short prep time..
Rice with chicken or and vegetables in the oven
There are lots on between carpools

mfb

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 8:18 pm
Prepared raw hamburgers with buns

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 8:28 pm
OK I think you're all really overestimating my functionality... I need things that are literally at the level of frozen pizza, but with more variety. I added frozen waffles to the shopping list.

They do not like falafel or any kind of fish :-(

amother
Daffodil

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 8:36 pm
Oatmeal. Quick oats, salt and sugar. Pour boiling water on top.

Turkey wraps. Wraps, turkey lettuce and mustard/mayonnaise (they can add themselves).

Rice in oven. Pour one cup rice, two cups water, a little oil and salt in pan. Bake till done.

Yellow rice mix (Carolina mix) or rice pilaf. Same recipe.

Sweet potatoes as a side dish.

My kids will eat chick peas, baby corn and corn straight from the can. Baked beans in a can (definitely a meal).

Frozen blintzes.

They sell rolls/baguettes etc in the freezer section, you just need to heat in oven for 3 minutes. Serve with scrambled eggs (if your kids can make this themselves) or with butter and cream cheese if not.

(Sorta embarrassing how many ideas I have here and I'm not pregnant Can't Believe It ).

amother
Mayflower

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 8:39 pm
Can you have a cleaninghelp or teenager girl come and prepare food once a week?
She can prepare easy sides, soups and shnitzels
And then pop in microwave throughout the week
How do u manage shabbos?

accountantmommy

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 8:40 pm
Fleishig: Meal mart Chicken pot pies, Frozen hamburgers, chicken nuggets (of tov makes tenders that are good enough for adults), deli, rotisserie chicken if you can buy in your area kosher

Parve: veggie burgers, vegan chicken nuggets, frozen french fries, taamti frozen israeli apps (cigars, kibbeh, borekas), all varieties of frozen veggies just zap in microwave and frozen fruits to defrost or smoothify.

Milchig: pizza bagels, hot pretzels, pancakes/waffles/french toast, cheese blintzes, yogurts

Tips:
1.Turn anything into a sandwich plus easy side qnd you have a balanced meal. (frozen corn plus veggie burger on bun, chicken nuggets in a wrap with lettuce and frozen french fries,etc)
2. Get a good variety of cereals everyone likes and keep milk in fridge. That can even be a supper
3. Keep sliced bread and peanut butter around for if all else fails. Any tons of accessible snacks for the kids

amother
Seashell

Bagels and cream cheese
Frozen french fries
Frozen chicken nuggets
Salmon (pour sauce and stick in oven)

amother
Cerise

they sell hotdogs nitrite and nitrate free...
add that to your grocery order plus buns plus fries and that's a supper

does your grocery sell breaded cutlets? you can bake that (just oil the pan well) and whole potatoes for another supper

I think I understand what your looking for...something you can buy, unwrap and heat (no cutting, chopping etc.)

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 8:41 pm
accountantmommy wrote:
Fleishig: Meal mart Chicken pot pies, Frozen hamburgers, chicken nuggets (of tov makes tenders that are good enough for adults), deli, rotisserie chicken if you can buy in your area kosher

Parve: veggie burgers, vegan chicken nuggets, frozen french fries, taamti frozen israeli apps (cigars, kibbeh, borekas), all varieties of frozen veggies just zap in microwave and frozen fruits to defrost or smoothify.

Milchig: pizza bagels, hot pretzels, pancakes/waffles/french toast, cheese blintzes, yogurts

Tips:
1.Turn anything into a sandwich plus easy side qnd you have a balanced meal. (frozen corn plus veggie burger on bun, chicken nuggets in a wrap with lettuce and frozen french fries,etc)
2. Get a good variety of cereals everyone likes and keep milk in fridge. That can even be a supper
3. Keep sliced bread and peanut butter around for if all else fails. Any tons of accessible snacks for the kids

Yes! This! Cereal can be dinner! (For sure if you keep it <6-7 g added sugar per serving, but even if not, most of them are also vitamin/mineral fortified! I had a handful of years that cereal for dinner 2-4 times a month (not week! lol but wtvr) was a reality.

Last edited by NotInNJMommy on Mon, Jan 09 2023, 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 8:42 pm
Frozen bagels and ready made spreads(tuna egg-salad...)
If your kids can/want to make grilled cheese you can buy wraps and do it on that in the pizza maker.
All and any variety of pizza balls-snaps-rolls...
Noodle soup
Frozen fries franks and buns
Cold cut sandwiches

amother
Pistachio

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 8:45 pm
Salmon. Hot pretzels. Hot dogs. Malawach. Dirty fries( bake frozen fries on high. Then add cheese and beans or deli cut up tiny, pickles, banana pepper rings, and tonz of sauces! Yum! Chicken nuggets pour sauce over when ready tastes fancier. Frozen franks n blanks, eggroll, pizza rolls, fancy grill cheese( add veggies like onions pepper mushrooms olives) tradition soups, wacky Mac, bagels n cream cheese. Morning star buffalo wing nuggets

tichellady

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 8:54 pm
lox bagel and cream cheese, chicken nuggets, dr prager mushroom risotto burgers, yogurt with granola

amother
Anemone

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 9:00 pm
For vegetables - Any frozen vegetable cooked or baked with oil and spice mix (see below).
Or with pizza sauce. Can add shredded cheese and /or breadcrumbs to make it more filling.

Frozen potato/ vegetable blintz/knish

Bread with cottage cheese or avocado and spice mix

Spice mix - my best kitchen hack yet
In an empty spice bottle fill with
One part (approx 1/4 of the bottle) onion powder
One part garlic powder
One part paprika
1/2 part salt
1/2 part black pepper

Shake well.
You can obviously adjust/add/remove to your preferences.
For some things you will need to add extra salt. the salt in the mix is not always enough (like in French fries)

Use on anything and everything. Some ideas in addition to the above -
Sprinkle on chicken bottoms and bake.
Add to Frozen French fries with oil and some additional salt
Spread with mayo on any fish (I like with salmon or flounder)

snooper86

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 9:03 pm
See if you’re local butcher has prepped chicken cutlets you can just put into the oven, maybe have your husband transfer to a bekela the night before or in the morning.

Edited to add:

You can buy a box of mamas potato knishes and have your kids add ketchup and cheese before popping into the oven.

Last edited by snooper86 on Mon, Jan 09 2023, 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics