Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Home schooling?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 10:30 pm
amother Ballota wrote:
Not even Ohr Hachinuch or Kol Torah??

Ohr Hachinuch is full for thr upcoming year . It really got popular...now, like all the other schools it's hard to get in now.

amother
Grape

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:27 pm
My son is in fourth grade in Damesek and they only have 18 kids in the class. Is that the right grade for your ten year old? Or is he in 5th grade?

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:37 pm
amother Wine wrote:
Thank you for the suggestions but these schools are way too modern. We are heimish/ chasidish with strong values and we don't want to confuse our son.

My son is in Tiferes Yechiel, they don't usually give a hard time with acceptance.
Have you tried them?

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
My youngest is 10. Looking for a heimishe Cheder for him. We’re on a bunch of wait lists.

Then I have teens. 1 entering girls high school IY”H. The rest are boys.

How old are your other boys? There are a lot of new mesivtas cropping up for heimish/chassidish crowd.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:59 pm
Chaya123 wrote:
For your son, you can try Vorka and Tiferes Yechiel.
For your high school daughter, you can try Maayan.
hatzlacha!

OP said strong chassidish values. 4 of the 13 girls there have siblings OTD and a couple of others pulled out because their daughters were hearing things they shouldn't know about just yet.

The hanhallah is really nice but I doubt it will be around next year.

As for the poster that suggested Bnos Bais Yaakov, totally off the mark. Assuming OP isn't a "tuna beigel" and she wants her daughter to hold onto those strong chassidish values then BBY and Chedvas are exactly the type of schools OP does not want.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 11:37 am
amother Grape wrote:
My son is in fourth grade in Damesek and they only have 18 kids in the class. Is that the right grade for your ten year old? Or is he in 5th grade?

Hi, can you please tell me more about Dmesek? Parent body, class sizes. What is their chinuch approach? Are they an organized school? I'd like to send my son there.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:30 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
OP said strong chassidish values. 4 of the 13 girls there have siblings OTD and a couple of others pulled out because their daughters were hearing things they shouldn't know about just yet.

That will be a real shame, the town needs a hemish girls high school.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 2:07 pm
amother Grape wrote:

I called them months ago and tried again now. They said they are not taking applications for existing grades.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 2:12 pm
amother Maroon wrote:
My son is in Tiferes Yechiel, they don't usually give a hard time with acceptance.
Have you tried them?

I got an application and will try them now. They are located pretty far from my house though.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 2:17 pm
Chaya123 wrote:
For your son, you can try Vorka and Tiferes Yechiel.
For your high school daughter, you can try Maayan.
hatzlacha!

Can you tell me more about Vorka? I did not see this on the Lakewood Boys School list.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 5:55 pm
amother Khaki wrote:

As for the poster that suggested Bnos Bais Yaakov, totally off the mark. Assuming OP isn't a "tuna beigel" and she wants her daughter to hold onto those strong chassidish values then BBY and Chedvas are exactly the type of schools OP does not want.

This is so rude, I don’t even know how to begin. Wow.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 5:56 pm
amother Apricot wrote:
That will be a real shame, the town needs a hemish girls high school.

And when it gets one, they will accept 20 girls and the rest of the girls will be not accepted anywhere.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 5:58 pm
Idk anything about Lakewood but you can't really just take a 10 year old boy and teenage girls and start homeschooling them. Are you set up for it? Are they cut out for it? I'm a strong proponent of homeschooling and I hate the entire school system (I have a masters degree and years of experience in various schools). I don't think it takes anything special to teach your own kids or that kids NEED school. But you need to be set up for it and aware of what it entails- especially at those big ages where they've also made it their social lives.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 6:10 pm
Yes people homeschool. Someone was telling me about a neighbor who homeschools. But I don’t know anything about it. It’s definitely unusual. But not unheard of at all.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 6:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
I called them months ago and tried again now. They said they are not taking applications for existing grades.
Try to get someone to push for you. Or more than one person. Most schools won’t look at an older kid unless it’s someone they trust who’s vouching for them.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 6:14 pm
amother Black wrote:
This is so rude, I don’t even know how to begin. Wow.

Please help me rephrase it so that it says what I'm trying to convey in a nicer, gentler way.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 6:30 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
Please help me rephrase it so that it says what I'm trying to convey in a nicer, gentler way.

I’m not sure that it’s possible to rephrase such a holier than thou comment in a nicer way. There are chassidish girls who go to BBY and Chedvas (and other regular BY schools that aren’t so yeshivish). Maybe they’re not the type who would go to Belz or Satmar, but nice chassidish girls who don’t have the kind of options available in BP. Further, OP said her daughter goes to a Litvish school in BP where she has many other options.

I specifically suggested BBY, because I know they are opening a second class, and they have a history of trying to accommodate, when other schools just don’t care.

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:19 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
Idk anything about Lakewood but you can't really just take a 10 year old boy and teenage girls and start homeschooling them. Are you set up for it? Are they cut out for it? I'm a strong proponent of homeschooling and I hate the entire school system (I have a masters degree and years of experience in various schools). I don't think it takes anything special to teach your own kids or that kids NEED school. But you need to be set up for it and aware of what it entails- especially at those big ages where they've also made it their social lives.

This. I’m a big fan of homeschooling, but these ages are hard. By 10 a boy is doing serious learning and needs hours of Gemara a day to keep up. And teen girls need their social life. Plus are worried about shidduchim. I’m all for homeschooling as an ideal but you need to know that you really can meet your kids social and educational needs.

Flip Flops

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:32 pm
amother Khaki wrote:

Ouch. Like the girls chose for their siblings to go OTD... Can't Believe It

keym

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:48 pm
What grade Mesivta boys?
Are you looking for Chassidishe or are you ok with a Litvish place?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries