Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
1%, 2%, skim, or whole?
Previous  1  2

What kind of milk do you have in your fridge?
1%  
 20%  [ 20 ]
2%  
 22%  [ 22 ]
skim  
 21%  [ 21 ]
whole  
 27%  [ 27 ]
other  
 8%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 98

cubbie

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 2:37 am
I just buy whole as dh and dd's drink it, I would buy 0% for me, but I use so little (in my tea in the morning) that I don't think it's worth it, so I use the whole milk too

Pizza

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 3:22 am
When the kids were little, we had whole and skim in the fridge
Since we got to Israel, it is hard for me to find skim here, so we buy the lo-fat (red bag)

BTW, I used to substitute lo-fat into the 2-3% carton (in the US) until my dh got used to it. I do the same thing with other food items - non-Heinz ketchup, fake mayonnaise, etc. I also mix whole wheat noodles with white noodles, and brown and white rice, until the family becomes accustomed to the healthier / cheaper / not as unhealthy item. Its a good way to convince resistent eaters to a shift in eating habits

Amital

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 6:56 am
Put my vote down for another combo! We have whole for the kids and skim for the adults.

mommy24

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 8:27 am
whole milk only, my kids are too skinny to switch to the blue , I think that 2% not sure, I wouldn't do skim milk it looks too watered down. Really I should buy the blue milk for my husband , but I feel like it will get wasted for the 4 cups of cofee and 3 bowls of cereal through out the week.

willow

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 8:40 am
I have never seen skim here in Israel so 1% it is

freidasima

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 10:03 am
We usually drink 3% which is the regular, and I drink soy. Dh hasn't had milk since Bar Mitzva, the men on his side of the family don't drink milk ever, bad for them...we used to use 1% but a friend whose mother is a doctor told me that her mother saw it in her fridge and said she might as well drink water with a bit of white paint in it...not worth anything for calcium absorption. So we all went back to 3. The boys, as I wrote, don't drink it, the girls like chocolate milk sometimes.. I used to love it but also gave it up ages ago...

sky

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 2:38 pm
skim, 1% and whole. I'm glad to see I'm not the only onw with a rainbow of bottles in my fridge.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 5:43 pm
Are the Israeli women still generally buying milk in bags? I've been buying mehadrin milk in cartons for years at the supermarket. My makolet only carries mehadrin milk in bags, though.

We use whole milk (3%) because our kids are mostly low weight, and babies under two should drink whole milk anyway (if they no longer nurse, and if they are not allergic). The lowfat (1%) is supposed to have a higher percentage of protein to fat - it's not just watered down milk. Right or wrong?

jemappelle

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 10:14 pm
rice dream, and as my son calls it "from mommy's tummy"
when my mother comes she calls to remind me to get her the 1% for her coffee

willow

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 5:39 am
Why don't they have skim here (Israel)? Is 1% something like that?

freidasima

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 6:19 am
Isramom it's just watered down milk as far as I know.

Also look at the numbers at the bottom of the carton. That tells you how many times it has been pasteurized. Anything like 1 (which you rarely find) or 2 is healthy, by 3 you are "so so" and 4 and 5 have very little nutrition left...so I learned from middle dd...

Isramom8

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 6:37 am
From the website below:
Skim milk is not watered down whole milk. Skim milk has 99 percent of the butterfat removed. Nutritionally, the only difference between these milks, is the fat content. The blue color you see is from the riboflavin content in skim milk which is not camouflaged by the yellow cream that has been removed from two-percent milk.
http://www.dietitian.com/milk.html

Pizza

Post Fri, Jun 20 2008, 7:42 am
I have seen skim here, but rarely - I think its pink
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics