Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
Writing for magazines - Awful process
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 1:26 pm
This is probably more like a vent question but it feels so unfair that you first need to write an article and only then do they tell you if you're rejected.

Imagine you'd tell a graphic designer submit pieces and we'll see which ones we use if any at all (we'll probably just reject all) and then we'll let you know if we want one and we'll pay you.

So you're gonna say well no graphic designer would do that, they're not interested in working for free. And I guess that's the problem; writers *want* to get out their words to people. So they just take this awful treatment.And yes I think it's awful the way you put your heart and soul and then get a rejection or you don't get any response.

Maybe writers need to stand up and say hey we won't do this! We can have a portfolio where you can see our style and then we can submit a pitch to write an article about x (I understand the interview and feature articles are that way but the personal musings and stories are not) and then they can tell you if they'd like it. If yes, we go ahead and write it. If not, not. Unless we want to just for ourselves.

The process just sucks. I feel like I have really interesting, intriguing stuff to share in articles but because of this process I'm so turned off and I know that 99% I'll get a rejection so like it's not worth it.

And then people say "well, the most successful writers got tons and tons of rejections" ok, good on them that they had the courage and perseverance and confidence to keep going but many many people don't and it's a shame that their stuff aren't being seen because of it.

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 1:31 pm
From my own personal experience, I got the feel that magazine editors have a sense of entitlement across the board. It really turns me off and I often wonder what keeps those steady writers coming back.
It's a tough line. I get it. BTDT.

ETA: Disclaimer: I have not worked with all magazines out there, so I cannot really say that this is the case with every magazine. But from the one's I have worked with that was my experience.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 1:35 pm
You’re right. It’s really frustrating.

BUT magazines have staff writers for when they have a specific article they want written. It’s not like searching for a graphic designer for a specific project because they already have that. And also, once you’ve written something, you can submit it to hundreds of places. There just isn’t a market for freelance writers to write about whatever they want. If you want a consistent writing job for a magazine, you try to get on staff but then you’re writing what they want you to write the majority of the time. Same with graphic design or any kind of creative work, you can’t have it both ways

amother
Zinnia

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 1:48 pm
Ya. I'm an excellent writer with a very resonate and funny style. Whenever I write something people always say why don't you write for (insert Jewish magazine)?
I would be a really good columnist. I'm positive of it but it doesn't matter. Breaking into the frum magazine world is impossible for most of us.
My writing is basically wasted talent. Every once in a while I think of writing a book of musings. Pipe dream.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 1:51 pm
My friend writes for one of the magazines. She’s on the staff and is given a few topics to write on each week. They prefer to have people work for them full time and not publish random articles people send in.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 1:54 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:
Ya. I'm an excellent writer with a very resonate and funny style. Whenever I write something people always say why don't you write for (insert Jewish magazine)?
I would be a really good columnist. I'm positive of it but it doesn't matter. Breaking into the frum magazine world is impossible for most of us.
My writing is basically wasted talent. Every once in a while I think of writing a book of musings. Pipe dream.

Yep
Soul sisters we are

shaqued_almond

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 1:56 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:

If you will it, it's not a dream

amother
Dandelion

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 1:57 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:

Maybe try copywriting, it can be well paid.

amother
Zinnia

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 1:59 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:
Maybe try copywriting, it can well paid.

Copywriting is not entertaining and resonate. I have thought of it though.

amother
Dandelion

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 2:01 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:

Maybe not the same as writing articles but it can totally be the above, it's a huge field and you can find your niche.

amother
Chestnut

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 2:13 pm
I work in the frum magazine industry. If you're actually really good, you'll get published. These magazines are desperate for material and good writers.

amother
Obsidian

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 2:16 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
I work in the frum magazine industry. If you're actually really good, you'll get published. These magazines are desperate for material and good writers.

I beg to differ. I’ve written for all the major magazines numerous times and was offered a position as a staff writer. The pay is pathetic and writers are at the whims of the editorial staff. They keep asking me to write more but won’t budge on the pay. Please excuse me while I actually earn a living wage.

amother
Chestnut

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 2:17 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
I beg to differ. I’ve written for all the major magazines numerous times and was offered a position as a staff writer. The pay is pathetic and writers are at the whims of the editorial staff. They keep asking me to write more but won’t budge on the pay. Please excuse me while I actually earn a living wage.

?? I never said they pay well. People were complaining that they get pieces rejected, and my answer is that if you're a really good writer and know what the magazines are looking for you won't get your stuff rejected. The pay however, is low.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 2:23 pm
Ami has such repetitive writers.

I find it super boring to have the same style across their magezine pages for years.

I love their articles but I think they need some variation.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 2:29 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
My friend writes for one of the magazines. She’s on the staff and is given a few topics to write on each week. They prefer to have people work for them full time and not publish random articles people send in.

I really enjoy the occasional random articles.

DustyDiamonds

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 2:32 pm
It’s so interesting, because I feel like the quality of the writing has gone down in recent years. I used to be able to sit and read the frum magazines for hours on Shabbos afternoon. Now I’m usually done in less than an hour. I start every article, but I stop the ones that don’t hold my interest.

That being said, this is not a frum issue.

Breaking into the secular writing world is extremely challenging. I’ve dabbled in it and took some writing classes and paid some coaches and listened to podcasts. It’s an extremely competitive field.

That’s how some fields are. Think about artists. Most paint nice pictures but rarely get anyone to pay them significantly for their art, despite their best efforts.

DVOM

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 2:48 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:

Ahhhhh! I tried so hard to hold back, but I just can't anymore!

Your not using the word 'resonate' correctly. You'd like your writing to resonate with readers. You believe your writing has resonance. But saying 'copywriting is not resonate' and 'my writing is resonate' is not proper English.

Ok! Sorry! Grammer police signing off now!

watergirl

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 2:56 pm
DVOM wrote:

Your not using the word 'resonate' correctly. You'd like your writing to resonate with readers. You believe your writing has resonance. But saying 'copywriting is not resonate' and 'my writing is resonate' is not proper English.

I think she meant to say that the idea of copywriting does not resonate with her. As in, "copywriting is not entertaining [for me, as a job], therefor the idea does not resonate [with me]".

amf

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 2:59 pm
DVOM wrote:

This, so much. Amother zinnia, perhaps the reason your writings haven't been accepted by magazines is because even though you've got the raw talent, you've never honed it into a sellable product.

Also, as a copywriter, I respectfully but completely disagree with your comment. I do agree, though, that a writer does not a copywriter make. Two totally different skillsets.

DVOM

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 2:59 pm
And while I'm at it....

Your title. The word 'dispensible' is being used to describe 'writing'. Writing itself is not dispensable. I think what you mean to say is that writers are dispensable, as in, the writers and their talents are being treated like they are disposable.

Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry! I don't know what's gotten into me the day! Just....errrrrrr!!!.... improper grammer digs into my brain like a vicious little worm! Such relief to get this off my chest!
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics