Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Where do you live and do you like it?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 11:35 am
We live in Bayswater. I detest NY and desperately want to leave, but at the same time I really love my neighborhood.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 11:35 am
amother Crystal wrote:
A different Baltimore amother here (I replied earlier in thread). What do you mean when you ask what do people do in the summer? They work if they have jobs, kids go to camp or stay home. I'm not sure what you are asking. If you are asking about the culture where people go away for the summer - no BH, that's not a thing here.

Kids can't play in the street, cars drive in the street. Kids shouldn't be playing in the street anywhere.

Schools are mostly community based and we don't have the games you see in the other cities, so there is none of this "the right school for my type" here. But also, the schools are all pretty good, so you really can't go wrong anywhere. The tricky part is if you have a kid who has learning or behavior needs. The schools work with learning needs, not so much with severe behavior issues.

The neighborhoods - everyone lives with everyone else and for the most part our schools are very mixed just like the blocks. And we like it that way.

I think she meant to ask if they can play outside with friends

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 11:52 am
Another Givat Ze'ev person here and I love it! I'm just sad that prices are rising so much because I want my kids to be able to live here when they get married but chances are they're going to have to move further out.

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 11:54 am
Teaneck, NJ very happy

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 11:58 am
I’m originally from Detroit. I live in Jackson, NJ for various reasons- most of which are because I’m an out of towner who needs my space. We’re about 10 minutes out of Lakewood- 15-20ish from my kids’ schools. I like it.

amother
Hyssop

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:05 pm
amother NeonPink wrote:
Teaneck, NJ very happy

Me too!!!

amother
Daylily

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:10 pm
Toronto

Really don’t like it anymore. So expensive. People are very cliquey.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:22 pm
amother Topaz wrote:
UWS. I love so much about it.

Another UWSider here. Love it!

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:25 pm
Also live in Baltimore and love it. The city itself isn't all that beautiful but there is so much that makes up for it in warmth, out of town with amenities, friendly people and neighbors from all walks of life. My kids are in great schools. There are some neighborhoods that are less safe, but where we live, my kids totally play outside and it's as safe as any other city. COL has gone up like everywhere but way more affordable than the tri-state area.
I love that (in my area and probably for the most part here) 'fancy' here H&M and zara:)

amother
Thistle

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:29 pm
I'm in northern california and love it. super nice people, beautiful weather and nature, small, warm jewish community where everyone matters

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:46 pm
I live in Rhode Island. I love it here...it's really a wonderful place to live.

However, the community keeps dwindling, so not sure how much longer our family will be able to hold out.

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:51 pm
Have you noticed whenever there is a thread asking about cities, all the Baltimommies come out and we are obsessed with our city? (aside from the ones who came here from elsewhere and don't adjust and cry everyday). Obsessed with Charm City.

amother
Chestnut

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:02 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:
North woodmere. I really like it here! Such an amazing community bh!
I just moved here we’re actually moving in today !!!

amother
Pear

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:05 pm
I live in BP and I love it here!

Sorry, OP, frum people are neither dumb or ignorant. your post makes it sound as if people are both!

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:08 pm
Boston!
Absolutely love it. Love the schools and even the fact that we have less access to gashmius. The kids obviously love our trips into Monsey/Lakewood for shopping but, as they say as we're leaving, "If we lived in town we would quickly become very fat and very poor!" (Too much incredible food! Too much access to . . . Everything and everything. There's something to say, as a frum yid in gulus, that maybe it's okay not to have access to every comfort under the sun.
We love the warmer feel out of town. It's a very wholesome place to raise kids. Yet, they "pass" along side their In-Town friends and family. The only thing that gives us away when we're in Lakewood is that we smile at strangers! 😂

amother
Springgreen

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:12 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
Have you noticed whenever there is a thread asking about cities, all the Baltimommies come out and we are obsessed with our city? (aside from the ones who came here from elsewhere and don't adjust and cry everyday). Obsessed with Charm City.

Cincinnati poster here. I've noticed. You all give me hope that a community can grow quite large and still maintain a welcoming mixed community feel.

amother
Sunflower

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:15 pm
amother Crystal wrote:

I noticed, I’m from Baltimore, lived there for longer than most of you, but it is definitely not for me. I’m much happier in Jackson bH

amother
Black

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:16 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
I'm in northern california and love it. super nice people, beautiful weather and nature, small, warm jewish community where everyone matters

Sacramento?

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:18 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
Boston!
Absolutely love it. Love the schools and even the fact that we have less access to gashmius. The kids obviously love our trips into Monsey/Lakewood for shopping but, as they say as we're leaving, "If we lived in town we would quickly become very fat and very poor!" (Too much incredible food! Too much access to . . . Everything and everything. There's something to say, as a frum yid in gulus, that maybe it's okay not to have access to every comfort under the sun.
We love the warmer feel out of town. It's a very wholesome place to raise kids. Yet, they "pass" along side their In-Town friends and family. The only thing that gives us away when we're in Lakewood is that we smile at strangers! 😂

It's just your roads that nobody likes;-)

amother
Bellflower

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:24 pm
amother Puce wrote:
Johannesburg, South Africa

I hate it.

I live in joburg too.

Here’s what I love:
1. My kids school. Its got a good secular and Kodesh education, amazing role models as teachers, diverse student body, decent sports and extra murals.

2. The Jewish community. I love my shul. The warmth. The lack of judgement. The learning opportunities.

3. The diversity and unity of the broader Jewish community. It’s totally the norm to go to a simcha (or Chas veshalom a shiva house) and see peoe from all walks and stripes of Judaism. From chareidi to secular to Mizrachi and Chabad and everything in between. (We don’t have a Chassidishe community really so not that)

4. Life style. I love how social and communal it is. I love having 2 maids and a Gardner and a big house and a pool and a trampoline. And I am not rich. I love holidaying in December and July I like Kruger. I love Sunday braais (bbq) we are not Rich. But we are fairly comfortable in joburg.
I love having a big social circle and hanging out a lot with friends and family.

5. non materialism. Every time I go overseas I cannot get over the consumerism and
materialism. The jewelry the prams the Sheitals the brand name clothing. The kids clothes. Here it’s totally normal to buy clothing from shops that sell things for $10-40 a piece. (South Africans mr price etc.) nobody is obsessed with wearing some specific brand name. (At least not in my social circles) there’s just less emphasis on constantly buying things and wearing things. Possibly because there is so much less it but. H&M and Zara are considered like high end Shopping.

6. Kosher amenities. For the size of our community we have a lot of restaurants bakeries, gelato shop caterers etc.

Here’s the cons:

1. Service delivery is a disaster. The government doesn’t supply enough electricity or Maintain roads. It’s really anxiety inducing and it only seems to be getting worse. We have solar panels and an inverter that charges almost everything in our house so it doesn’t impact us so much.

2. The fragility of the democracy of the country.

3. Cost of living is rising super fast.

4. Of course security is a concern.

5. Future for my kids here. Although I feel the world is in such flux at the moment.
Page 5 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics