Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Two month old shots

mom2bsn

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 4:42 am
My son is getting his 2 month old shots this week. Should I give him tylenol before we go so that he will be in less pain or wait and see if he needs it after he gets the shots?

shopaholic

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 10:01 am
I never give tylenol b4. They always warn that the baby may be kvetchy but mine weren't. Maybe hold off medicating unnecessarily & see how your baby reacts.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 11:38 am
Check with your pediatrician. Dd just had her 2 month shot, and I was told that they don't give shots that could have a reaction before 3 months. When I asked if I should give Tylenol before the 3 month shot, they said not to this time. Basically, they don't like giving the baby medicine unneccessarily. If she has a reaction at 3 months, then we will know for next time to give Tylenol before. If she doesn't have a reaction, then she didn't need the meds to begin with. Made sense to me.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 12:33 pm
My dr. said that if he cried after I should give tylenol but they were all fine.

baschabad

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 1:53 pm
While I didn't vaccinate- there are other things that you can do to alleviate pain.
With the heel stick test, my midwife first held a warm wet towel onto baby's foot for five or ten minutes, and then I nursed her while she did the actual test.

Besides for biting down a little harder, the baby didn't show any signs of pain.

mom2bsn

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 6:29 pm
whats the heels tick test? I dont think he having that now--isnt that the one they do right after they are born.
Now hes just having his 2 month shots

baschabad

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 9:01 pm
Yes, the heel stick is soon after birth. I was bringing it in to show that even such painful procedures can be done in a more painless way.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 9:05 pm
granted, but I don't think many pediatricians would wait 10 min while you held a warm compress on tour beby's thighs. mine would give the shots while nursing, but he's a man and I don't hink I'd be comfortable doing that.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 7:24 am
I just don't see how women bend to nurse the baby on the table so soon after birth... I already insisted to attend the test and could hardly walk, so bending! oy!

GAMZu

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 7:49 am
Why bend? You nurse the baby on your lap as usual.

In any case, my son DID have a reaction to his first set of shots. But then again, he had reactions to ALL his shots. How can such a small baby, without an immune system, be injected with viruses and not have a reaction?
If it's pain relief for the actual NEEDLE you're talking about, then you should give Tylenol in advance. I was under the impression that that's what Tylenol was given for before the shots, and not for the reaction.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 8:36 am
Ruchel wrote:
I just don't see how women bend to nurse the baby on the table so soon after birth... I already insisted to attend the test and could hardly walk, so bending! oy!
2 months is hardly 'so soon' after birth. even with a c section yorue fully recovered by 2 months.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics