Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Tora Temima in Brooklyn

bumpkin2

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:28 am
I heard they are trying to change it back to be more yeshivish like it used to be? Whats the latest update with this school? How selective are they in interviewing or do they just take anyone and all stripes still? How are they with getting services for younger students? Where do most of the boys go for HS and Beis Midrash? Do they turn out learners or mostly earners these days? What’s the current parent body like? Do the majority of families have tvs, devices and the like?

amother
Cognac

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:46 am
Hi! My son is in YTT now. He started there in upper elementary, and is now in Mesivta. The parent body (in his grade, can't speak for the younger ones) is mostly balabatish, ehrlich and middle of the road. The boys in his class are really wonderful and refined. They're serious about their learning. I would imagine most parents have smartphones, and there are no rules about filters etc (unlike the school my other boys are in). The boys are not allowed to have devices with internet. I would say the hanhala is encouraging a yeshivish lifestyle for the boys, but I don't necessarily see that they're only accepting yeshivish parents. Of my son's elementary class, a good portion continued on to YTT for high school. The boys who left went to other very mainstream Brooklyn mesivtas.

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 8:42 am
I just took my son in for an interview and as we were in the directors office, they handed me a phone to watch a video (in front of my child)! I couldn't believe it! We are a strictly NO device, NO internet, etc home so I was a little bit shocked. This probably indicates that they are more of a device/tv-friendly school than not.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:10 am
I would not consider it one of the more yeshivish schools in flatbush.

Also, even if they want to be more yeshivish, the reality is that there aren't too many yeshivish families left in Flatbush, and most belong to chaim berlin. So I doubt they are going to be highly selective in who they take. Most schools in flatbush take basically anyone at this point if they want at a chance at having decent size classes.

I just recently went through this with my dd. I applied to a certain school but I wasn't sure how yeshividh it is at this point. The principal was honest with me that they don't really control the demographics of ths school so much anymore. She said any school that tells you they don't have room is lying. And therefore most schools will pretty much accept everyone (unless it's really really really not a fit like someone totally not frum or something).

Choose a school based on the parent body you see now. Not based on what they want to be or are trying to be because it probably won't happen.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries