Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Yeshivish community in Baltimore?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 8:49 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
In these neighborhoods as well your neighbors can be modern. In addition, there are mothers who send to Bais Yaakov who don't cover there hair etc. My daughter has three girls in her class from yeshiva lane, few with screens, yeshivish, modern. A MIX. But in general from a Baltimore native I would say upper park heights is the "yeshivish" side of the town. Less of a mix.

I was focusing on Shuls. You are right about the neighborhoods. They are all a mix.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 9:10 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
In these neighborhoods as well your neighbors can be modern. In addition, there are mothers who send to Bais Yaakov who don't cover their hair etc. My daughter has three girls in her class from yeshiva lane, few with screens, yeshivish, modern. A MIX. But in general from a Baltimore native I would say upper park heights is the "yeshivish" side of the town. Less of a mix.

I think with housing prices going so high there is no more yeshivish side and less yeshivish side. It’s what can I afford side and am I being outbidded side. If you find a house by Darchei and you can afford, you buy. If you find a house by Rabbi Gross or Rabbi Berger and you can afford, you buy. Houses in all neighborhoods are basically at least half a million dollars unless you buy an attached. Or it needs lots of work. Even rents are so expensive.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 9:26 pm
My daughter is in 4th grade in BY and I’d guess half the girls don’t wear socks in the summer. And probably 25% of BY moms also don’t cover their legs in the summer.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 9:32 pm
amother Clear wrote:
I think with housing prices going so high there is no more yeshivish side and less yeshivish side. It’s what can I afford side and am I being outbidded side. If you find a house by Darchei and you can afford, you buy. If you find a house by Rabbi Gross or Rabbi Berger and you can afford, you buy. Houses in all neighborhoods are basically at least half a million dollars unless you buy an attached. Or it needs lots of work. Even rents are so expensive.

BH upper park heights is not in the half a million range even for unattached houses that don't need tons of work.

amother
Almond

Post Fri, Feb 10 2023, 1:43 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Scotts Hill is a community of mainly TA rabbeim but some others as well that might be more homogeneous. However, you may find that if you live there, you'll end up sending to TA due to convenience and social life. It's a great school but might not be your first pick otherwise.

Yes, Scotts hill is a yeshivish neighborhood iwth a very strong community feel. its about 35 frum familes, they all send their boys to TA, a high percentage of families are rebbeim. and houses are cheaper, like under 400k for the bigger houses.

amother
Outerspace

Post Fri, Feb 10 2023, 2:00 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I don't think living near Ner Yisroel makes any sense. Kids on YL won't easily be available to play with your kids not on the street, housing is expensive, you'll feel like an outsider and there's no rav like you'd have in a real shul.

And getting on Yeshiva Lane is next to impossible if you have no shaychus with the Yeshiva.

Its not "next to impossible", it's actually impossible. They never ever take families who arent learning or working in the yeshiva or on the campus. I also get a feeling that the OP is either chassidish or heimish, and that is not the crowd she'll find there anyway.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Feb 11 2023, 8:03 pm
amother Outerspace wrote:
Its not "next to impossible", it's actually impossible. They never ever take families who arent learning or working in the yeshiva or on the campus. I also get a feeling that the OP is either chassidish or heimish, and that is not the crowd she'll find there anyway.

The slight part of not being actually impossible is if her husband miraculously got a job for the Yeshiva. Even if not in learning, there have been people who got on to do social work/dorm jobs, etc
And even there, it's usually protektzia or the like, the husband is usually in the kollel...
But there's a hundredth of a percent chance 😉

amother
Outerspace

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 2:47 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
The slight part of not being actually impossible is if her husband miraculously got a job for the Yeshiva. Even if not in learning, there have been people who got on to do social work/dorm jobs, etc
And even there, it's usually protektzia or the like, the husband is usually in the kollel...
But there's a hundredth of a percent chance 😉

I wrote in my post that he would need to be learning or working on the campus. There is a 100% chance the OP will not get into yeshiva lane since she never heard of it (so obviously her husband doesnt work there)
LOL

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 3:20 am
amother OP wrote:
thank you everyone for your repsonses! I would love more info, if you have and I have a few questions...

what is yeshiva lane? why is it not an option? where are those other shuls that were mentioned? Rabbi Berger's shul (Kol Torah), Agudah of Park Heights, beazer, menlo? what are these like?

from what I understand from here, there are exclusively rightwing yeshivish shuls but not schools for girls? are there shuls that have chevras (follow a rebbe, close relationship with rebbetzin)? I'm happy to be among different types of yiddin and I think thats beautiful(!) but also want a community with likeminded people... some kind of group where all are tznius, separate kiddushes, have filters, no tv, etc.

sorry if this comes off as judgmental... just trying to find what's right for my family and don't know how to find this info out without coming off this way TMI

Sounds like Waterbury might be a better fit. Checks all your boxes except some families let their kids watch. But no one puts on shows during playdates without the permission of the other parent. If you want all rw yeshivish, try Naugatuck.

And with global warming, CT is about as temperate now as Maryland was a decade ago.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 8:26 am
Upper park heights is the real yeshivish area you are looking for-
Taney, pinkney, strathmore area
Keep in mind that generally the more yeshivish areas will be more out of towny, although I know plenty of people in that area who aren’t

amother
Wandflower

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 8:39 am
amother Violet wrote:
Keep in mind that generally the more yeshivish areas will be more out of towny, although I know plenty of people in that area who aren’t

But is this area full of the young couples with young kids that OP is looking for? I'm sure there's a mix (like everything in Baltimore), but most of the families I know there are much older. I second the idea that Naugatuck outside Waterbury may be a better fit for OP as a smallish but more cohesive group of youngish families.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 9:00 am
amother Wandflower wrote:
But is this area full of the young couples with young kids that OP is looking for? I'm sure there's a mix (like everything in Baltimore), but most of the families I know there are much older. ..

I have several kitchen and residential planning clients in the Upper Park Heights area. They are moving into single family and semi-detached houses and the majority are young. The bigger question is whether Baltimore culturally is a good fit for the OP.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 9:12 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Scotts Hill is a community of mainly TA rabbeim but some others as well that might be more homogeneous. However, you may find that if you live there, you'll end up sending to TA due to convenience and social life. It's a great school but might not be your first pick otherwise.

How many families live there? is it concentrated on just a few blocks? Walkable to other neighborhoods?

Last edited by PinkFridge on Sun, Feb 12 2023, 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 9:15 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
I have several kitchen and residential planning clients in the Upper Park Heights area. They are moving into single family and semi-detached houses and the majority are young. The bigger question is whether Baltimore culturally is a good fit for the OP.

What OOT communities would be?
Some OOT communities might have some concentrated blocks, but their kids will be going to school with kids from a variety of families.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 9:17 am
amother Wandflower wrote:
But is this area full of the young couples with young kids that OP is looking for? I'm sure there's a mix (like everything in Baltimore), but most of the families I know there are much older. I second the idea that Naugatuck outside Waterbury may be a better fit for OP as a smallish but more cohesive group of youngish families.

Yes it is, it still has some older families, but it’s being filled with young families these days

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 9:21 am
amother Outerspace wrote:
I wrote in my post that he would need to be learning or working on the campus. There is a 100% chance the OP will not get into yeshiva lane since she never heard of it (so obviously her husband doesnt work there)
LOL

This is such a silly argument about semantics when we're saying the same thing but you were picking on my lashon that left a tiny glimmer of a window because I left it open in case there was a miracle and her husband was a doctor and they need another one on campus or something. In no way was I giving false hope. I was just trying to be precise in my language, it wasn't argument worthy since we're saying the same thing.
I'm extremely confident in what I'm saying regarding the campus. I have inside knowledge and know how it operates which is why I posted the way I did.
Can we please move on? 😁

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 9:21 am
amother Violet wrote:

It’s not “the real yeshivish area” at all. Like the rest of Baltimore, this area is very mixed. Even among yeshivish families you’ll find a huge mix here. Just like everyone else in town. This is not going to have exclusive, all the same hashkafa feel that OP wants. That’s just not Baltimore. BH.

OP wants yeshivish Baltimore but has never heard of Ner Yisroel. I don’t think Baltimore is what she’s looking for.

amother
Bluebell

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 9:22 am
The areas in the square of Taney, park heights, Strathmore, cross country is FULL of yeshivish families with young kids.

amother
Latte

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 9:24 am
PinkFridge wrote:
What OOT communities would be?
Some OOT communities might have some concentrated blocks, but their kids will be going to school with kids from a variety of families.

True. I don't think you'll find an OOT community that is ONLY made up of yeshivish/RW people. Even if there are shuls or neighborhoods that are homogeneously so, the schools are going to be mixed. Even if it's not Baltimore, op needs to know if she can handle that. (Op, is there a specific reason you are looking into Baltimore? Like, job wise, etc?)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 9:25 am
My impressions of the Upper Park Heights/Glen area is that it's filling up more and more with the younger families. No data on it, just my observations.

TA area isn't so big, but a more homogeneous group. It's not really walkable to the main area of Baltimore unless you have a pressing reason and don't mind walking a while (e.g. a SZ). Not practical for Shabbos playdates.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating