Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Self check-out
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 11:44 am
The local frum supermarket I shop at, installed self check-out registers a couple of weeks ago. But they have workers breathing down the customers backs to make sure they scan everything, it makes me so uncomfortable! If they don't trust people, why did they put self check-out lanes? What are they afraid of? Normal people don't just steal stuff!

hodeez

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 11:48 am
I'm Happy they're there. unfortunately people do try funny business, I wouldn't want the owner to lose out

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 11:49 am
That's not the norm in the kosher supermarket by us. I love the self checkout. Every time I don't have a full cart I use it and it makes life so much easier.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 11:52 am
hodeez wrote:
I'm Happy they're there. unfortunately people do try funny business, I wouldn't want the owner to lose out

They can check the cameras. Or have 1 worker oversee the general area. Most people don't steal.
Having workers stand at the customers shoulders, is really not nice. There were 4 people checking out today along with me, and there was a working standing right behind each of us staring. I felt really uncomfortable.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 11:52 am
Some people get confused and make mistakes, especially with new technologies. In my supermarket they have one staff member supervising five self check outs, and they are normally kept busy.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 11:54 am
Elfrida wrote:
Some people get confused and make mistakes, especially with new technologies. In my supermarket they have one staff member supervising five self check outs, and they are normally kept busy.

There is a call button if you need help or make a mistake. 1 worker to oversee the general area, is understandable. But several workers standing right behind people watching them as they're checking out, is just too much.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 11:55 am
I'm in Baltimore and one of our stores just got these about a month ago now. If your store is like ours, the employees are not breathing down our necks because they think we may not scan something, they are there to help, and we all need it because some people are not familiar with the process and also the machines are crazy sensitive and get mad at the slightest thing and you need an employee to clear it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 11:57 am
amother Olive wrote:
I'm in Baltimore and one of our stores just got these about a month ago now. If your store is like ours, the employees are not breathing down our necks because they think we may not scan something, they are there to help, and we all need it because some people are not familiar with the process and also the machines are crazy sensitive and get mad at the slightest thing and you need an employee to clear it.

They can stand around the general area if someone needs help. But not stand right behind each person checking out and staring as they're checking out. There was a worker standing right by every person that's checking out. That's abnormal. I've never seen such a thing at non jewish stores I shop at.

amother
Latte

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 12:01 pm
In local groceries lots of kids come themselves maybe they are there for that reason. Making sure they know the rules.

cuffs

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 12:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
They can stand around the general area if someone needs help. But not stand right behind each person checking out and staring as they're checking out. There was a worker standing right by every person that's checking out. That's abnormal. I've never seen such a thing at non jewish stores I shop at.

Probably because it’s a new thing in that supermarket, they want to help the customers, in a few weeks it will probably be 1 or 2 people with self checkout

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 12:11 pm
amother Latte wrote:
In local groceries lots of kids come themselves maybe they are there for that reason. Making sure they know the rules.

No need to stand right behind adult customers as they're checking out, because kids may need help.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 12:13 pm
cuffs wrote:
Probably because it’s a new thing in that supermarket, they want to help the customers, in a few weeks it will probably be 1 or 2 people with self checkout

But they're not just there to help customers! There's a worker standing right behind each customer & looking over their shoulder as they're checking out and bagging their items. This is excessive, not just workers standing around in case people need help.

singleagain

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 12:13 pm
Your right OP . that's not the way most self checkouts work . So why not ask the manager .. explain your discomfort..

Change won't happen complaining here

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 12:15 pm
singleagain wrote:
Your right OP . that's not the way most self checkouts work . So why not ask the manager .. explain your discomfort..

Change won't happen complaining here

I know, I haven't experienced this at any other store that has self check-out.
Talking to the manager is a good idea.

Reality

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 12:32 pm
Maybe these workers are being kept on until they can find another job? I'm assuming this store used to need more cashiers. Some people are going to lose their job due to automation. Could be the owner is doing a chesed not firing them right away.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 12:33 pm
amother Olive wrote:

right, its great! but each time I need their help with something so im glad the worker is there to help! love that store!

anon because dont want to give away my location

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 12:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
But they're not just there to help customers! There's a worker standing right behind each customer & looking over their shoulder as they're checking out and bagging their items. This is excessive, not just workers standing around in case people need help.

It could be that the store did not want to let those workers go or take away their hours now that they have the machines, or at least wanted to keep them on for a bit longer, so they are having them stand there just to be there.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 12:54 pm
I hear how that would be annoying. But the other way round where there isn't enough people to help is worse. One of the local stores has mostly self checkout and there's 1 person for all of them. And there's always something that you need help for. Because the machines almost always have some issue. And you're standing there waiting for ages trying to get their attention, as is 6 other people.

I normally always go shopping by myself. When my kids were off, I took them with me to the store and it was a nightmare at the self checkout. They all wanted to scan items and it was so hard to keep track of what had been scanned, what hadn't and what had been scanned multiple times and I was ready to tear my hair out. I'm not doing that one again.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 4:09 pm
Its funny, at my store there aren't enough workers at the self-checkout, its so annoying the machine messes something up and I have to stand there forever waiting for a worker to come.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 4:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
The local frum supermarket I shop at, installed self check-out registers a couple of weeks ago. But they have workers breathing down the customers backs to make sure they scan everything, it makes me so uncomfortable! If they don't trust people, why did they put self check-out lanes? What are they afraid of? Normal people don't just steal stuff!

They weren’t put there so that you can feel trusted and honest. They were put there to make it quicker for people to check out. But unfortunately people steal, so why should the store go by the honor system and risk losing tons of money?

Walmart installed those and after catching many shoplifters they now have an employee standing there watching.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics