Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
West Hempstead/Hewlett/Valley Stream/Oceanside
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 9:52 pm
What are these communities like?
I am looking for an easy commute to the Mineola area, however I really know next to nothing about these communities, so please educate me.

Thanks!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 10:00 pm
What’s your budget? What sort of frum community are you looking for? Valley stream is north woodmere… no frum people live in any other part of valley stream..

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 10:47 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
What’s your budget? What sort of frum community are you looking for? Valley stream is north woodmere… no frum people live in any other part of valley stream..

We are looking for a starter home (3 bedrooms) 600-700k is preferable but we can go up if there is Nothing around for that.

I don't like peer pressure, and want to be part of a welcoming community.
We are JPF - RWMO live and let live and in a positive atmosphere Judiasm wise.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 10:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
We are looking for a starter home (3 bedrooms) 600-700k is preferable but we can go up if there is Nothing around for that.

Sounds like west hempstead could be a good match for you.

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:01 pm
West hempstead or Hewlett

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:25 pm
Keep in mind Hewlett-Packard has insane property taxes.. not sure pricing for Oceanside at the moment but can tell you that north woodmere isn’t for you..

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 4:56 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:

What is North Woodmere like?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 5:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
What is North Woodmere like?

It sounds like it’s out of your budget…but if not it’s a great neighborhood and has really exploded the last few years. Lots of shuls, community events, really nice people. It has a very big mix although definitely skews younger. There is a very flatbushy element but that is by far not the only pple there lol. Very diverse including a Sephardic presence, a chabad rabbi, and frum yu shul, and more Shteibel like shul etc.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 5:52 pm
amother OP wrote:

West Hempstead is perfect for you! It's warm down to earth easygoing people. Woodmere has a lot more pressure in materialistic things, nice clothes houses etc

amother
Eggplant

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 7:28 pm
West Hempstead! I wrote a long response to the post - what’s better Hewlett or West Hempstead? A short while ago. Can’t copy and paste now be on my phone. Search that title . My post starts with “ There are several DOZEN….”

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 8:11 pm
You can definitely get a starter home in West Hempstead for 600-700k. And the commute to Mineola is 10-15 minutes, depending on traffic.
I often drive to the Mineola LIRR station and take the train from there to the city because there are many more trains coming in and leaving that station than there are in WH.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 11:02 am
Any info on Oceanside?

Also, what schools do people in North Woodmere, West Hempstead, Oceanside send to?

Thank you all!

amother
Peru

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 11:26 am
Hi I moved to north Woodmere recently! It’s a beautiful neighborhood but right now you can’t buy anything normal for under a million and there’s very little on the market. But my sil and bil moved to Oceanside recently so I can tell you about it. It’s a very small community and modern orthodox. Almost everyone send their kids to HALB, there’s 1 shul Young Israel style. Its very close knit and social there always events going on. But it’s a community that never really took off. It’s about 15 minutes from 5 towns and the people use their amenities. My sil and bil are thrilled living their though. You can get a nice house for much less than 5 towns. My sil got a new construction colonial a few years ago for about $750k. Hewlett is beautiful with a big mix of types but again it’s insanely expensive.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 11:35 am
amother Peru wrote:
Hi I moved to north Woodmere recently! It’s a beautiful neighborhood but right now you can’t buy anything normal for under a million and there’s very little on the market. But my sil and bil moved to Oceanside recently so I can tell you about it. It’s a very small community and modern orthodox. Almost everyone send their kids to HALB, there’s 1 shul Young Israel style. Its very close knit and social there always events going on. But it’s a community that never really took off. It’s about 15 minutes from 5 towns and the people use their amenities. My sil and bil are thrilled living their though. You can get a nice house for much less than 5 towns. My sil got a new construction colonial a few years ago for about $750k. Hewlett is beautiful with a big mix of types but again it’s insanely expensive.

What schools do people in North Woodmere send to?
Even a 3 bedroom starter home is a million?
I see homes on Zillow in the 8's..

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 11:39 am
Nw- mostly right wing tag, BBy, AM, darchei YKLI, south shore. some Shulamis and halb. hardly any haftr

amother
Peru

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 11:40 am
amother OP wrote:
What schools do people in North Woodmere send to?
Even a 3 bedroom starter home is a million?
I see homes on Zillow in the 8's..

Yes starter homes you can get in the 800s but they will most likely need some work. It’s doable

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 12:00 pm
amother Beige wrote:
Nw- mostly right wing tag, BBy, AM, darchei YKLI, south shore. some Shulamis and halb. hardly any haftr

I wouldn't send to HALB or HAFTR.
I was looking at Darchei, YKLI, South Shore. (Based on what I read on this site)

I just need to be North location wise.

Do people in West Hempstead send to the schools I'm looking at?
Are there any other options I'm not thinking of?

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 1:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
I wouldn't send to HALB or HAFTR.
I was looking at Darchei, YKLI, South Shore. (Based on what I read on this site)

I just need to be North location wise.

Do people in West Hempstead send to the schools I'm looking at?
Are there any other options I'm not thinking of?

Yes a lot send to HANC but many send to those schools too

All depending on which shul you join you'll def have ppl in west hempstead going to darchei etc.. just not as many as north woodmere

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 2:21 pm
amother Jade wrote:
Yes a lot send to HANC but many send to those schools too

All depending on which shul you join you'll def have ppl in west hempstead going to darchei etc.. just not as many as north woodmere

Thank you for your help!
Which shuls should I look into?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 4:13 pm
It's a nice mix of kids/schools anywhere you daven, but it sounds like BTU might be a good fit for you.
https://www.btuwh.org/
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating