Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Help finding a niche

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 5:01 pm
Hi,
Modesty aside I am a great and talented writer. I love writing deep and meaningful pieces and have a way of expressing those thoughts very eloquently I also taught writing and grammar for years . Im not teaching anymore . I’d love to find a way to use my talent and experience.

Im not good at directionless writing. I do better with a framework ( like writing a beautiful letter to child for blank occasion or deep poem on a given topic).

How can I monetize this and feel productive accomplished?

Thx!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 7:57 pm
Bump

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 8:16 pm
Maybe write for a magazine

Kumphort

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 8:48 pm
Speech writing

amother
Seablue

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 1:42 am
In my community there's a woman writing letters and poems for others.
She has an add in the weekly mag. 'For when you want to express yourself eloquently to someone dear' or something like that.You could make money on that. Just think about the logistics, one page costs x amount; poems y amount. The person would tell you who it's for and some attributes, or what message she wants across, and you take it from there?

amother
Seablue

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 1:45 am
Here's your first costumer (though I haven't asked her if she wants to pay for your services...)

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....58358

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 1:53 am
I’m a good writer. I teach high school ELA. Just wondering, why would people pay a stranger to write a letter or poem for them? Wouldn’t the whole point of writing something heartfelt and touching be gone if it was written by a stranger?

You could write for magazines or do copywriting, op. If you keep a journal, it will give you ideas for topics to write about.

amother
Seablue

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 2:56 am
amother Olive wrote:
I’m a good writer. I teach high school ELA. Just wondering, why would people pay a stranger to write a letter or poem for them? Wouldn’t the whole point of writing something heartfelt and touching be gone if it was written by a stranger?

Because sometimes people want to give something with a heartfelt message, and they are not talented in the ways of finding the right words.

Get your tomatoes ready, [unpopular opinion ahead]: Just like you sometimes want to give someone nice chocolates and you buy them, rather than make your own...
Everyone were given different talents by Hashem. I know people who would make their own praline and I know people who would pay for a pretty poem/letter.

amother
Lightgray

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 3:10 am
Content writing for catalogs or ghostwriting are jobs in the larger world that pay decently.

If you want to stay in the frum world, what about writing plays for school performances?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 5:52 am
Thanks for all the responses.
Is there any forum or way that I could freelance and try out writing for ppl ( don’t want to advertise)

I find magazine writing stifling and cliche …

I don’t want to write ppls purim poems for them…

I really like personal writing not quick silly writing.

I would even start with a really really good writing course to challenge myself (although I’m qualified to give my own, but one can learn from everyone …! )

fauxreal

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 5:58 am
Sounds like you can be great at writing autobiographies/memoirs.

amother
Trillium

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 7:05 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for all the responses.
Is there any forum or way that I could freelance and try out writing for ppl ( don’t want to advertise)

I find magazine writing stifling and cliche …

I don’t want to write ppls purim poems for them…

I really like personal writing not quick silly writing.

I would even start with a really really good writing course to challenge myself (although I’m qualified to give my own, but one can learn from everyone …! )

You're going to have to advertise somehow, unless you have a way of getting customers exclusively by word of mouth.

amother
Lightgray

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 7:09 am
Another thought - there are lots of people out there who want to write their memoirs. You could run a memoir writing class (possibly through a local senior center) or collaborate with wannabe memoirists. You'll need a lot of patience, and you'll have to be honest about the very low chances of publication, but you could learn a lot while you write.

amother
Trillium

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 7:37 am
How about facilitating a writing group, if you feel you could teach?

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 7:54 am
What about writing your own memoir? Memoirs tend to do really well and have a higher chance of being published and making money

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 9:08 am
amother Trillium wrote:
How about facilitating a writing group, if you feel you could teach?

I taught writing for many years. I really would like to be creatively productive in my own now.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 9:08 am
amother Silver wrote:
What about writing your own memoir? Memoirs tend to do really well and have a higher chance of being published and making money

I had a difficult childhood and would make quite the memoir… but no, thanks :-)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics