Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Copywriting Course
Previous  1  2

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 3:20 pm
I took the trial period of copy tribe and then dropped out because I just wasn't ready - it is a very intense course and you need to be all in. I was more of an on-the-side writer looking for improvement and future potential but I didn't have the level of energy the other members were putting in and I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up.

The trial and refund policy was super smooth and I highly recommend it for anyone who thinks they might be a candidate for the course but isn't sure. They were VERY helpful in making the decision both to join and to drop.

During the time I participated, I learned a lot and highly recommend the course in general. I think I wrote a detailed review on another thread about it which you could search.

I am also not into the peppy cutesy style but I think the principles you learn can be applied in any format and gushing is not required. Since I dropped out early on, I don't know if they grade assignments based on gushiness. But the class content itself I think is universal.

The advantage of CT over the much much less expensive course is that it's a full hand-holding experience. Takes you through building a freelance business and reputation (a lot of which is doing your own copywriting e.g. LinkedIn which you can then do for others), assignments with feedback, very lively chat forum. If you just want to find out about techniques to improve your writing and then experiment with applying them on your own, then go for the cheaper courses. But if you feel you might want someone to take you from ground to roof or whatever and you're ready to dive into a full learning and doing experience, CT is really something else.

Anyway I really think you can't lose by doing the trial period. It's the only way to really see if it's for you and they do offer it straight up, no strings attached.

walmart

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 6:30 pm
For those who did CT, is it doable while working another job? Are the classes live? And once completed will I have to quit my job or is it something I can do as a side hustle?

On a different note, who will edit my work? Do I sign up for a grammar course at the same time? Wink

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 6:45 pm
Yes you can definitely do the class while working a job. I'm just not sure if you can do it while working a job and a half and single parenting and volunteering and sleep-training your baby unless you're superwoman. Each person has to know themself and also read the course description.

Whether you quit your job or keep it on the side after is up to you. There were definitely high powered class members who went all in. I don't know what the proportion was between hardcore and part-timers. It's definitely meant for serious players overall, I think. The selling point is that this will turn you into A Copywriter. If you're a full-time teacher who wants to do a little copy on the side, it might be overkill. Or not, it's really a personal choice.

I believe the classes are both live and recorded. It's ideal to attend live and you can ask questions live, etc, but if the time zone doesn't work or you can't make it some times you can watch the recordings. You need to be disciplined to keep up with recordings though, because it's easy to think that you can just watch the recording whenever and then they pile up and whenever gets shorter and farther away.

I think you edit your own projects before sending them in. If that's really not your forte you may want to enlist a friend to help, but there aren't so many assignments that you'll need to hire a staff. There's always grammarly or whatever, too.

lamplighter

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 6:45 pm
All copytribe graduates sound the same. Gushy and verbose. Since I personally can't stand it, I voted against the course. I am still somewhat interested in the field though.

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 6:50 pm
lamplighter wrote:
All copytribe graduates sound the same. Gushy and verbose. Since I personally can't stand it, I voted against the course. I am still somewhat interested in the field though.

I don't sound like that at all Very Happy

So not my personality.

But the course isn't focused on a specific tone, it's more about techniques.

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 6:52 pm
walmart wrote:
For those who did CT, is it doable while working another job? Are the classes live? And once completed will I have to quit my job or is it something I can do as a side hustle?

On a different note, who will edit my work? Do I sign up for a grammar course at the same time? Wink

You can always use grammarly, it's a great tool.

You can do it as a side hustle but I found it hard to balance both a full time job and trying to break into the field.

walmart

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 7:19 pm
seeker wrote:
Yes you can definitely do the class while working a job. I'm just not sure if you can do it while working a job and a half and single parenting and volunteering and sleep-training your baby unless you're superwoman. Each person has to know themself and also read the course description.

Whether you quit your job or keep it on the side after is up to you. There were definitely high powered class members who went all in. I don't know what the proportion was between hardcore and part-timers. It's definitely meant for serious players overall, I think. The selling point is that this will turn you into A Copywriter. If you're a full-time teacher who wants to do a little copy on the side, it might be overkill. Or not, it's really a personal choice.

I believe the classes are both live and recorded. It's ideal to attend live and you can ask questions live, etc, but if the time zone doesn't work or you can't make it some times you can watch the recordings. You need to be disciplined to keep up with recordings though, because it's easy to think that you can just watch the recording whenever and then they pile up and whenever gets shorter and farther away.

I think you edit your own projects before sending them in. If that's really not your forte you may want to enlist a friend to help, but there aren't so many assignments that you'll need to hire a staff. There's always grammarly or whatever, too.

Thanks for taking the time to write up your responses!

walmart

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 7:43 pm
amother Tulip wrote:
I don't sound like that at all Very Happy

So not my personality.

But the course isn't focused on a specific tone, it's more about techniques.

Let's see if I qualify

Hey all, if you landed my page copyriting is something that interests you. (No it doesn't? Well, then my copywriting will definitely change that!)

Here you will find many talented strategists, content curators and brand builders talking in exclamation points (and don't forget the parenthesis!)

If you know your stuff you'll make sure to insert here some relatable giffy. What's an email blast worth without one? Nada, zilch, a big red 0.

Finally, I've got my emojis. Hooray ain't I the best out there? Applause
Hit reply! I've got so much more to share!

amother
Dill

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 10:26 pm
walmart wrote:
Let's see if I qualify

Hey all, if you landed my page copyriting is something that interests you. (No it doesn't? Well, then my copywriting will definitely change that!)

Here you will find many talented strategists, content curators and brand builders talking in exclamation points (and don't forget the parenthesis!)

If you know your stuff you'll make sure to insert here some relatable giffy. What's an email blast worth without one? Nada, zilch, a big red 0.

LOL that's so the vibe.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 10:52 pm
walmart wrote:
Let's see if I qualify

You don't need the course - you could run it! LOL

Jewishmom8

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 2:42 am
I am doing jacob mcmillian
you can pm for details if you want

fauxreal

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 5:40 am
For those cringing at the sales nature of copywriting:

A - copywriting is based upon a psychological stucture meant to persuade customers. That’s what CT teaches you - how to sell.

B - good copywriters eventually learn to outgrow the bare bones of the structure and learn to persuade the customer in a subtle manner

C - the fact that you notice the style and dislike it means you’re discerning enough not to develop it

^^ writing this as a CT grad that was anti the course for this reason but took it anyway and have never regretted it. Or developed this style of writing.

fauxreal

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 5:47 am
walmart wrote:

I took the course while FT working. Others did too; I remember someone doing it almost right after her baby. It’s 100% doable.
It requires focus and grit but the material is interesting enough to keep you wanting to go on.

Classes are lived and recorded. Try to join live when you can.

You can do it alongside your job by freelancing at night until you feel like you have enough clients to jump in full-time. This takes time but good work brings more good work.

When you join the CT messaging groups, you can post your work for your peers (and eventually professionals doing this for years) to appraise and critique. But also, Grammarly.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 5:58 am
walmart wrote:

On a different note, who will edit my work? Do I sign up for a grammar course at the same time?
Wink

Depends how intense your job and the rest of your life are. You won't have to quit your job. You can work part time for an agency or freelance.

The women who correct the work are seasoned copywriters. If you're worried about getting it ready for submission for an assignment, you can ask for peer review on slack.
It isn't grammar as much as good writing skills. Read a book like William Zinser's on Writing Well. You can write beautiful elegant LOOOOONG sentences but that won't fly in copy.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 6:02 am
walmart wrote:
Let's see if I qualify

Too many ifs. You can tighten this up a lot.
There are a lot of flavors to Copytribe alums.

walmart

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 7:31 am
fauxreal wrote:
I took the course while FT working. Others did too; I remember someone doing it almost right after her baby. It’s 100% doable.
It requires focus and grit but the material is interesting enough to keep you wanting to go on.

Classes are lived and recorded. Try to join live when you can.

You can do it alongside your job by freelancing at night until you feel like you have enough clients to jump in full-time. This takes time but good work brings more good work.

When you join the CT messaging groups, you can post your work for your peers (and eventually professionals doing this for years) to appraise and critique. But also, Grammarly.

Thank you, your posts are helpful.

walmart

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 9:05 am
Jewishmom8 wrote:
I am doing jacob mcmillian
you can pm for details if you want

pm'd you
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club