Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Boys high school

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 9:15 am
Looking for a boys high school with a good yeshiviah learning reputation and some secular studies. There's got to be something, right? It seems to me unreal that no one cares about secular studies at the high school level like my mother in law said

Sebastian

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 9:18 am
Chofetz chaim

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 9:18 am
Where are you, and where are you willing to send (geographically and hashkafically)? This certainly exists. Would you send to Queens?

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 9:26 am
What part of the planet are we talking about? Can you narrow it down?

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 9:30 am
What do you consider "good" English? What do you consider "yeshivish"

Philly
Ner Yisrael

Have decent English. (Maybe Shlanger's? I'm not familiar).

I also think chofetz chaim schools and Brooklyn schools do as well.
Maybe some of the other oot yeshivas that have been around forever.

Lakewood schools? My manahel said that even if the school says they have English it's not what anyone over 40 thinks of as English and you will be disappointed.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 9:49 am
I live in Brooklyn and my son currently goes to Tiferes Elimelech. Had I known that they don't take secular studies seriously there, I would have sent to Chaim Berlin or Cheder.

Willing to send anywhere in the US

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 10:42 am
How about Darchei in Far Rockaway? They award regents diplomas AFAIK.

Edited to add: I think they may have a handful of AP
classes as well.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 10:58 am
Look into Kol Torah in the five towns
It's a chofetz chaim but on the more yeshivish end as far as CC schools go
https://www.yeshivakoltorah.org/

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 10:59 am
amother Sage wrote:
How about Darchei in Far Rockaway? They award regents diplomas AFAIK.

Edited to add: I think they may have a handful of AP
classes as well.

My husband thinks it's not a good option, probably something to do with wanting his kids to be rosh yeshivas even though half of Brooklyn and all of Lakewood do so they can all live on their wives and tell their wives how great they are for helping around the house even though if the positions were switched the wife wouldn't be considered doing more than her fair share and probably be considered doing less

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 11:18 am
I was also thinking of Darchei Torah in FR, but if that's not yeshivish enough for you, your options for reasonable English will be extremely limited. Philly might be your best bet, but it's almost impossible to get in, so you definitely need a plan B. Shaar HaTorah in Queens also has reasonable English and may be an option.

The English in in-town yeshivos is definitely better than Tiferes Elimelech, but that's not saying much, and in high schools it's really taken a big step down of late. Even Chaim Berlin switched from its previous curriculum to a new program called Lifeprep. I believe the Cheder hasn't done so yet, so perhaps that could be an option, but definitely ask lots of question about their English before making any plans.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 11:44 am
Mesivta of carteret has an english program.

amother
Daylily

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 11:46 am
amother OP wrote:
I live in Brooklyn and my son currently goes to Tiferes Elimelech. Had I known that they don't take secular studies seriously there, I would have sent to Chaim Berlin or Cheder.

I don't know how serious cb and cheder take English studies either. AFAIK torah vdaas prob more serious in English than the others.

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 1:08 pm
Ner Yisroel in Baltimore and Kesser Torah in Baltimore.
Both are solid yeshivos with solid english programs.

mha3484

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 1:12 pm
Eitz chaim in chicago is modeled after philly. I dont have much experience since my son is not mesivta age yet but I am under the impression they expect the boys to take english seriously.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 9:01 pm
How's secular studies in Novominsk in Boro Park?

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 9:55 pm
amother OP wrote:

Chain Berlin and the cheder don't have good English either. Those are all the most yeshivish schools in Brooklyn.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 9:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
My husband thinks it's not a good option, probably something to do with wanting his kids to be rosh yeshivas even though half of Brooklyn and all of Lakewood do so they can all live on their wives and tell their wives how great they are for helping around the house even though if the positions were switched the wife wouldn't be considered doing more than her fair share and probably be considered doing less

OP, I'm not asking to be mean, but are you and dh on the same page hashkafically? It sounds like he wants more yeshivish schools, and you want less yeshivish schools. In general, the more yeshivish a school the lower the quality of the English curriculum
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics