Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Anyone have a fail proof recipe for "Levelesh" a cake with

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 10:10 pm
Anyone have a fail proof recipe for "Levelesh" a cake?

The way I remember it, its a few extremely thin layers of a flakyish dough with a gooey chocolate filling in between all the layers.

As a child, my mothers neighbor made it, and I have zero contact with any of her relatives.

amother
Almond

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 10:31 pm
Isn't levelesh the Hungarian word for wafer cake?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 10:35 pm
amother Almond wrote:
Isn't levelesh the Hungarian word for wafer cake?

Possibly. But this recipe shows a pic with much fatter layers.

https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....-7745

The Levelesh I remember had paper thin layers.

amother
Almond

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 10:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
Possibly. But this recipe shows a pic with much fatter layers.

https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....-7745

The Levelesh I remember had paper thin layers.

This ain't real heimish wafer cake. Real wafer cake is paper thin dough. I can post a recipe tomorrow bli neder.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 10:56 pm
Do you mean zserbo?

pgk

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 11:01 pm
As far as I know levelesh just refers to flaky dough not a specific cake. Like you can get a regular chocolate danish or levelesh, regular cheese or levelesh…

amother
Almond

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 11:02 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
Do you mean zserbo?

Zsherbo cake isn't a layered cake. It's kind of a nut cake.

amother
Almond

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 11:03 pm
pgk wrote:
As far as I know levelesh just refers to flaky dough not a specific cake. Like you can get a regular chocolate danish or levelesh, regular cheese or levelesh…

Interesting!
What OP is describing, seems like wafer cake & my grandma says levelesh.

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 11:12 pm
According to my Hungarian relatives, levelesh is flaky dough. But levelesh cake referred to a sandwich cake, with a fudgey brownie center and layers of flaky dough on the top and bottom.

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 11:29 pm
amother Cherry wrote:
According to my Hungarian relatives, levelesh is flaky dough. But levelesh cake referred to a sandwich cake, with a fudgey brownie center and layers of flaky dough on the top and bottom.

I remember that! I didn’t know what it was called but the Hungarian ladies at our shul used to bake for simchas and this was my favorite. Please post a recipe. I think there may have been nuts in the chocolate brownie layer. I need a taste of the real thing and at this point I think the only way I can get some is if a kind ima shares a recipe and I try to make it.
By the way I remember zserbo too. It was a few layers of dough, not flaky dough but a delicious melt in your mouth pastry dough, a few layers of nut filling and a thin layer of chocolate icing on top.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 11:40 pm
amother Sage wrote:

By the way I remember zserbo too. It was a few layers of dough, not flaky dough but a delicious melt in your mouth pastry dough, a few layers of nut filling and a thin layer of chocolate icing on top.

In the olden days I think Korns and other bakeries sold Zserbo regularly. I think the old Nitra cookbook had recipes. One for nut filling, and another similar cake with a layer of "moon (poppy)" and a layer of ground nuts, if I remember correctly. I think one may have been called Fluden.

The Levelesh cake I remember was extremely thin layers of flaky dough with cholate in between the layers of dough, and choc glaze on top, like the others mentioned here.

But the Levelesh I remember had an extremely thin layer of dough, unlike Zserbo or Fluden.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics