Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cruise ships, etc during a recession. How do ppl afford it?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Did you go on vacation this year/yeshiva week?
Yes but family paid for it  
 4%  [ 10 ]
Yes but paid for it through cc points  
 6%  [ 15 ]
Yes, but saved up for it and have everything else, including tuition fully paid up  
 10%  [ 26 ]
Yes, I am rich and can afford to do as I please  
 7%  [ 19 ]
Yes, but went into debt for it  
 0%  [ 1 ]
No, I can afford it but will save the money for real needs  
 13%  [ 33 ]
No, I can afford it but I am working and couldnt take time off  
 10%  [ 25 ]
No, would love to go but cant afford it  
 37%  [ 93 ]
Other, will explain in comments  
 9%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 245

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:25 pm
amother White wrote:
It's your choice wether to look at those videos or not. I choose to watch them because I really enjoy them. I enjoy seeing exotic interesting places and cruise ships.

True. I’m not on Instagram for that reason, it’s a bunch of people showing off their wigs clothing husbands children homes vacations etc.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:40 pm
Chaya123 wrote:
We don't have yeshiva week. We have off Friday and Monday and that's just for the girls schools. DH and I both have work. Either way, we wouldn't take off a week and visit FL. It's not our budget or hashkafa. But would be nice to be off on vacation...

Same. In the Chasidish world generally mid-winter is not a thing. Some girls schools give a couple days off, kids are lucky if they get to go to the mall or ice skating. Boys don't get any days off.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:43 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
Same. In the Chasidish world generally mid-winter is not a thing. Some girls schools give a couple days off, kids are lucky if they get to go to the mall or ice skating. Boys don't get any days off.

My kids in chassidish schools have mid winter Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Many families go away from before shabbos till Tuesday. They're not the only school on this schedule.

amother
Tomato

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
So many people are on cruise ships now and going next week as well. So many people going to expensive hotels to go skiing and do other things like traveling to Florida and whatnot. Others are paying hundreds of dollars to do things at American Dream mall. How do people afford these things at this time? So many people are struggling, around 40 thousand people were laid off this week (probably more than that but these are the big tech companies that have made this public and more companies have said they are planning on laying off employees so things are really bad now), so many people complaining about losing food stamps and not being able to afford food, so many people cant afford rent and are being evicted, tuition is going up, eggs and prices for other things are skyrocketing, etc. How are people still able to afford to go on cruise ships and expensive vacations?

Don’t be jealous. I know a family that went away, goes away, and husband has girlfriend after girlfriend.
You don’t know what’s happening in other peoples houses.

amother
Catmint

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 11:20 pm
Can’t afford it.
Had a baby last week so kids think we can’t do even day trips because of the baby.

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 11:22 pm
BH we don't live paycheck to paycheck and have a budget line item for vacation savings.
We haven't traveled as a family since way before covid and we went on a much needed wonderful family vacation recently.
I hope people aren't judging me (I don't post on social media).

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 11:30 pm
amother NeonPurple wrote:
You have no idea what's going on in other people's lives. It may hurt you to see others going on what you view as fabulous vacations, and it may hurt them more to see you settled at home with your happy family (I hope) while they are going through who knows what.

In an ideal world, everyone would be able to do everything they wanted. In this world, fargin other people the way you want to be fargined, please. (I know it's not easy, but it's necessary for your own peace of mind.)

I totally agree!!! You have no idea why people are going away. BH we have multiple high needs children who are quite….rambunctious. If I didn’t get a break I would lose my mind. I would literally have a breakdown. We are not rich, we are comfortable. bH my husband does well and brings home a nice paycheck. We make sure to pay full tuition for all of our children. Some are in schools which cost upwards of $20,000. We make sure to get away twice a year, because I need it. I can see the difference when we go away vs. when we are mot able to.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 11:47 pm
amother Catmint wrote:
Can’t afford it.
Had a baby last week so kids think we can’t do even day trips because of the baby.

Mazal tov!!!

amother
Daffodil

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 12:08 am
Agree with the commenter that said she seems to be the only one effected by inflation- I feel like that too. Everyone around me seems to be spending more than ever, and we’re barely making it through the month. This year has been our hardest year since we got married 15 years ago as far as finances. We have no money in the bank.
As far as winter break, we’ve actually never gone away before but this year we had a Simcha in LA over vacation (very close family, couldnt miss it) and found cheap tickets on spirit so we made a trip of it because the timing was in our favor. We were offered a place to stay by a neighbor of the Baal Simcha who was gracious to host us for 6 days instead of just being the weekend, and we had a blast.
I feel so blessed that we were able to do it, and it was we so rejuvenating and good for my kids that for the first time ever, I felt sad that this is something we don’t experience each year. We made such great memories and did such fun things that were once in a lifetime. For my kids, the buildup leading up to the trip was almost as fun as the trip itself , the lists , the packing , discussing it etc .
I personally don’t mind when people post their vacations although I myself happen to think that over-posting and shoving everything in peoples faces in general is pathetic. The glutinousness of posting food , restaurants , workouts , activities , love letters to spouses on their bdays and anniversaries when the spouses don’t even have instagram …. I tell my kids that the people who do that , the ones who so badly crave the validation from strangers on social media, are probably lacking emotionally in some way.
But OP, try and stay away from social during Yeshiva week if it’s hard for you.

a2z

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 1:15 am
Me live in Israel we no have yeshiva week.
What בכלל is thees ting?
מה זה השטויות האלה רבש"ע!!!!!!!!
שה' ישמור! יש חופש! בסדר, אבל למה צריך להוציא כל כך הרבה כסף על שטויות! זה מבחיל לגמרי כל מה שאני שומעת על yeshiva week
תשארו בבית או תחליפו דירה למה להוציא ככה כמפותות של כסף?!
כאן בארץ יש ילדים שרעבים ללחם!!
במקום להוציא כסף על שטויות תתרמו להם ותלכו לאטרקציות קרוב לבית!
שה' ישמור אתכם
אוהבת אתכם אחיות יקרות שלי
באהבה
אני Heart

amother
Melon

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 1:28 am
We live in Israel and have family in America. We don't have much money, but it is a priority for our kids to get to know their family in America, so we do spend on a yearly trip. Also, we are not the kind of people whose family supports them, and we would never get money for a stam vacation, but two different family members contributed a significant amount of money toward our travel expenses, because they wanted to see us and our kids as well. So we paid about 1/3 the total expenses.

I voted "other".

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 1:49 am
We work, no vacation for us. My girls have off a few days, my boys do not. I buy some cheap fun page books, painting supplies, pizza or ice cream ordered in if they're lucky, and that's our winter vacation. Calm and relaxing.

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 5:42 am
I voted other.

I only have 2 kids for now and they're toddlers so it's not as expensive as traveling with a bunch of people...

We struggle financially and live paycheck to paycheck.
But recently someone offered me a one time job to take in a special needs girl for the weekend and an organization would pay me for every hour I take care of her. (Including nights)
It was a super hard job and with my already hard life, I wouldn't have taken up this offer for anything else.
But I needed to get a break for a little so I worked super hard that weekend and made a little over a thousand dollars. That's what we used to spend on our vacation this year. It wasn't fancy but covered the necessities (like food, stay...)

I'm really lucky I got this opportunity.

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 6:26 am
We live in Israel and travel to our parents on 2 different continants for Pesach and Tishrei so we get to have a vacation twice a year.

We also do stopovers on the way to explore different cities which actually comes out cheaper.

We only pay for the tickets one YT a year and it's not too crazy so I voted other.

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 6:35 am
We drove to visit family (stayed for free) and did cheap and free things there (ice skating for under $20 , museums where we just paid parking, walk to the ice cream store, etc). So if you ask my kids we had the best vacation ever and went away, but really we only spent around $100 (and my husband worked from there since he didn't have time off)

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 7:03 am
What cruises are people going on? Confused about the logistics.

We’re going away for Pesach, so saving up for that.

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 7:06 am
amother OP wrote:
So many people are on cruise ships now and going next week as well. So many people going to expensive hotels to go skiing and do other things like traveling to Florida and whatnot. Others are paying hundreds of dollars to do things at American Dream mall. How do people afford these things at this time? So many people are struggling, around 40 thousand people were laid off this week (probably more than that but these are the big tech companies that have made this public and more companies have said they are planning on laying off employees so things are really bad now), so many people complaining about losing food stamps and not being able to afford food, so many people cant afford rent and are being evicted, tuition is going up, eggs and prices for other things are skyrocketing, etc. How are people still able to afford to go on cruise ships and expensive vacations?

The US has 159 million employees. 40,000 layoffs still leaves 158,960,000 who can go on vacation. Seriously, the people complaining about lowered food stamps and the price of eggs are not the ones going on the cruise ships.

There are always going to be thousands of our neighbors, shul members, kids classmates etc. who do $60,000 succos in Israel vacations, drive top of the line cars, live in palatial homes, and shop in high end stores. We live in a very mixed society unlike in the secular world.

You have a choice. You can look at everyone else and take polls and talk about their lack of priorities when it comes to tuition their unhealthy level of debt and so on. It’s your right. But you will end up bitter and unhappy.

The sooner we stop looking at the other folks and their cheshbonos and realize that we can be absolutely as happy, if not happier, with our family in our own homes the better off we will be. Yes there are some who go and don’t pay full tuition. Some have valid cheshbonos. Some don’t. But if we focus and obsess on them we are only hurting ourselves..

So break out the board games, whip up some waffles, ice cream and hot chocolate, and spend some cozy, quality, enjoyable time with your kids at home, even if it’s weekends and around your work schedule. It’s your family and home. Make the most of it.

essie14

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 7:56 am
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
What cruises are people going on? Confused about the logistics.

We’re going away for Pesach, so saving up for that.

Royal Caribbean has a kosher option for yeshiva week. Tons of frum people are there. It's all over Instagram.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 8:10 am
We live basically paycheck to paycheck and we got a dansdeals for cheap tickets to fly away…we will be staying in a villa with family members…our whole vacation will be around $700 (we have 2 kids) and my husband worked extra hours to get that money…so we’re not going in to debt and we’re not rich!

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 8:24 am
essie14 wrote:
Royal Caribbean has a kosher option for yeshiva week. Tons of frum people are there. It's all over Instagram.

And from what I saw, the kosher food option is extra and the food is not good.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics