Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Transition from formula to regular milk

MrsLeo

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 6:14 pm
Since my daughter turned 1 she cant get formula on WIC anymore so I am forced to start giving her regular milk. She eats at least one regular meal every day but in the early morning and when she falls asleep at night she takes a bottle of formula. Now that I cant get formula for her anymore should I just give her a bottle of regular milk? (I gave her regular milk before and she didnt have any kind of reaction from it so she's not allergic or anything)

shoy18

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 6:18 pm
the best way to do it, is to start by doing 3/4 formula and 1/4 milk, and gradually reduce formula and increase milk until its all milk.

pink car

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 6:42 pm
Quote:
the best way to do it, is to start by doing 3/4 formula and 1/4 milk, and gradually reduce formula and increase milk until its all milk.

yeah, I did the above when my ds turned 1 and gave him regular milk...formula is only necessary till 1 year, after that, they don't need it, they can eat all kinds of foods

MrsLeo

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 6:47 pm
1 more question, how do I make sure she gets all the vitamins she needs without formula?

zigi

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 7:24 pm
make sure she eats a well rounded diet. I also give ds baby cereal.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 8:25 pm
Yup, baby cereal, and make sure you are introducing her and offerring her a wide range of healthy foods covering the spectrum of nutrition.

I also am phasing dd to milk now, and she's already staged a protest...she barely drinks the milk, although 1 day during pesach she drank it like no tomorrow (bc I went out without formula)...figures that now formula is out, she's going to give me grief....

Just offer her the milk, and if you don't want her distracted by "other beverages" don't offer anything else to drink but water. (If she gets exposed to juice then likely she'll prefer that over milk or even food)

MrsLeo

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 9:37 pm
[quote="NotInNJMommy"]Yup, baby cereal, and make sure you are introducing her and offerring her a wide range of healthy foods covering the spectrum of nutrition.[/quote

What kind of foods?

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 10:02 pm
whatever she can eat--meaning, if she has no allergies/intolerances, then by 1 yr, most foods are fine re: health, the only challenge is the physics: can she chew it?

I give mine tiny pieces of grapes, melon, pickles, olives...cheerios, gefilte fish, soup veggies, soup broth (sometimes mixed with baby cereal), eggs (mashed boiled egg yolks, or pieces of egg white or scrambled with/without some cheese), cheese, bread, crackers (liebers snackers), matzah, a little cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, the baby food jars, no sugar apple sauce, latkes (if they aren't too crispy--softer for easy chewing), fish sticks, well cooked pasta (shapes NOT long noodles I find are less of a choking hazard). I often maintain the jars esp for veggies and some fruits and try to get more carbs/proteins from newer foods while they are learning to chew more raw foods.

More and more I start to see if she can eat what we are eating with minor variations to accomodate her lack of teeth and chewing skills.

raw veggies are harder until they have more back teeth to have the grinding power.

I offer hte "healthy bland stuff" ie. veggies first in a meal, and then the other things. Babies at that age, if offerred healthy portions will take what they want, so if they only eat a normal amount of cheese that meal after offerred veggies, fruits, then likely they'll make up for it somewhere else.

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 10:41 pm
Oatmeal is great. Regular Quaker oats with whole milk. Ds wasn't too excited with it at first but like with all new foods I offered it to him regulary even if he would only taste it (did not force). After several tries when he was ready he started eating it and he loved it. He is 2.4 now and I am so happy to give him something that I know is healthy and really filling. FYI I add only milk and oatmeal, no sugar or anything since he got used to it that way first.

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 11:48 pm
my pediatrician said make the switch cold turkey...didnt have any problems with that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics