Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
S/o- do you live in Brooklyn?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 12:33 pm
Reading all Lakewood threads, feels like everyone is there and there is no one here to stay! For those of us that live here, why are you here? Let’s give Brooklyn some good PR

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 12:45 pm
I wrote a long post on the other thread, I don't have time to retype it now. Suffice it to say that bklyn has many, many pros, even if it isn't the most beautiful city on earth

amother
Moccasin

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 12:46 pm
I can walk to work every day

I can walk to drop off my child every day

I can walk and be safe when I go to the mikva Friday night

I can walk to all my errands

I can walk to visit my sister and parents

I can walk over for a yom tov meal (I don't use the eiruv)

My dc is already enrolled in a school

Dh work is local and walking distance

Dh Rav is local

Dh can walk to his shul and chaburah s

I don't pay a lot of rent (jokes on me, apartment is almost outgrown)

Oh, did you guess I don't drive?

amother
Chambray

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 12:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
Reading all Lakewood threads, feels like everyone is there and there is no one here to stay! For those of us that live here, why are you here? Let’s give Brooklyn some good PR

I love my neighbors. We are as close as sisters.
We have a wonderful shul where my husband thrives.
my children walk back and from their schools.
my daughter (12) looks for clothing all by herself and then asks me to come see how it fits on her.
There is something about the demographics in the Brooklyn Jewish community that makes it feel calmer than all the years I lived here.

amother
Heather

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 12:57 pm
I never ever thought I would be saying this but I moved here from out of town and can't imagine living anywhere else. Look a long time for me to get to this point! I think the turning point for me was when I started holding by the eruv. Don't know why but before I did I just couldn't enjoy it here and had a very very hard time adjusting. But now I could see the it has so much positive. I don't care that people are moving out, more parking for me!!! 😂

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 1:22 pm
Brooklyn has a bad reputation but has gotten so much better over the years. It's way more chilled than it used to be. And you can get into schools easily! Yes I wish I had a bigger house, but no place is perfect.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 2:02 pm
My parents are there - best food .
Best shopping
Good competitive schools
Walkable

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 2:19 pm
I love it here!
Good neighbors and neighborhood, Schools and shuls.
Tons of stores that have what I need
I can walk to different areas on shabbos, and not feel bogged down by traffic, since there are enough streets to reroute down

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 2:56 pm
Amazing neighbors, kids are settled in school/high school, almost everything I need is walking distance, dh's shul is on our block, grocery on my corner etc.
That being said, we live in a tiny 800 sq foot 3 b/r apt with 5 kids. We can't afford to buy our own and if we move to bigger rental here, our rental fee will double overnight.
Every winter I dream of moving yo Airmont, lakewood or any other place with large properties, its so hard to live so cramped.
Bh with the gorgeous weather these days and spring summer coming up, I cant complain. My kids will be out w the neighbors until bedtime and we won't feel so cramped.

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 2:59 pm
Tons of conveniences- stores open 24 hours or until 1-2 am
My kids can walk everywhere
I don’t need a car

amother
Banana

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 3:02 pm
Jobs are great here. Lots of diversity. However, I’m from OOT and I still crave trees and grass. We are planning on moving when we’re ready to buy a home. Definitely not to Lakewood, though!

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 3:32 pm
amother Heather wrote:
I never ever thought I would be saying this but I moved here from out of town and can't imagine living anywhere else. Look a long time for me to get to this point! I think the turning point for me was when I started holding by the eruv. Don't know why but before I did I just couldn't enjoy it here and had a very very hard time adjusting. But now I could see the it has so much positive. I don't care that people are moving out, more parking for me!!! 😂
I that there was more parking though as much as people leave to lakewood the parking spots seem to get fuller by the day

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 5:15 pm
“How Sweet It Is”

(IYKYK)

amother
Snowflake

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 5:17 pm
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
“How Sweet It Is”

(IYKYK)

Leaving Brooklyn?

Fuggetaboudit!

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 5:24 pm
My in-laws are here! My father is here! None of my siblings. They are all in Lakewood. My husband's siblings are all in Brooklyn. We have jobs here and this where Hashem wants us to be. Chasdei Hashem we bought 2 years ago.

amother
Pistachio

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 5:59 pm
Brooklyn has so many maalos for our family first and foremost - our children are growing up with grandparents in walking distance, and not just their grandparents, but older folks in general. My sister from lakewood says her kids barely see a zaidy in shul! it's good chinuch for the kids to have that tzurah in their daily lives. Also, we are very connected to a yeshiva community in Brooklyn, which believe it or not does not sound so common-place in lakewood. My husband has rabbeim here who he is close to and whom he sees on a regular basis which keeps a person in check. As opposed to other places where it is literallly live and do as you wish. We aren't moving any time soon - even from our small house.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 7:47 pm
It has all the infrastructure needed - frum and otherwise. It has jobs, shopping, shuls, yeshivas, kosher supermarkets and dining, etc. What it does not have is all the peer pressure, and over-the-top gashmiyus that characterizes some other places (who shall remain nameless).

(Everyone keeps asking us when we are moving to Lakewood, but we are glad to be bringing up our kids here and have no plans to move,)

amother
Molasses

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 8:12 pm
The subway is by far the greatest asset of this city. World class museums, shows, stores and general city culture is literally $2.75 away. And for those that don’t use it it’s a half hr away by car. There are always things going on, places to go and things to see.

I can do my own thing here. Wear what I want, go places, meet people without the entire world knowing and endlessly gossiping about it.

There is English in boys yishvos, with the added accountability of the regents. The girls school’s English also seem on a high level then other frum places.

There are many different kinds of Jews. Ranging from secular to chassdish. And my kids learn to respect and communicate with all of them. Diversity is also much more common in the schools here, and it’s something we really value.

There is no overarching agenda. One can be JPF here without having their kids taught that having to work or having a degree is a bad thing. Everyone (at least in my area) is just trying to live a frum life, provide for their families and raise their children to be productive and happy adults. Ppl don’t feel the pressure that their kids must be the “best boy/girl in —“ and be big massmideim or the frumest girl on the block. And that is huge.

The peer pressure of the Flatbush that existed when I was a kid is mostly gone. Lots of the ppl that created it have moved out. And we can live our lives as we see fit.

I love it here.

newinbp

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 8:35 pm
The positivity on this thread is so so refreshing!

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 8:54 pm
I do not live in Brooklyn and am settled elsewhere but have a lot of family who does. At times I wish we could move there. I love how low key it is these days but has in town conveniences. The kids that I see growing up there are down to earth, wholesome and frum but not at all in an elitist way that other places may have. I feel like the hasagos are lower but it could be the people that I know there.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries