Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
I know this guy! (Stand By Serial in Family First)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Offwhite

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 5:25 pm
amother Denim wrote:
Well, as someone who lived that lifestyle, dating at that age and older, moving out of my parents' home, having single friends of that age in and out of various shidduch dating, situations, to me the dialogue does not read as real or refreshing. It's very off the mark and artificial sounding. That's just not how girls in that age and stage speak or act IRL, whether it’s on their dates or with their friends.

I understand it may seem refreshing and different to someone who hasn't lived that lifestyle, because it's a bit different than the usual stock characters in a frum story. But maybe that's just a sign that the serials need to branch out a bit more, though generally the best ones are when authors stick to what they know.

But, your experience is just your experience. It doesn't mean that everyone else at that stage, experiences it the same as you.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 6:45 pm
I don't get it why did that guy (I'm assuming it was Ari's chavrusa) do that?
He doesn't want him to get married? I mean, this guys gonna get married to someone eventually will he stop every shidduch?

cupcake123

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 6:53 pm
amother NeonYellow wrote:
He doesn't want him to get married? I mean, this guys gonna get married to someone eventually will he stop every shidduch?

Was thinking the same... maybe he's hoping ari will change eventually?

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 6:59 pm
amother Offwhite wrote:
But, your experience is just your experience. It doesn't mean that everyone else at that stage, experiences it the same as you.

Ask any single girl you know in her upper 20s or older if she thinks the dialogue comes off as realistic let alone the ridiculous escapade of faking a hair covering in a frum store esp one where she feels too uncomfortable to otherwise shop bec people either stare at her or ignore her.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 7:10 pm
Isn't the chavrusa one of the 4 friends brother? Or did I make that up?

amother
Narcissus

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 7:38 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:

No
He's Chayala's friend's brother

amother
Aconite

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 7:38 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:

His sister is good friends with one of the 4 friends. So obviously he cares about her getting hurt by this guy who he views as dysfunctional. He learns with Ari so he knows what Ari is like and doesn't want to see his sister's friend hurt.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 8:06 pm
amother Aconite wrote:
His sister is good friends with one of the 4 friends. So obviously he cares about her getting hurt by this guy who he views as dysfunctional. He learns with Ari so he knows what Ari is like and doesn't want to see his sister's friend hurt.

does he even know who Ari is dating? I don't think it ever mentions that he knows, unless I missed it.

amother
Aconite

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 8:22 pm
does he even know who Ari is dating? I don't think it ever mentions that he knows, unless I missed it.

Gosh! I thought I remembered he knew who Ari was dating. I definitely remember that a few weeks back he was trying to talk to his mother about Ari and how dysfunctional he is but she brushed him off.

amother
Silver

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 8:29 pm

I think not, which would explain why he doesn't just have his sister talk to Dassi about Ari.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 8:31 pm
I'm not convinced it's the chavrusa...waiting to see who it really is.

And just curious...as someone who's always been ignored in trendy frum stores...anyone here think they are ignored less often post-marriage?

amother
Narcissus

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 8:40 pm
amother Silver wrote:
I think not, which would explain why he doesn't just have his sister talk to Dassi about Ari.

His sister and dassi aren't friends
They're both friends with Chayala

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 8:46 pm
Ari's behavior this week was so unhinged... I would hope that Dassi would fall off the shidduch even without the anonymous chavrusah's intervention.

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 7:27 am

He shouldn't want him to get married, at least not at this point. Right now Ari is not marriage material. Whoever marries him is in for a miserable life. If anon doesn't know about a shidduch he can't stop it. But if he knows, he absolutely should save a girl from a lifetime of misery.

amother
Steel

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 7:46 am
amother Honey wrote:
He shouldn't want him to get married, at least not at this point. Right now Ari is not marriage material. Whoever marries him is in for a miserable life. If anon doesn't know about a shidduch he can't stop it. But if he knows, he absolutely should save a girl from a lifetime of misery.

True!

amother
Vanilla

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 7:52 am
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
I'm not convinced it's the chavrusa...waiting to see who it really is.

And just curious...as someone who's always been ignored in trendy frum stores...anyone here think they are ignored less often post-marriage?

No of course not, we all know the truth, if you look like you have $ to spend you don't get ignored. But I live OOT and in general the workers in the non-Jewish stores are really helpful.

amother
Vanilla

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 7:55 am
amother Seafoam wrote:
Ari's behavior this week was so unhinged... I would hope that Dassi would fall off the shidduch even without the anonymous chavrusah's intervention.

I'm thinking he overheard Ari speaking to her that way and then went and sent the messages. Smart guy. We'll see what his unhinged behavior really looks like if he finds out that someone sent messages from his phone! Help!!!!

amother
Sunflower

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 7:56 am
amother Vanilla wrote:
No of course not, we all know the truth, if you look like you have $ to spend you don't get ignored. But I live OOT and in general the workers in the non-Jewish stores are really helpful.

I was thinking this too. Local frum stores by me will trip over their feet to help anyone who looks like they will spend. It doesn’t matter what is (or isn’t) on their head.

amother
Steel

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 7:59 am
amother Sunflower wrote:
I was thinking this too. Local frum stores by me will trip over their feet to help anyone who looks like they will spend. It doesn’t matter what is (or isn’t) on their head.

But lets be honest, a million high school age girls flood the shops with nothing to spend looking for sales. If your looking to make a sale you're looking for a nice diamond on the finger and an expensive looking sheital and bag, not a 12th grader.

amother
Sunflower

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 8:24 am
amother Steel wrote:
But lets be honest, a million high school age girls flood the shops with nothing to spend looking for sales. If you’re looking to make a sale you're looking for a nice diamond on the finger and an expensive looking sheital and bag, not a 12th grader.

These girls (women?) are a number of years past 12 grade. I’m sure they don’t look like 12th graders.
But no reason to debate a fiction serial lol. It’s fiction! Happens to be that in my neighborhood many 12th graders come with credit cards and are happy to spend. (And moms are happy not to have to spend endless hours shopping with DD’s.)
Also happens to be that I’m really enjoying this serial, realistic or not. Hey, it could be someone’s reality and double hey, who cares as long as I can escape into someone else’s drama for a short while. 😊
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room