Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Women teaching boys

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 7:39 pm
Is there a heter for a woman to teach Special Education boys in the older elementary grades?
Do any of you know the ages or grades allowed?
Would it be different in a classroom or one-on-one non yichud setting?

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 8:05 pm
This is definitely an ask your own Rav situation because in many circles women teach boys general studies straight through high school.

oneofakind

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 8:06 pm
Why would you need a heter? Who says it's a halacha or chumra or anything? There are men teaching in girls high school and seminary.
Some schools allow it and some don't.

amother
Moonstone

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 8:08 pm
You don't need a heter for this. It's common and done in all circles afaik.

amother
Daphne

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 8:10 pm
I worked in 2 special ed schools. There were definitely women teachers for older boys. They had men assistants whose job was to help them in the bathroom, change them and physically handle them.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 8:15 pm
My teenage son is in a frum special Ed setting. There is a rebbi who teaches the boys mishnah and gemara, but everything else is taught by women and most of the therapies they get are done by women. Truth is, we'd be thrilled if they had more male staff, but there aren't enough men who go into these fields. I'm very impressed with my son's rebbi, I wish there were more like him.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 8:15 pm
I have taught as old as middle school/ 8th grade math. there is no shayla about teaching. The only question comes up if it’s a severely disabled child where you need to help them physically in which case there are poskim who prefer they have someone of the same gender but in many cases it’s ok bidieved, and in cases where they are cognitively impaired even not a problem at all unless they are touching in inappropriate ways.I have worked with older special needs adults who needed help being fed, getting in and out of a chair, putting on their jacket, etc.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 8:57 pm
Most Yeshivish schools would never allow it. This is a MO SPED school.
The reason why I'm asking about a heter is because these students are socially normal- but immature. They are in SPED because they are struggling with literacy, math, emotions and behavior.

I know that touching is allowed if there's a need and when its not derech chibah. eg. student needs help putting on coat.

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 8:58 pm
The only shaylas I ever had were related to yichud and bathroom help. Otherwise teaching boys is not an issue at all.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 9:01 pm
idk if its helpful but im a yeshivish slp and I work in a chassidish boys school.
my eldest student is in 7th grade and I sometimes have to touch his face/neck to illicit sounds for prompt. hes apraxic...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics