Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Mehadrin restaurants by dead sea

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 4:29 am
Are there any mehadrin restaurants by the dead sea?

essie14

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 5:46 am
Cafe Greg in the Dead Sea mall

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 5:49 am
Just bumping this so that all those who asked can now let us know what they found...

Going Mon-weds and need to know how much kosher food to bring if there isn't anywhere to go.

Besides for cafe greg, are there any other milk/meat places to eat?

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 8:49 am
There is also a mehadrin Hummos Eliyahu there.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 10:24 am
We were at the dead sea recently (feb 2023). We are considered lenient with what hechsharim we eat.
Here is some clarification. Please ask your own rabbi what you can consider acceptable.
Greg cafe- beit Yosef (not commonly accepted, we eat it for Milchig only if don't have other options and are traveling)
Kotzefet- chug chasam sofer petach tikvah (not accepted across the board but we do eat it for an ice cream store)
Hummus eliyahu- bikat hayarden (not recognized as an acceptable hechsher, we do not eat it)

All other eateries either did not have a hechsher or were the bikat hayarden hechsher.

As a side note, after eating at Greg for 2 days straight I can say most of the food we tried really was NOT good. I would never eat there again if we had other options. it was very expensive expensive, portions were small and food was not fresh.

Hope this is helpful for someone!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Apr 22 2023, 2:33 pm
Any updates?

Last edited by amother on Sat, Apr 22 2023, 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Apr 22 2023, 2:34 pm

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 11:31 am
We went to a nearby city arad about 30 minutes away that had lots of mehadrin options. It was on the way home since we didn't want to drive home in the dark in the west bank.

heidi

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 11:37 am
amother Seashell wrote:
We were at the dead sea recently (feb 2023). We are considered lenient with what hechsharim we eat.
Here is some clarification. Please ask your own rabbi what you can consider acceptable.
Greg cafe- beit Yosef (not commonly accepted, we eat it for Milchig only if don't have other options and are traveling)
Kotzefet- chug chasam sofer petach tikvah (not accepted across the board but we do eat it for an ice cream store)
Hummus eliyahu- bikat hayarden (not recognized as an acceptable hechsher, we do not eat it)

All other eateries either did not have a hechsher or were the bikat hayarden hechsher.

As a side note, after eating at Greg for 2 days straight I can say most of the food we tried really was NOT good. I would never eat there again if we had other options. it was very expensive expensive, portions were small and food was not fresh.

This post is really nasty
Many many many Israelis eat rabbanut hashgachot.
If it's not acceptable to you, fine.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 12:08 pm
amother Seashell wrote:

Yeah, we hated the Cafe Gregs there too, and after sitting down, we returned the menus and left.
We usually bring our own food or a disposable barbecue and picnic stuff.
Sad because the Cafe Cafe that was run by Chabad there was much better but closed during covid.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 12:30 pm
amother Seashell wrote:

This is outrageous.
How do you not realize that you and your chevra are just a small microcosm of frum, religious, kosher-eating Jews?
Beit Yosef is extremely accepted, especially among Sefardim.
As far as Bikat HaYarden, everyone should ask their own Rav.
Not sure what you mean by not accepted across the board. I'll assume you mean that there are some that DON'T accept it rather than the opposite. (Not accepted across the board rather than across the board not accepted)

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 1:48 pm
We went to arad because I said there's no way I'm getting overpriced food with the horrible Google reviews on it like at Greg.

We got amazing shwarmas for like 25 shekel a piece. In a laffa. All the places were that cheap, not sure why. They were all under a local chassidish hescher and listed they used ingredients from landau kehillos etc.

There's were some places in arad that were under standard mehadrin hescherim (I mean not a local one) but we were there on Yom hazikaron and most official restaraunts closed at 3pm.

Highly reccomend checking out arad for food.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 7:10 pm
amother Mistyrose wrote:
This is outrageous.
How do you not realize that you and your chevra are just a small microcosm of frum, religious, kosher-eating Jews?
Beit Yosef is extremely accepted, especially among Sefardim.
As far as Bikat HaYarden, everyone should ask their own Rav.
Not sure what you mean by not accepted across the board. I'll assume you mean that there are some that DON'T accept it rather than the opposite. (Not accepted across the board rather than across the board not accepted)

When someone says they are looking for mehadrin restaurant, it’s assumed they want an actual high level of kashrus, not just the label mehadrin (which costs hechsherim very little to write). The woman that you quoted has information regarding that.
Please find something else to get offended by.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 2:42 am
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
When someone says they are looking for mehadrin restaurant, it’s assumed they want an actual high level of kashrus, not just the label mehadrin (which costs hechsherim very little to write). The woman that you quoted has information regarding that.

Assuming Bet Yosef and Rabbanut Mehadrin doesn't have a high level of kashrus and is cheap to slap on is a gross misunderstanding of the kashrus system and it's politics.

When there's concern over a kashrus a lot of it is political. Sometimes it's about the kashrus standards, but more often than that it's about how often the mashgiachim comes and how thorough they are.

Leave your little bubble of Yerushalayim or Beitar or Bnei Brak and live in any smaller chareidi community and it's 100% accepted and normal to eat Bet Yosef for dairy.

Ask if the chareidi community in Karmiel, Rechovot, or Kiryat Ata eat Bet Yosef.

Ask if they eat the local Rabbanut Mehadrin.

Almost every city we visit that we've wanted to find out about the Rabbanut Mehadrin we ask chareidi people who live locally if they eat it and if the community rabbanim hold of it and so far it's always been yes.

That woman said Chassam Sofer Petach Tikvah isn't acceptable, just for ice cream stores. Personally we don't even eat it for ice cream stores, our local rabbanim said it's flat out unreliable. Theres plenty of halachic issues in an ice cream store, especially with frozen yogurt and things you may add fruit too.

Just because she holds a certain way doesn't mean that's standard for every chareidi person everywhere.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 2:57 am

Now I choose this. LOL
Banging head

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 9:25 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Assuming Bet Yosef and Rabbanut Mehadrin doesn't have a high level of kashrus and is cheap to slap on is a gross misunderstanding of the kashrus system and it's politics.

When there's concern over a kashrus a lot of it is political. Sometimes it's about the kashrus standards, but more often than that it's about how often the mashgiachim comes and how thorough they are.

Leave your little bubble of Yerushalayim or Beitar or Bnei Brak and live in any smaller chareidi community and it's 100% accepted and normal to eat Bet Yosef for dairy.

Ask if the chareidi community in Karmiel, Rechovot, or Kiryat Ata eat Bet Yosef.

Ask if they eat the local Rabbanut Mehadrin.

Almost every city we visit that we've wanted to find out about the Rabbanut Mehadrin we ask chareidi people who live locally if they eat it and if the community rabbanim hold of it and so far it's always been yes.

That woman said Chassam Sofer Petach Tikvah isn't acceptable, just for ice cream stores. Personally we don't even eat it for ice cream stores, our local rabbanim said it's flat out unreliable. Theres plenty of halachic issues in an ice cream store, especially with frozen yogurt and things you may add fruit too.

Just because she holds a certain way doesn't mean that's standard for every chareidi person everywhere.

This. I love how on target your info is, for the most part. But to know the info you know about local rabanuts, that requires a lot of research that many rabanim aren’t able to do (knowing the level of kashrus of every rabanut in all the different cities in israel).
As you mentioned, many times the issue with the hechsher is how often the mashgiach comes. I totally agree!! That is what people want to know, and the post before was saying from her Rav what he knows about that!
That has nothing to do with standards and everything to do with reliability!!! To go and attack her for writing what she has heard is sickening.
You can have a difference of opinion but why do you think that the rabbis outside of yerushalayim know more about Beit Yosef than the Rabbis in Yerushalayim? There are many many restaurants under their hechsher in yerushalayim, and they are very familiar with their operations
Also, As far as I know(please correct me if I’m wrong)bikat hayarden does not offer a mehadrin version of their hechsher. The original post was searching for Mehadrin only
Your own opinion about Chug Chasam sofer proves that the mehadrin label doesn’t cost them much to write
She even wrote in the beginning Ask your own Rav to see what he holds, and only then wrote what she had been told!
Again, you may disagree on the info that she received, but ”outrageous “??, or “little bubble” do not belong in a civil conversation about RELIABILITY of hechsherim ( not to be confused with standards I.e chumros )
Why can’t she have an opinion that is different than your big bubble that you live in? Please explain that to me

amother
White

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 11:25 am
Thank you so much for this reply. This woman's information was very informative and I really appreciate it.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 12:35 pm
This. I love how on target your info is, for the most part. But to know the info you know about local rabanuts, that requires a lot of research that many rabanim aren’t able to do (knowing the level of kashrus of every rabanut in all the different cities in israel).
As you mentioned, many times the issue with the hechsher is how often the mashgiach comes. I totally agree!! That is what people want to know, and the post before was saying from her Rav what he knows about that!
That has nothing to do with standards and everything to do with reliability!!! To go and attack her for writing what she has heard is sickening.
You can have a difference of opinion but why do you think that the rabbis outside of yerushalayim know more about Beit Yosef than the Rabbis in Yerushalayim? There are many many restaurants under their hechsher in yerushalayim, and they are very familiar with their operations
Also, As far as I know(please correct me if I’m wrong)bikat hayarden does not offer a mehadrin version of their hechsher. The original post was searching for Mehadrin only
Your own opinion about Chug Chasam sofer proves that the mehadrin label doesn’t cost them much to write
She even wrote in the beginning Ask your own Rav to see what he holds, and only then wrote what she had been told!
Again, you may disagree on the info that she received, but ”outrageous “??, or “little bubble” do not belong in a civil conversation about RELIABILITY of hechsherim ( not to be confused with standards I.e chumros )
Why can’t she have an opinion that is different than your big bubble that you live in? Please explain that to me

I was arguing with her not about what her rav said, but rather saying her ravs opinion and her opinion is the gold standard in the chareidi world and that there's no differences basically. Her rav and she are both entitled to whatever standards, chumros, or things they believe. I don't take issue with that. Just don't speak for the chareidi community as a whole when there's so many differences depending on your rav, community and city

From what I understand about kashrut, the reason rabbanim in Yerushalayim aren't super into Beit Yosef is because if there's so many other options why go for something they feel isn't as high of a standard possibly.Also there's political issues involved as wl.

Once you leave the bubble of Jerusalem, Beitar, Bnei Brak and live or visit a place that has less or no other options.....

Almost all the restaraunts in Bet Shemesh that are dairy are Bet Yosef. 70% of Beit Shemesh is chareidi. If chareidim weren't eating it they wouldn't be able to stay open. For the record there's not a single rabbanut only restaraunt in Beit shemesh because it just wouldn't be profitable. Even rabbanut mehadrin Beit shemesh. Every single thing has another hescher on it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions