Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Urgent! Please help me find a yeshiva for my son
Previous  1  2  3

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 11:23 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Yes it is afaik.

I think the poster might be talking about Mill Basin Yeshiva Academy. The opened HS divisions. I have no idea what the names are or the building, but you can try the main office.

On their website, under the division of boys high school it redirects you to derech hatorah.. we actually went to the open house and my son was impressed with Rabbi Milstein but we didn’t pursue applying there. Anyone know anything about it? I haven’t heard the best things…

amother
Mocha

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 3:07 am
My son went to Shaarei Arazim. It has boys with a range of challenges. They could be a very good option for you, and unlike most places, they take boys in the middle of the year. Talk with Rabbi Rosenman and see what he says. Yes full tuition is expensive but we didn’t pay full tuition. We did pay more than typical mesivta tuition.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 7:46 am
amother OP wrote:
On their website, under the division of boys high school it redirects you to derech hatorah.. we actually went to the open house and my son was impressed with Rabbi Milstein but we didn’t pursue applying there. Anyone know anything about it? I haven’t heard the best things…

The admin from mbya attempted a merge with derech hatorah, which was barely getting any boys each year. It's not very yeshivishe at all, but mbya staff who joined did make some significant (in my opinion) improvements.

Have you considered the mesivta of Bayonne? It's in New Jersey, in middle of nowhere, about 30 min from Brooklyn. It has a dorm but a couple boys do come home each night (they get a ride with some rebbeim). It's a very small, warm yeshiva, with younger rebbeim who really invest in the boys. (My son considered it, and ultimately it wasn't the right place for him, but I was so impressed. The farher built him up and gave him confidence and it was a very positive experience.)

amother
PlumPink

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 8:36 am
my nephew is in rups and loves it
my son is going to mekor hatorah next year

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 2:25 pm
I appreciate all your input and willingness to help.
I took all the names of the recommended yeshivas down and will look into them. Most of them are out of town so I’m still back in square one if he refuses. Or maybe someone can tell me
How do you drop off a teenager without his consent somewhere he doesn’t wanna be? It’s not playgroup anymore where you leave them crying and 2 minutes later you peek through the window and calm down when You notice they forgot about crying and started playing. This is a whole different ballgame.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 3:50 pm
Take him to see the Yeshiva. Fear of the unknown is a very strong reason he may not want to go. Seeing it, especially if he can go for a Shabbos, may change his mind.

I know my son was super anxious when he was starting bais medrash in a new location with no friends there even though he had aced his farher. Within a day or two, he was relaxed and confident. He hadn't had a chance to spend time with the bochurim before as he interviewed bain hazmanim.

Contrast that with his mesivta experience: he spent a day with my husband there for his father, went with 2 boys he knew, and my husband settled him in when he started and he was much more relaxed even though he was younger and more apprehensive in general. Knowing what to expect made him happy to go.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 10 2023, 2:58 pm
Here’s an update

Would like more info/ look promising and appropriate if a miracle happens and dh and Ds agree to out of town

***Rupps- derech hatorah Chicago

***Mekor hatorah Lakewood

***Shaare arazim Monsey

***Shaare adirim Chicago

***Aish hakodesh Norfolk Virginia

***Torás Chaim baltimore

*** gaón Yaakov Lakewood

***Ne’imus hatorah Baltimore

up in the air

Zuckers- need to push harder, didn’t hear best things about the boys

Nesivos Chaim -not sustainable

Probably not considering/couldn’t find any information about them

Richmond ?

May- Lawrence high academics ?

Mta ?

Rambam Lawrence

Ohr Simcha Englewood

Bayonne New Jersey

Questionable crowd but small supportive

Derech hatorah Brooklyn

Ohr hatorah Brooklyn

Yeshiva kinyan Torah

I’m in square one… and a half 😩

amother
Poppy

Post Fri, Feb 10 2023, 3:01 pm
MAY in 5 towns is quiet academic don’t think you want that
& did you look into Breuer’s ( Manhattan)

amother
Crystal

Post Fri, Feb 10 2023, 3:59 pm
I was one of posters who rec Shaarei Arazim. And I still hold by that suggestion.

But I see someone above rec Breuer’s. Great idea if going away really does not work.

He can come home each day and I def know those who went there with similar description as your son.

You need a place where he can come in way behind and they will work to catch him up.

And a place with your hashkafa as the goal.

Seriously look into those two.

I think going away is a better idea but you need to figure out what is best for you/him.

PS: If you are really serious about getting your DS into yeshiva, you have enough to on.

I suggest getting off Imamother (about this) and being proactive. You won’t get anywhere keeping all this in the virtual world.

Boots on the ground now. And much hatzlacha and nachas.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 8:01 pm
What about darchei in far rockaway? As far as I know, they track classes according to level. He can go back and forth every day (or stay in the dorm).

amother
Papayawhip

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 8:10 pm
You just need to speak to rabbi Strauss and he will tell you what he recommends. If he doesn’t have a clear picture then he will ask to meet with your son. This is what he does. He is the expert on all types of boys yeshivas. You are wasting too much time with your lists.
You are much more apprehensive about your son than he is. He is older now. He can do this. He definitely needs to leave home for a bit and come home often too. You need to let go. Your goal should be that he should be in a yeshiva after shabbos. He will be okay and you will be too.

Matisse

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 10:08 pm
We live in Norfolk, Virginia. We have 3 sons - 25, 23 and 15. All of our sons stayed home for yeshiva - our 15 year old is in 10th grade. I am happy to answer any questions about YAK - aka - Yeshivas Aish Kodesh.

Our older sons went on to learn in Lakewood/Israel. The oldest one got a masters in accounting while in Lakewood and is married, working as an accountant and in kollel at night (not in Lakewood). Our 23 year old is still in Lakewood. My point is that our sons received a very solid foundation here in Norfolk:)

Please contact me if you want any information.

nicole81

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 10:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
Here’s an update

Would like more info/ look promising and appropriate if a miracle happens and dh and Ds agree to out of town

***Rupps- derech hatorah Chicago

***Mekor hatorah Lakewood

***Shaare arazim Monsey

***Shaare adirim Chicago

***Aish hakodesh Norfolk Virginia

***Torás Chaim baltimore

*** gaón Yaakov Lakewood

***Ne’imus hatorah Baltimore

up in the air

Zuckers- need to push harder, didn’t hear best things about the boys

Nesivos Chaim -not sustainable

Probably not considering/couldn’t find any information about them

Richmond ?

May- Lawrence high academics ?

Mta ?

Rambam Lawrence

Ohr Simcha Englewood

Bayonne New Jersey

Questionable crowd but small supportive

Derech hatorah Brooklyn

Ohr hatorah Brooklyn

Yeshiva kinyan Torah

I’m in square one… and a half 😩

Based on people I know that have sent to both schools, I'd go with derech hatorah over ohr hatorah any day.

MAY is an excellent school but not the right fit. MTA is excellent as well, especially for the upper level students, but way too large and won't offer the specialized support needed.

Rambam is super modern, super expensive, and I haven't been particularly impressed by the values of graduates I've met.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 14 2023, 2:56 pm
amother Poppy wrote:
Breuer’s in Manhattan ?
From what I understand, it’s not special Ed …. But they work w/ boys who never figured out how to learn Gemara well
Also chilled out environment.

Thank You sooo much to all that suggested Breuer’s
We just came out of there
My son loved it
I loved it
Husband is also on board
He’s basically in- we just need to figure out a way to get him there and back… ideas?

Has to be there 9:15 am
and school ends 6 Friday 12 Sunday 2

He may be able to get a ride w a rebbe from the elementary school that drives in from Brooklyn but the way back is more of an issue cuz it’s different schedule

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, Feb 14 2023, 3:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
My son loved it
I loved it
Husband is also on board
He’s basically in- we just need to figure out a way to get him there and back… ideas?

He may be able to get a ride w a rebbe from the elementary school that drives in from Brooklyn but the way back is more of an issue cuz it’s different schedule

Chasdei Hashem!

You will figure it out.

He might have to take the train and so be it.

Maybe there is another Brooklyn boy and they can go together… Rides with rebbeim would be great if it works out.

He might like it enough in the near future to stay there for a night or two during the week. Perhaps by a local family…

Please just make it work! And be very positive with your son about it.

And positive in any way he has to get there and back. And that it will BE”H all work out.

Positive only!!

Much, much hatzlacha and nachas!

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Feb 14 2023, 5:59 pm
B"h!!! I'm so happy you found a place that fits!

nicole81

Post Tue, Feb 14 2023, 10:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
My son loved it
I loved it
Husband is also on board

The train. Or maybe reach out to the transportation director at MTA and see if you can pay to put him on the bus if the timing works.

naomi2

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:10 am
Op, we are in a similar situation and looking into nesivos chaim. Would you update us as to what you chose in the end and how it's going? Or you can pm me, I'd also be willing to talk over the phone.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics