Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Self check-out
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 4:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
They can check the cameras. Or have 1 worker oversee the general area. Most people don't steal.
Having workers stand at the customers shoulders, is really not nice. There were 4 people checking out today along with me, and there was a working standing right behind each of us staring. I felt really uncomfortable.

Most people don’t steal? How do you know that?
And even if it was true, they should take a loss on the people who do?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 4:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
There is a call button if you need help or make a mistake. 1 worker to oversee the general area, is understandable. But several workers standing right behind people watching them as they're checking out, is just too much.

I don’t know why it bothers you. It doesn’t bother me at all.
It should only bother someone whose intention was to steal.

I don’t understand how you think store owners should risk losing a lot of money just so you don’t feel uncomfortable.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 4:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
They can stand around the general area if someone needs help. But not stand right behind each person checking out and staring as they're checking out. There was a worker standing right by every person that's checking out. That's abnormal. I've never seen such a thing at non jewish stores I shop at.

Wadr it shouldn’t bother you to this degree. Just ignore them.
If you were a store owner you’d do the same thing to protect yourself from shoplifters.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 4:42 pm
I think of it as customer service! It’s new and I don’t want to have to wait long if I get stuck. I used to avoid the self check for that very reason in case I got stuck

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 4:44 pm
The lady doth protest too much.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 4:47 pm
amother Periwinkle wrote:
I don’t know why it bothers you. It doesn’t bother me at all.
It should only bother someone whose intention was to steal.

I don’t understand how you think store owners should risk losing a lot of money just so you don’t feel uncomfortable.

It doesn't bother me that there are workers there to help people. It does make me uncomfortable when a worker is standing right by me and staring as I'm checking out. By standing right by me, I me practically touching me. There was a worker like this at every person that was checking out. That is not the norm, and I've been to plenty of stores that have self check out.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 4:48 pm
Most people don’t steal? How do you know that?
And even if it was true, the should take a loss on the people who do?

No, most people, especially frum jews, don't walk out of stores without paying for stuff. And if they're worried about shoplifting, don't make self check-out lanes. And there are cameras in every store.
There's more shoplifting at target and Walmart, and they don't have workers breathing down your back.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 4:49 pm
amother Poinsettia wrote:
I think of it as customer service! It’s new and I don’t want to have to wait long if I get stuck. I used to avoid the self check for that very reason in case I got stuck

Customer service is having workers in the area. Not a worker standing at every person that's checking out.

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 4:49 pm
Stores can't rely on "normal people don't steal stuff," but the staff should be able to watch effectively without making the customers feel like they're breathing down their necks. Ideally, a customer who is not aware that the staff's primary intent is loss prevention won't even notice. Like in department stores, where the staff ask whether they can help and keep track of the customers.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 4:50 pm
Wadr it shouldn’t bother you to this degree. Just ignore them.
If you were a store owner you’d do the same thing to protect yourself from shoplifters.

I would protect myself from shoplifters by installing cameras, not by having a worker standing with the customer as they're checking out.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 4:51 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
Stores can't rely on "normal people don't steal stuff," but the staff should be able to watch effectively without making the customers feel like they're breathing down their necks. Ideally, a customer who is not aware that the staff's primary intent is loss prevention won't even notice. Like in department stores, where the staff ask whether they can help and keep track of the customers.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't have workers around. But a worker standing with each costumer as they're checking out, is going overboard.

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 4:52 pm
A worker standing with each customer? That defeats the purpose of self checkout.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 4:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm not saying that they shouldn't have workers around. But a worker standing with each costumer as they're checking out, is going overboard.

Someone watching a person checkout is a much better theft deterrent then a camera.

Its also much more expensive.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 5:04 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
Someone watching a person checkout is a much better theft deterrent then a camera.

Its also much more expensive.

They can watch a person checking out from afar instead of having a worker stand right by the customer as they're checking out.
As I said, I shop at plenty stores with self check-out, and I've never experienced anything like this. There are workers overseeing the area, not a worker breathing down the customer back.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 5:05 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
A worker standing with each customer? That defeats the purpose of self checkout.

Yes. This is exactly what I thought. There were 4 other people checking out the same time and there was a working standing right by each person.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 5:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
They can watch a person checking out from afar instead of having a worker stand right by the customer as they're checking out.
As I said, I shop at plenty stores with self check-out, and I've never experienced anything like this. There are workers overseeing the area, not a worker breathing down the customer back.

Watching for a far doesn't have the same impact as an 'anti-theft' measure.

Curious if at a regular checkout you watch the cashier?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 5:41 pm
amother Seashell wrote:

Curious if at a regular checkout you watch the cashier?

No, I don't watch his every move. I look over my receipt once I'm done to make sure there are no errors. Why would I need to watch their every move?
Have you ever been to a store that has self check-out? And have a worker standing right by you, literally touching you, breathing down you back?
This isn't the norm. I have never experienced this at any stores. Stores have 1-2 workers walking around the general area, not a worker per register.
If a frum store is so worried about theft, then self check-out is not for them. Having a worker with each customer, just defeats the purpose of self check-out.

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 5:42 pm
amother Seashell wrote:

But watching very closely has much more impact as an 'anti-customer-retention' measure.

singleagain

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 5:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
No, I don't watch his every move. I look over my receipt once I'm done to make sure there are no errors. Why would I need to watch their every move?
Have you ever been to a store that has self check-out? And have a worker standing right by you, literally touching you, breathing down you back?
This isn't the norm. I have never experienced this at any stores. Stores have 1-2 workers walking around the general area, not a worker per register.
If a frum store is so worried about theft, then self check-out is not for them. Having a worker with each customer, just defeats the purpose of self check-out.

FYI. It's a lot easier if you see a mistake during the transaction instead of after it.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 5:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
It doesn't bother me that there are workers there to help people. It does make me uncomfortable when a worker is standing right by me and staring as I'm checking out. By standing right by me, I me practically touching me. There was a worker like this at every person that was checking out. That is not the norm, and I've been to plenty of stores that have self check out.

Now you’re saying they’re standing so close to you that they’re almost touching you?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics