Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Pesach Chapped Lips

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 11:27 am
On a regular day I slather my lips with chap stick, Vaseline and of course laneige lip mask. With all that my lips still tend to dry and peel. I avoid lipstick since I’ve noticed it makes it worse. I am wondering if there is anything I can do over the upcoming 3 day yom tov. The wine dries me out more (assuming it’s the wine) and I find my lips to be particularly dry and peel a lot over Pesach. In the past I would put a glop of Vaseline on my lips without rubbing it in before going to sleep which helped somewhat but I recently saw a Halacha post which made me realize it’s not so ideal. Does anyone have any suggestions? After three days, my lips are going to be in baaad shape.

seafood

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 11:28 am
amother OP wrote:
On a regular day I slather my lips with chap stick, Vaseline and of course laneige lip mask. With all that my lips still tend to dry and peel. I avoid lipstick since I’ve noticed it makes it worse. I am wondering if there is anything I can do over the upcoming 3 day yom tov. The wine dries me out more (assuming it’s the wine) and I find my lips to be particularly dry and peel a lot over Pesach. In the past I would put a glop of Vaseline on my lips without rubbing it in before going to sleep which helped somewhat but I recently saw a Halacha post which made me realize it’s not so ideal. Does anyone have any suggestions? After three days, my lips are going to be in baaad shape.

On yom tov you can rub olive oil. Ask your rav but if my lips are chapped on Shabbos I keep a small cup with a bit of olive oil inside around and rub it in every few minutes. Really helps

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 11:31 am
I have a bottle of jojoba oil for YT (Thanks Frantic Frummie. You still on here?) I find it wonderful on my skin and I often dab a drop on my lips. A little goes a long way.

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 11:31 am
Try spray aquaphor

https://www.amazon.com/Aquapho.....ss_tl

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 1:22 pm
Oooh!! Such great ideas!!! Thank you!!

iluvy

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 1:31 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:
Try spray aquaphor

https://www.amazon.com/Aquapho.....ss_tl

You put this on your lips? Does it get in your mouth?

amother
Geranium

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 1:43 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I have a bottle of jojoba oil for YT (Thanks Frantic Frummie. You still on here?) I find it wonderful on my skin and I often dab a drop on my lips. A little goes a long way.

You can rub oil on your face on Yom tov?

cookier

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 1:45 pm
Chayalle wrote:

Second this. Liquid lanolin, jojoba, or even vitamin E oil.

Aquaphor spray is good too but def don't spray it on your face/lips - you’ll get a face full of butane. I spray on my hands and let the bubbles go away, then put it on my lips.

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 6:22 pm
I just use the aquaphor spray on the back of my hand and transfer to my lips. I also use vitamin e oil but mine has stuff added so I don't use it on pesach

sara_s

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 6:39 pm
I don't know if it's KLP but I used to have a roll on lip gloss where the gloss was totally liquid, which I was told I could use on Shabbos. The same idea as a roll on deodorant, but for lips.

emzod42

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 6:42 pm
Maybe coconut oil? I put that on my lips sometimes. You could put a little in a clean contact lens case.

URHL

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 7:54 pm
I've heard people also use baby oil...

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:42 pm
I asked 2 different ravs on this for shabbos use because I was on a medication that dried my lips so bad. I put a glob of Vaseline on a piece of aluminum foil and dab it making sure I bring my lips to the foil and not the other way. Both ravs said this was permissible for anyone.

amother
Topaz

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:14 pm
Would any of these help for dh who has a cracked lip that’s having a very hard time heeling?

amother
Pear

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 4:51 am
I was told I could dab the chapstick on to my lips instead of rubbing it.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 7:26 am
amother Mintcream wrote:
I asked 2 different ravs on this for shabbos use because I was on a medication that dried my lips so bad. I put a glob of Vaseline on a piece of aluminum foil and dab it making sure I bring my lips to the foil and not the other way. Both ravs said this was permissible for anyone.

Is this permissible after lips are chapped as well or only before

amother
Mintcream

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 9:15 am
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
Is this permissible after lips are chapped as well or only before

From what I learned even after but specifically Vaseline because it’s not refuah as it’s not a healing ointment only a soothing method if that makes sense.

amother
Tomato

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 8:55 pm
seafood wrote:
On yom tov you can rub olive oil. Ask your rav but if my lips are chapped on Shabbos I keep a small cup with a bit of olive oil inside around and rub it in every few minutes. Really helps

It’s not so simple halachically. This is from Shulchan Aruch Harav but I saw similar elsewhere:
May one smear oil on cracked or dry skin, such as chapped lips?[11]

No, as this is clearly evident that it is being done for healing purposes. However, one may smear the oil near the dried skin, and have it flow onto the dry area, as explained above. [Thus, for dried lips, one may eat a vegetable dipped in oil and thus consequently oil his lips.]

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 12:04 am
Chayalle wrote:

Which brand is usable on lips on Pesach (Chol Hamoed only I assume)?

Amazon has this one that has 50,000 ratings.

Has anyone asked a Rov if this or another Jojoba Oil is ok for lips year round and/or Pesach?

https://www.amazon.com/USDA-Or.....ss_tl
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics