Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Lefty or righty?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Are you a righty or lefty for writing?
righty  
 79%  [ 73 ]
lefty  
 16%  [ 15 ]
ambidextrous  
 2%  [ 2 ]
it doesn't matter which hand I use, its' sloppy no matter what  
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 92

proudmom

Post Sat, Oct 23 2004, 11:20 pm
My husband, my sister and I were discussing about right handed and left handed people. Is there a difference between right and left handed people in the way they act or do things? is it true that left handed people have a new neshama (they are not from a gilgul?) are they smarter?

Tefila

Post Sun, Oct 24 2004, 9:06 am
Why, are u left handed? Smile

proudmom

Post Sun, Oct 24 2004, 9:28 am
no

Motek

Post Sun, Oct 24 2004, 12:11 pm
Quote:
is it true that left handed people have a new neshama (they are not from a gilgul?) are they smarter?

baloney

I'm right-handed with father, sister, husband left-handed.

I read that 80% of people are righthanded. It's definitely genetic.

Yael

Post Sun, Oct 24 2004, 12:27 pm
could left handedness be gentic that it comes out more in the second generation? b/c in my family (parents and siblings) I have one brother who's a lefty. and most of my 9 neices and nephews seem to be lefties.
I have heard though that generally lefties are said to be more artistic, and good with their hands, it has to do with which side of the brain is dominant and there are diffenrent character traits in the different sides. so if the side that has artistic ability is on the right, and the right side is dominant then the person is a lefty, and supposedly better at art.
(art doesnt necesarily mean drawing it could aslo mean the ability to visualize things in your mind)

I basing this on what I remember hearing over the years, the details could be off, but the concept is right.

and yes the opposite side of the brain is dominant than the hand.
ie. righty has stronger left brain.

Henya

Post Sun, Oct 24 2004, 9:37 pm
In my family it sems to be genetic. My mother-in-law's a lefty, so is my husband & so is my daughter.

micki

Post Sun, Oct 24 2004, 9:46 pm
my girls are lefties, and my boys righties -so far.
my brother and mother in law are lefties.
who knows?
actually my oldest is a lefty for writing, but she cuts with scissors with her right. I don't know why.
a good but slightly weird friend of mine told her that its better to do everything with only one hand. and I said, no, you can do whatever you are comfortable with. and she does!

Rochel Leah

Post Sun, Oct 24 2004, 10:04 pm
I also think that its genitic...my hubby, his mom, now I think my son is a lefty.

10-20 years ago they thought lefties werent the correct way to be. I know with my bro who is a lefty, when he was 3/4 years the physical therpist at his school gave him excersizes to do to try make him a righty..my mom would paste a big paper on the wall and my bro would have to scibble on it with both hands. it didnt work and b'h he is very smart and it didnt make a difference what hand he used.

deedee

Post Mon, Oct 25 2004, 12:41 am
I am a righty and so is hubby. I know how they made u change if u were a lefty so now when I hand things to my baby I let her use what ever hand she wants. I really want her to be ambidextrous!!

Motek

Post Mon, Oct 25 2004, 1:46 pm
for a man, being a lefty is not always convenient (though I think that it's inborn and it shouldn't be changed), like with tefillin

if you borrow or put tefillin on someone, lefties' tefillin are done differently than righties

there was a hachnosas sefer Torah and my husband was invited to write in a letter, but after asking a shaila he didn't end up writing

problem is he's not a 100% leftie, he does some things leftie, some rightie

proudmom

Post Mon, Oct 25 2004, 2:02 pm
With my husband since he is a rights with his left hand and does everything else with the right he has to put on 2 sets of tefillin that is what the Rav told him to do

Motek

Post Mon, Oct 25 2004, 2:08 pm
oh my gosh!
for those who also put on Rabeinu Tam tefillin, that's four pairs of tefillin! quite expensive! and a lot to carry around!

proudmom

Post Mon, Oct 25 2004, 2:14 pm
yes, but you can ask a rav if you can put the rabbeinu tam on the other hand while davening. my husband is going to ask too

Motek

Post Tue, Oct 26 2004, 3:35 pm
just clarified:

my husband does everything with his right hand except writing, and he was told to use "rightie tefillin" (there are differences of opinion in this with some considering your writing hand the thing that counts, while others hold that your stronger hand is what matters)

and correction: when the rav told your husband to use both sets, that entails getting one more shel yad (no need to get another shel rosh)

my husband said that his grandmother was a leftie who was forced to switch, with the classic result - she stuttered

proudmom

Post Tue, Oct 26 2004, 3:39 pm
Motek wrote:
my husband does everything with his right hand except writing

same with my husband

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Oct 27 2004, 3:44 pm
My mom used to shop at a store that sold lefty things. Like scissors and measuring cups.

proudmom

Post Wed, Oct 27 2004, 3:45 pm
I never knew that type of stuff even existed.

Nechama

Post Thu, Oct 28 2004, 2:56 am
My husband and I are both righties and our eldest son is a lefty. He is so far the only one. There are many lefties in my husband's family and a few of my cousin's are lefties.
One wears two pair of tefillin if 'truly' ambidextrous.
Great chassidishe nachas story about that.
Rabbi R. in CH wears two pair of tefillin. He puts one set on at home.
Once one of his grand-daughters was home too and saw him putting on his tefillin. "Zeide, what are you doing?" she asked. He explained but she still looked confused. "Don't you ever see your Tatty putting on tefillin?" he finally asked her.
She replied, "Not on HIMSELF!"
I love that story.

Rivka

Post Mon, Nov 01 2004, 5:08 pm
Interesting fact, most polar bears are left handed.
I don't think there is much different between left handed and right, just which hand you find easier to use than another. My left hand is stronger physically than my right hand, but I write with my right.
I think also coz in the olden days they used to make everyone right handed coz they thought left handed wasn't normal, so that means from a certain decade no one really knows if they are left or right handed. I think even when I was at school when I learnt to write I was told to use my right hand to hold the pen and everything, they didn't mention anything about using a hand that was more comfortable to use.
I did have one girl in my class that was left handed and her twin sister was right handed...but with them they were total opposites, one had a beauty spot on one side of the face and the other one had it on the other side and personality wise they were opposites as well.

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Nov 02 2004, 12:49 pm
the right part of the brain controls your left side & vice versa. Since we use our right side more, the left side of the brain is more developed. When this is switched, we get a lefty! It's the wiring issue, and often lefties come up with different, original soutions & ideas b/c their brain wiring is different.

I think people who can use both hans have an advantage as their brains are stimulates more.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics