Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/O teachers salaries
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Snowflake

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 10:44 am
amother Cobalt wrote:
Do public school teachers count or you're only looking for private? I teach in the DOE and hit $100k this year (my 8th). I work 8:30-3. Ten months but it gets paid over twelve months. Full health insurance that I don't pay anything for. Summers off, week off in December, week off for February break, week off for Pesach, and random holidays here and there throughout the year. There are plenty of things to complain about but all in all I know I'm getting a pretty sweet deal. I have considered switching to a Jewish school because of the better environment and tuition breaks but at the end of the day I don't think it's worth it, all factors considered.

Location is important as well. Most public school districts pay scales are nowhere as high as NYC (I know when pple say DOE that's what they are referring to). Jewish school salaries will vary also according to location.
FWIW I worked in a ps system for almost 20 years, had a masters plus 20 by the end, and didn't get anything close to 6 figures....it took me that much time to get to 70k.

amother
Heather

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 10:46 am
amother Springgreen wrote:
Why again do teachers needs tips so badly?? The pay seems better than any other job with no degree.

That blows my mind!!!!

amother
NeonPurple

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 10:51 am
$48k/gross annually, no benefits, no Chasdei Lev, 16 periods per week. Upper grades.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 10:52 am
Chasdei lev is for rebbis and teachers- however part of payment for this comes from the schools budget. So some schools don’t join. I had it for a couple of years. I switched schools and now will mot not receiving it. So not everyone gets chadei lev.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 10:52 am
amother Heather wrote:
That blows my mind!!!!

Why? Getting a degree means you delayed your career for a few years, and took out tens of thousands of dollars in student loans. The point of it is to make a higher salary. It's a tradeoff. You can choose not to get a degree and take out the loans, but your salary will be lower.
Also many degree jobs come with ongoing expenses like license and certification maintenance fees and contimuing ed requirements, and the higher salary reflects thats.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 10:54 am
amother cornflower wrote:
Chasdei lev is for rebbis and teachers- however part of payment for this comes from the schools budget. So some schools don’t join. I had it for a couple of years. I switched schools and now will mot not receiving it. So not everyone gets chadei lev.

I'm glad some school choose not to do it. A larger school budget means higher tuition. Why should the parents who are often struggling themselves have to fund chasdei lev?

amother
Heather

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 10:56 am
amother Aubergine wrote:
Why? Getting a degree means you delayed your career for a few years, and took out tens of thousands of dollars in student loans. The point of it is to make a higher salary. It's a tradeoff. You can choose not to get a degree and take out the loans, but your salary will be lower.
Also many degree jobs come with ongoing expenses like license and certification maintenance fees and contimuing ed requirements, and the higher salary reflects thats.

I understand the idea of choosing a field without a degree. What blows my mind is that in some schools teachers don’t require a degree. To me, that is a degree requiring field. In the schools I am familiar with, teachers need masters degrees in education.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 11:05 am
amother NeonPurple wrote:
$48k/gross annually, no benefits, no Chasdei Lev, 16 periods per week. Upper grades.

Wow! I was earning $48k for 35 hours in a corporation with many years experience and skill. (Often had to take work home with me and was working so much more than my hours that I switched to officially 40 hrs a week so I’m earning a higher salary now) but I’m assuming you are off in the summer.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 11:16 am
amother NeonPurple wrote:

Wow. I have a masters degree and work 25 hours a week and don't make that much. And no benefits either cuz not full time

amother
Freesia

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 11:24 am
I teach 12 periods a week in HS and make 2800/month for 10 months. No other benefits. I made exactly half this amount last year for the same amount of work.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 11:45 am
These threads never end well. Teaching per hour of classroom time makes a good hourly salary. No one who hasn’t taught can understand that that rate really needs to be divided in half because you really work close to double what your official hours are.
Just like an electrician who charges you for a service call even if it’s 10 minutes, teachers who need to come and drive out for 1 period or 2 periods are going to make more money hourly than if someone is working all day.

miami85

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 11:48 am
amother Viola wrote:
No, SLP is not a teacher. Why would you think it is?

Didn't you decide to be a SLP so you would make more than a teacher?

SLPs are often referred to as "Speech teachers" when not in the public schools. In my public school district kids who get "speech only" are monitored by the SLP for their special ed reports/behavior plans etc and it's called "Teacher of Record"

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 11:52 am
Question on this topic. I got offered a job to teach 6 periods in a girls high school next year in science/math. Does anyone know someone working similar environment/hours so I can know range of what to ask for?

amother
Mimosa

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 2:12 pm
I used to work as a preschool teacher working 9:30-3 and made 14k
10 months with late payments...
5-10% off at some local shops erev Pesach as the only benefit.

amother
Nemesia

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 3:24 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
Question on this topic. I got offered a job to teach 6 periods in a girls high school next year in science/math. Does anyone know someone working similar environment/hours so I can know range of what to ask for?

Lakewood high schools are desperate. I teach in a non-Jewish school but was recently offered a job in a frum high school in the same subject matter for $70/period. I get that much tutoring privately do I didn't take it but you can certainly ask. When I asked around, I couldn't believe that they're still paying teachers $50/period and convincing them they're getting paid well. Can't Believe It

amother
Dustypink

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 3:28 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:
Quote:
HS Teacher (I have another job, too).
20 periods a week x $54/period paid for 40 weeks, paid over 10 months.... = $43,200

No one ever offered me chasdei lev. maybe cuz I am not a morah but an english teacher? I also do seit....

WOW!! That's more than I make per hour with a degree in the professional world (I make 6 figures as a salary working full time). I understand your salary is way less than mine as you work less hours and only 10 months, but the per hour is very high.

I actually have my masters in education.... Seit pays $65/70 an hour. I work pretty much full time (I travel between my two jobs) and don't end up making six figures..... And have lots of prep and marking to do...

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 3:32 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
Lakewood high schools are desperate. I teach in a non-Jewish school but was recently offered a job in a frum high school in the same subject matter for $70/period. I get that much tutoring privately do I didn't take it but you can certainly ask. When I asked around, I couldn't believe that they're still paying teachers $50/period and convincing them they're getting paid well. Can't Believe It

Thanks, I was told "not less than 60", I wasn't gonna take it for less than 75 per period (which I what I make tutoring) just curious if I would be able to get that. Especially for high school science and math, I know they need teachers)

amother
Peachpuff

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 3:37 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:
Quote:
HS Teacher (I have another job, too).
20 periods a week x $54/period paid for 40 weeks, paid over 10 months.... = $43,200

No one ever offered me chasdei lev. maybe cuz I am not a morah but an english teacher? I also do seit....

WOW!! That's more than I make per hour with a degree in the professional world (I make 6 figures as a salary working full time). I understand your salary is way less than mine as you work less hours and only 10 months, but the per hour is very high.

Can I just point out that per period, especially in high school doesn't mean per hour? Per period means 2-3 hours total (including the teaching), so if you cut the 54 into effective hours, I assume you come out with a lot less per hour than many jobs. It is true that part of the job (the pre and post work) has more "flexible" hours.
Although I will say I haven't heard of anyone irl that makes 54/period

Another thing to keep in mind, is that high school periods are not consecutive, which means that you have some 'free periods' between teaching that you may use for prep or grading, not counted in the "period count" that still costs babysitting etc, so some of the 'flexible hours' aren't so flexible when you are stuck between periods.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 3:39 pm
amother Heather wrote:
That blows my mind!!!!

Why are you saying "with no degree"?

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 3:41 pm
I'm in an MO school in NJ and make 68 with 2 kids free tuition 8:15-3:30ish
I'm the one who was very angry because the rebbeim get paid 55 for 8:15-12:45
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics