Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Why are Chasidim moving to Florida?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 6:59 am
Most chssidishe families have many kids. If the kids are able to play outside instead of rotting away indoors like they do in NY that's a big plus.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:02 am
amother Hyacinth wrote:
Or parts of Canada, with good health insurance and English everywhere except Quebec?

Guys, you're all welcome to Toronto!
We have a really nice chassidish community here!

amother
Pear

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:05 am
amother Chartreuse wrote:
Guys, you're all welcome to Toronto!
We have a really nice chassidish community here!

But not affordable, if I'm not mistaken.
Also, citizenship issues.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:06 am
amother Pear wrote:
But not affordable, if I'm not mistaken.
Also, citizenship issues.

True.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:08 am
amother Lightcoral wrote:
Adjust, as in what? Get rid of shtreimel altogether?
I happen to love chassidish levush.

No, I mean lighter weight shtriemels!

And clothing.

But maybe it should become the norm not to have to walk around the the full levush always.

I think shirt/polo shirt with tzizis and pants is good enough for people who want to feel better in the heat.

It shouldn't be such a statement, that's my point.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:13 am
I'm laughing because I wear beige tights and I hate it.

My biggest argument against it is that I freeze in the winter and feel so out of place when everyone's legs are properly covered.

I guess it would be great for the women LOL

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:13 am
amother Bronze wrote:
Did they tell you that they viewed him as chilled for wearing swim trunks? Scratching Head

I live in KJ and basically any man that I know wears swim trunks whenever they do water activity and definitely removes their hat before touching water so I find this a bit bizarre.

No but they spoke to him in a broken English and spoke to him like an outsider.

I think they just didn't think of him as a typical chassidish yungerman.

They were shmoozing whilst enjoying themselves. He told them which cheder and yeshivos he went to.

Come on, you know when you're viewed as part of Inzere and when they are a little suspicious and just being polite.

They made a great impression otherwise btw.

amother
Hunter

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:28 am
Op voiced a legitimate question. There's a world of options and it does seem bizarre when you think about it that chassidish oilem would pick a place that is so hot.

In actuality, it simply evolved. Chassidish people have been going to vacation in Florida for more than 50 years, usually in the winter when the weather is great. While there, they're enjoying kosher food, shuls and other amenities. We go sightseeing and many 9f the men are in real estate and always on the lookout for opportunities.

Add on that we are seriously under attack in NY . Florida is a Republican state and most chassidish people are Republican. There's school choice which helps people struggling with tuition, no income tax, very low real estate tax. It's actually a very good option for chassidish men.

For women, though, it's not so simple. There's no public transportation and scarce car services making life very difficult for chassidish women, the majority of whom don't drive. There's very little kosher food I the potential new developments, for now, making shopping a whole job.

Getting back to the clothing issue, I wear a covered sheitel. No way would I survive 93 degrees with high humidity for 8 months of the year. It's miserable enough here in ny in the summer months. I am sure if someone does some serious research, it would be possible to find somewhere in middle America that's better suited to a chassidish lifestyle.

Btw, it turns out all those developments being discussed are not so cheap.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:33 am
NY summers are Humid and yucky. We learn to wear the Levush, we wear it in hot weather, snow flurries, rain, hurricanes. Chassidim are moving cause its hard to live in NY. If you are hot, you'll keep the AC on 24/7.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:44 am
I guess for the same reason that Deal, originally just a summer destination for Syrians, has become a year-round home for many. NJ isn’t that different from NY, but you definitely get more space, different environment, the beach. And down in FL, warmer weather for those who don’t like the cold, a chance to perhaps own instead of rent forever.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:18 am
amother Hunter wrote:

I was actually surprised to hear numbers like 600k. That doesn't sound cheap enough to move states. All those plane tickets back to visit family, possible hit in salary, more expensive kosher food just doesn't seem worthwhile for that much money on a house.
I'm sure there are closer options but being that we are human and creatures of habit, people will quicker uproot and relocate to a place that's farther but familiar.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:27 am
amother DarkOrange wrote:
I was actually surprised to hear numbers like 600k. That doesn't sound cheap enough to move states. All those plane tickets back to visit family, possible hit in salary, more expensive kosher food just doesn't seem worthwhile for that much money on a house.
I'm sure there are closer options but being that we are human and creatures of habit, people will quicker uproot and relocate to a place that's farther but familiar.

How about in many areas a decent house (which usually needs a lot of work) is upwards of 2-3 million.
A small condo is 1 million+.
It's actually a very good price for those considering the move.
No state tax can save thousands a year.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:30 am
amother Hunter wrote:
Op voiced a legitimate question. There's a world of options and it does seem bizarre when you think about it that chassidish oilem would pick a place that is so hot.

In actuality, it simply evolved. Chassidish people have been going to vacation in Florida for more than 50 years, usually in the winter when the weather is great. While there, they're enjoying kosher food, shuls and other amenities. We go sightseeing and many 9f the men are in real estate and always on the lookout for opportunities.

Add on that we are seriously under attack in NY . Florida is a Republican state and most chassidish people are Republican. There's school choice which helps people struggling with tuition, no income tax, very low real estate tax. It's actually a very good option for chassidish men.

For women, though, it's not so simple. There's no public transportation and scarce car services making life very difficult for chassidish women, the majority of whom don't drive. There's very little kosher food I the potential new developments, for now, making shopping a whole job.

Getting back to the clothing issue, I wear a covered sheitel. No way would I survive 93 degrees with high humidity for 8 months of the year. It's miserable enough here in ny in the summer months. I am sure if someone does some serious research, it would be possible to find somewhere in middle America that's better suited to a chassidish lifestyle.

Most Florida's don't wear shaitels just on errands etc. Just wear whatever tichel you're comfortable with & save the shaitel for indoors & special occasions. Really no biggie.

I find this op bizarre at best. We chasidim are used to dressing a certain way regardless of weather, it won't generally effect out choice of city to live in. There is so much more involved like finances, housing, Healthcare, safety, religious freedom, etc etc, weather is nice but not the main attraction.

To suggest Canada ( religious school problems, nude public photos, very expensive housing) just for the weather, or Alaska (high cost of living, far from anything, hard to get supplies, dark for months etc) is just What

amother
Mulberry

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:32 am
I brought up with chassidish DH the idea of moving to FL, and he was like, "No way, NY is hot enough for me. If anything I'd move to Montreal." Well, I hate the cold, so as a compromise, we're staying in NY. Smile

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:36 am
amother Lightcoral wrote:
How about in many areas a decent house (which usually needs a lot of work) is upwards of 2-3 million.
A small condo is 1 million+.
It's actually a very good price for those considering the move.
No state tax can save thousands a year.

I disagree. $600k is high especially for a new community in the middle of nowhere.

I paid $600k in an established community less than 2 hours to brooklyn.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:36 am
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
Most Florida's don't wear shaitels just on errands etc. Just wear whatever tichel you're comfortable with & save the shaitel for indoors & special occasions. Really no biggie.

I find this op bizarre at best. We chasidim are used to dressing a certain way regardless of weather, it won't generally effect out choice of city to live in. There is so much more involved like finances, housing, Healthcare, safety, religious freedom, etc etc, weather is nice but not the main attraction.

To suggest Canada ( religious school problems, nude public photos, very expensive housing) just for the weather, or Alaska (high cost of living, far from anything, hard to get supplies, dark for months etc) is just What

This.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:42 am
My DH is not American and grew up in a warm climate. He always comments about how strange it is that frum Jews in the US chose to live in such cold areas . Think NY, NJ, Chicago etc.
He’s so happy that finally more and more communities are “coming to their senses” and moving to warmer areas. He’d suffer through any extreme heat , to avoid NY winters .

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:44 am
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
I disagree. $600k is high especially for a new community in the middle of nowhere.

I paid $600k in an established community less than 2 hours to brooklyn.

I don't know which community you're referring to.
But, the communities I know of near Brooklyn, such as Staten Island and Linden are way less affordable.
And many people are eager to move away from Liberal trashy NY.

amother
Rainbow

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 9:11 am
amother Anemone wrote:
Most chssidishe families have many kids. If the kids are able to play outside instead of rotting away indoors like they do in NY that's a big plus.

For several months of the year, FL kids mostly play inside bec of the heat (unless they're at a outdoor pool). They aren't going bike riding in the heat of the summer.

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 9:22 am
I’m Chassidish and I have the same question as OP.

Florida in the summer is not for a chassid, not Levush wise and not for one of who cares about shemuras einayim.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating