Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
URGENT! Water got shut off, need a Gemach loan
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 14 2023, 5:46 pm
Anyone know of a loan Gemach? My water just got shut off and the bill is over $3000 to have it restored. We don’t have a penny to our name and right now I must get my water turned on, I have a bunch of little kids plus a newborn.

amother
Banana

Post Tue, Feb 14 2023, 5:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
Anyone know of a loan Gemach? My water just got shut off and the bill is over $3000 to have it restored. We don’t have a penny to our name and right now I must get my water turned on, I have a bunch of little kids plus a newborn.

Did you call the water company and tell them you have young kids including a newborn baby? Where I live they would send you to collections but they are not legally allowed to shut off the water in this situation...

amother
Cadetblue

Post Tue, Feb 14 2023, 5:51 pm
Are you eligible for this

https://www.nj.gov/bpu/assistance/programs/

amother
Lemonlime

Post Tue, Feb 14 2023, 5:52 pm
There are government programs that can help you with a one time grant in the event of utility shut off. Call your local social services dept.

care4u

Post Tue, Feb 14 2023, 5:54 pm
If you have a rav, he may have access to loans.
My shul does.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 14 2023, 5:55 pm
I don’t know if we’ll be eligible for anything, we are poor middle class. We pay for everything but have money for nothing. I need someone I can ask now for a loan so I can get my water turned on tomorrow. Does no one know of any Gemach’s?

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Feb 14 2023, 5:55 pm
Call your rav most shuls have a fund.

Persevere

Post Tue, Feb 14 2023, 5:57 pm
amother Lemonlime wrote:
There are government programs that can help you with a one time grant in the event of utility shut off. Call your local social services dept.

You can do all this, but right now the fastest way to have it restored is to call the water company and explain your situation and that it's an emergency.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Feb 14 2023, 6:27 pm
There are gemachs but they won’t give you money without a guarantor. We were a guarantor for someone and they said they needed one guarantor for every 500 they borrowed. So you would need 6 guarantors. And people won’t be guarantor if you have no way to repay the loan.

What you need is a donation, not a loan.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Feb 14 2023, 6:37 pm
amother Banana wrote:
Did you call the water company and tell them you have young kids including a newborn baby? Where I live they would send you to collections but they are not legally allowed to shut off the water in this situation...
Google says they can turn off the water. They can’t turn off the heat.

Op let your rav know what’s going on. I’m sure he has donors who can help you. A gemach is not the right address.

amother
Crocus

Post Tue, Feb 14 2023, 6:46 pm
Contact Mrs. Shanik / Ahavas Tzedaka, they should be able to help. (732) 540-2972

Hatzlacha

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Feb 14 2023, 7:08 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:
Google says they can turn off the water. They can’t turn off the heat.

Op let your rav know what’s going on. I’m sure he has donors who can help you. A gemach is not the right address.

The bolded is not as simple because NJ does have the Winter Termination program that includes water so it cant be turned off during a certain time period. Not sure if op qualifies though but she should def look into it and see if she can get assistance.

https://www.nj.gov/dca/divisio.....r.pdf

https://www.lsnjlaw.org/legal-.....-aspx

Op, you may qualify for utility assistance even if you dont qualify for food stamps (although you may qualify for that as well considering you have a baby). You should check the income requirement for the amount of people in your family to see if you qualify for it even if you think you dont qualify because NJ seems to have made it easier for middle class families to qualify for these services--

https://www.nj.gov/bpu/assistance/programs/

https://njdca-housing.dynamics.....n-US/

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Feb 14 2023, 8:35 pm
Sorry OP this sounds so stressful. Please reach out to the LRRC. They can hopefully help you out with this. There are specific programs for utilities... but they can possibly help you get set up with other programs as well. Please, if you are eligible for help, please take it.

amother
Outerspace

Post Tue, Feb 14 2023, 8:42 pm
Off topic
amother Crocus wrote:
Contact Mrs. Shanik / Ahavas Tzedaka, they should be able to help. (732) 540-2972

Hatzlacha
Who is Mrs Shanik? I always see it advertised in the BP weekly to call Mrs Shanik and have a mitzvah. I thought she's a lonely elderly woman..

amother
Freesia

Post Tue, Feb 14 2023, 8:47 pm
amother Outerspace wrote:
Off topic
Who is Mrs Shanik? I always see it advertised in the BP weekly to call Mrs Shanik and have a mitzvah. I thought she's a lonely elderly woman..

Wife of Dr. Shanik. The Shaniks are chesed powerhouses in Lakewood

amother
Outerspace

Post Tue, Feb 14 2023, 8:48 pm
amother Freesia wrote:
Wife of Dr. Shanik. The Shaniks are chesed powerhouses in Lakewood
Thanks for the reply!

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Feb 14 2023, 8:49 pm
amother OP wrote:

Is there a way for you to set up an anonymous chesed fund or Zelle link so people here can donate?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Feb 14 2023, 8:50 pm
Can I zelleu money pls pm me

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Feb 14 2023, 10:36 pm
Is everything okay? We cud help you

amother
Trillium

Post Wed, Feb 15 2023, 12:23 am
amother Outerspace wrote:
Off topic

Whaaat??? Forget that she actually Is an amazing kindhearted woman, but even if she wouldn't be, did you seriously chime in just to say such unpleasant negativity??
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries