Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Insuring teens on the car
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 8:40 am
I'm wondering how everyone affordable this. I asked how much it would cost to add my son. Insurance people said $1,600 on top of what I'm paying annually. And that's just one kid! I have 3 buys that will be driving soon. Apparently they each need to be paid for separately. How does everyone do it?? I see kids driving all the time.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 8:42 am
Shop around. Speak to an insurance agency and ask them what the best they can get for you would cost. I found that my insurance was sky high because they raise the rates on you every year when you stay with the same company, and when I switched to a different insurance, I got something more affordable and my premiums went DOWN - and that was when my DD started driving and I added her!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 8:46 am
Chayalle wrote:
Shop around. Speak to an insurance agency and ask them what the best they can get for you would cost. I found that my insurance was sky high because they raise the rates on you every year when you stay with the same company, and when I switched to a different insurance, I got something more affordable and my premiums went DOWN - and that was when my DD started driving and I added her!

Thanks. Good idea. I will try this. How much do you pay for her?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 8:50 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks. Good idea. I will try this. How much do you pay for her?

She has her own car, so it's a separate charge on the insurance, not rolled into our charge, and she's driving for a few years already....don't remember what it was when she started driving. Just that when we switched insurance and added her, we paid LESS.

If you are in Lakewood, I'd recommend Ideal Insurance Agency - I've been very happy with them (great service too!)

amother
Snowflake

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 8:55 am
This is the first and only place girls are cheaper!!!

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 8:56 am
Not sure about teens but as someone upthread said we were with Allstate for a few years and it kept going up every year. At some point it was almost double what we had started with so we called geico and they got us back down to the original price we had started with.
They also haven’t gone up every year only sometimes. We were even in an accident about a year after we started with them and they had to cover surgery, and a totaled car…. And our premium did not go up.

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 10:15 am
We shopped around. We currently have Liberty Mutual. We knocked down the price by bundling our car and home insurance. They also gave us a discount for safe driving. We had to have a tracker in our cars for 3 months that tracked our driving patterns.

amother
Moccasin

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 11:46 am
Our daughter got her license when she was 19. The very day we signed her up, our insurance went up $2900!!! We went from paying $2000 to $5000.
We tried whatever we could to get it down. We couldn’t. Believe me. We tried. We live in a city (versus suburb) and it was just too bad. It’s been a few years, she is BH married and off our insurance, but,
None of our other kids have their license yet.
We simply can’t pay the bill.
When she went off, it went back to $2000.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 11:57 am
amother Snowflake wrote:
This is the first and only place girls are cheaper!!!

Brit mila?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 12:57 pm
I have heard that some people get their licenses right before going to Israel (yeshiva, seminary) and their parents don't put them onto their insurance, since they are not driving. By the time they come back, they have their license for over a year and are somewhat cheaper.

essie14

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 2:23 pm
When I turned 16 and got my license, my parents made me pay for half of my insurance. I babysat and had summer jobs.

We now live in Israel and our insurance has an app that I can pay by the day when my teens want to drive. So we only turn it on when they really need the car.

kenz

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 10:45 pm
I have 3 teens on my insurance and although it obviously raised the price, I got a huge discount for their GPA. It made such a difference that when I tried to remove one of them since she's out of town and barely ever using the car, the fees went UP b/c her good grades were giving us such a big discount. You should definitely look into all possible reductions.

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 11:24 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I have heard that some people get their licenses right before going to Israel (yeshiva, seminary) and their parents don't put them onto their insurance, since they are not driving. By the time they come back, they have their license for over a year and are somewhat cheaper.

I was told that the insurance company finds your kid's license whether you submit it or not. If he gets his license under the same address as yours they will find it. It may take a few weeks but they will get it. That's what I was told from friends that have btdt.
My son is getting his permit now and we told him he is not getting license until absolutely necessary.

amother
Gardenia

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 11:57 pm
amother Crocus wrote:
I was told that the insurance company finds your kid's license whether you submit it or not. If he gets his license under the same address as yours they will find it. It may take a few weeks but they will get it. That's what I was told from friends that have btdt.
My son is getting his permit now and we told him he is not getting license until absolutely necessary.

That generally only happens if theres a claim/accident that the driver was involved in
Or if you try shopping it with other carriers and add the driver to the quote- this would flag it for your current insurance

groisamomma

Post Fri, Mar 10 2023, 12:04 am
We added dd for $18/month. Reading this thread I'm thinking maybe we're doing something wrong?

ddmom

Post Fri, Mar 10 2023, 12:16 am
amother Crocus wrote:

True but you can prove they live oot with a school certificate, they accept that!

ddmom

Post Fri, Mar 10 2023, 12:17 am
groisamomma wrote:
We added dd for $18/month. Reading this thread I'm thinking maybe we're doing something wrong?

How? Which company?

groisamomma

Post Fri, Mar 10 2023, 12:28 am
ddmom wrote:
How? Which company?

State Farm. We added her as a qualifying driver. Now I'm wondering if she's even covered...

amother
Lightblue

Post Fri, Mar 10 2023, 12:31 am
amother Gardenia wrote:
That generally only happens if theres a claim/accident that the driver was involved in
Or if you try shopping it with other carriers and add the driver to the quote- this would flag it for your current insurance

where I live the insurances find out the child got a license even if you do nothing. but if the child isn't driving you can take them off the insurance.

singsong

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:31 am
We got a big discount from Liberty Mutual by sending them my son's report card, which is straight A's. They consider good students safer drivers.

They also told me to ask for a new quote for the same policy coverage, which was cheaper than simply adding him to our policy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics