Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Getting a new ge oven- what do you use the griddle for?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 2:30 pm
That black piece in the middle… do you use it?

Highstrung

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 2:31 pm
Never used it . Have my oven for 8 years

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 2:35 pm
I’m wondering if it can be used as a blech?
Or maybe to keep food warm?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 5:51 pm
I have a Samsung one with a griddle. We use it for pancakes and French toast.

amother
Brickred

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 5:56 pm
I replaced my griddle with a third grate . Much more functional

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 5:58 pm
I have mine for almost 7 years but never found out if the prereasoned griddle is a kashrus issue.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 6:02 pm
Does it have to be toiveled? Is it removable? How do you clean it?

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 7:53 pm
It’s not a blech! That’s for sure.

I don’t have one but I would love one for French toast and pancakes. Yes it has to be toveled.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 7:55 pm
Lol I just use it as an extra counter when serving.

I got a grate instead of the griddle for pesach. But I'm not used to the extra flame so it's not really a help for my.

Diary

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 8:46 pm
I have the same one! Total waste of space I never use it. I just use it to put my utensils, pot covers etc when im cooking.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 8:51 pm
For those who do use it, how do you wash it? Do you pick it up and wash it in the sink? It’s really heavy!

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 8:56 pm
We use it as a blech it's great.

What's the difference between this and a sheet of metal "blech" this fits perfectly and doesn't need to be moved each week.

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 8:57 pm
amother Amaranthus wrote:
For those who do use it, how do you wash it? Do you pick it up and wash it in the sink? It’s really heavy!

Never have food directly on it so it mostly just gets wiped down maybe once a week washed with hot soapy water near the sink so we can clean the full stove top

cbsp

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 8:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
Does it have to be toiveled? Is it removable? How do you clean it?

It needs to be toiveled if you're cooking on it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 9:06 pm
amother Crocus wrote:

What's the difference between this and a sheet of metal "blech" this fits perfectly and doesn't need to be moved each week.

What do you put on it? Chulent? Food for Friday night? Does it make the kitchen warm if you leave it on all shabbos? Does a blech have to be toiveled? (I don’t think so…)

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 9:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
What do you put on it? Chulent? Food for Friday night? Does it make the kitchen warm if you leave it on all shabbos? Does a blech have to be toiveled? (I don’t think so…)

Kitchen is large enough that it doesn't feel warm but it is probably space dependant. Ours has two flames so you can choose how many to put on. Soup Friday night but it's liquid so once removed it stays off (goes on before shabbos) and a lot of the solid shabbos day food (kugel, schnitzel) I don't ever make cholent on a blech but I guess you can if your used to it

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 9:36 pm
amother Crocus wrote:
Kitchen is large enough that it doesn't feel warm but it is probably space dependant. Ours has two flames so you can choose how many to put on. Soup Friday night but it's liquid so once removed it stays off (goes on before shabbos) and a lot of the solid shabbos day food (kugel, schnitzel) I don't ever make cholent on a blech but I guess you can if your used to it

Thanks
Why do you prefer to leave on the flame over using shabbos mode on the oven?

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 9:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks
Why do you prefer to leave on the flame over using shabbos mode on the oven?

We hold that you can't put even solid food in and out of a hot oven but that you can place it on or near the blech so it's how I hear food shabbos morning

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 10:29 pm
amother Crocus wrote:
We hold that you can't put even solid food in and out of a hot oven but that you can place it on or near the blech so it's how I hear food shabbos morning

Oh.. no, I wasn’t talking about shabbos morning. I don’t think using an oven to heat up food on shabbos is permissible.
Shabbos mode on the oven is for Friday night. I set it before shabbos to shut off 1.5 hours after shabbos begins so the oven is off when the meal starts and the food is still warm.
I usually heat up food on shabbos morning on top of the crockpot.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:38 pm
amother Crocus wrote:

Please AYLOR, one of the characteristics of a blech that makes it permissible for Shabbos is that it cannot be something that is typically used for cooking in it’s normal way, this seems to be halachically very problematic.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen