Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
When are you making your pesach Chulent?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 9:29 pm
Can you make it ahead of time?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 9:34 pm
Potato kugel cholent. Batter part will be prepared on erev YT and poured into a mason jar with paper towel on top to keep it from turning brown.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....81257

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 9:36 pm
Thank you !

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 9:40 pm
Ra mom. What do ya serve your kids on erev pesach ?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 9:44 pm
Paskesz Crispit pesach crackers (like flatbread crackers) with mashed and seasoned avocado, tuna, sliced eggs, and sliced kielbasa (everybody takes what they like).
Closer to the zman, we have fresh kugel and baked/grilled chicken breast.

lamplighter

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 10:16 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Potato kugel cholent. Batter part will be prepared on erev YT and poured into a mason jar with paper towel on top to keep it from turning brown.

This sounds perfect. I want to go buy a mason jar for this purpose. What size jar should I get?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 10:24 pm
lamplighter wrote:
This sounds perfect. I want to go buy a mason jar for this purpose. What size jar should I get?

I think 2 liters for the 6 Yukon gold shredded potato kugel mix (I don't slice the other 3 potatoes in advance, and the sautéed onions are kept separate until ready to layer, as is the raw meat). Use a tall 3 liter mason jar if you make a larger cholent (I find tall and thin works better for this, less to turn brown). Can't remember if mine is 2 or 3.

lamplighter

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 10:26 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I think 2 liters for the 6 Yukon gold shredded potato kugel mix (I don't slice the other 3 potatoes in advance, and the sautéed onions are kept separate until ready to layer, as is the raw meat). Use a tall 3 liter mason jar if you make a larger cholent (I find tall and thin works better for this, less to turn brown). Can't remember if mine is 2 or 3.

Thanks so much. That makes sense! I appreciate your help as always ☺️

lamplighter

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 10:30 pm
ra_mom wrote:

One more question. When you say put the paper towel on top. Can you explain literally what you do...take a paper towel and....? And then put the seal over that?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 10:35 pm
lamplighter wrote:
One more question. When you say put the paper towel on top. Can you explain literally what you do...take a paper towel and....? And then put the seal over that?

The paper towel should be flat and neat covering the entire surface of the batter at the top of the jar (batter covered and not exposed). This will keep the batter underneath it from turning brown, if the mason jar is sealed and placed in the refrigerator.
When you take it out to use, remove the now black paper towel. Then scoop out the little bit of surface batter that turned color. Use the rest of the potato kugel batter in your potato kugel cholent recipe.

doodlesmom

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 10:39 pm
I’ll just make it Friday morning.

lamplighter

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 10:39 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The paper towel should be flat and neat covering the entire surface of the batter at the top of the jar (batter covered and not exposed). This will keep the batter underneath it from turning brown, if the mason jar is sealed and placed in the refrigerator.
When you take it out to use, remove the now black paper towel. Then scoop out the little bit of surface batter that turned color. Use the rest of the potato kugel batter in your potato kugel cholent recipe.

Perfect. Thanks

amother
Thistle

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 10:45 pm
Today, now.

Lol Sorry I couldn't resist. Why are you thinking planning and worrying about this now?

amother
Yarrow

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 11:44 pm
ra_mom

would this jar be good? https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

or better to get this?

https://www.amazon.com/Parfait.....;th=1

Also, how do you store the diced sauted onion that is not in the kugel mixture? Do you also make that in advance?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 12:29 am
amother Yarrow wrote:
ra_mom

would this jar be good? https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

or better to get this?

https://www.amazon.com/Parfait.....;th=1

Also, how do you store the diced sauted onion that is not in the kugel mixture? Do you also make that in advance?

If you have the height in your fridge, for sure the 2nd one.
The onion in that recipe is sautéed so I sauté it and refrigerate in a 1/2 lb container until I'm ready to assemble the cholent. (There's also grated raw onion in the potato kugel mixture.)

s1

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 4:52 am
I have a crockpot on a time switch that will come on Friday morning and I’ll make the cholent in it then
If I manage I’ll make a kishke in advance and freeze it

scientist

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:20 am
I’m curious. If the potato batter is being used for a Paysach chulent, why are you concerned about it not turning brown before you cook it? Isn’t it going to turn brown anyway by the time you serve it on Shabbos afternoon?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:20 am
ra_mom wrote:

‘BINAH PESACH CHOLENT (please excuse typos)

Kugel layer:

6 Yukon gold potatoes
1 onion
4 eggs
1/2 c oil
1 T salt

Cholent layer:

3 sliced Yukon gold potatoes
1 onion, diced and sauteed in 2 T oil
1 lb flanken
1 c boiling water

To prepare kugel layer, shred potatoes and onion in food processor. Add oil, salt and mix. Place half the mixture in bottom of crockpot.

Place sliced potatoes on top of kugel mixture. Add sauteed onions on top, then lay meat. Pour remaining kugel layer on top. Put boiling water on top. ‘

I cut & pasted from the old thread you linked.
You followed this exact recipe ?
I never heard of putting sliced potatoes into a pesach Chulent. And boiling water ??
I usually just layer the shredded potato Layer & flanken layer

Please let me know.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 8:52 am
Can’t you just make a potato kugel, freeze it & then add it to the meat & make the Chulent on erev Yom Tov?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 9:00 am
amother OP wrote:
‘BINAH PESACH CHOLENT (please excuse typos)

Kugel layer:

6 Yukon gold potatoes
1 onion
4 eggs
1/2 c oil
1 T salt

Cholent layer:

3 sliced Yukon gold potatoes
1 onion, diced and sauteed in 2 T oil
1 lb flanken
1 c boiling water

To prepare kugel layer, shred potatoes and onion in food processor. Add oil, salt and mix. Place half the mixture in bottom of crockpot.

Place sliced potatoes on top of kugel mixture. Add sauteed onions on top, then lay meat. Pour remaining kugel layer on top. Put boiling water on top. ‘

I cut & pasted from the old thread you linked.
You followed this exact recipe ?
I never heard of putting sliced potatoes into a pesach Chulent. And boiling water ??
I usually just layer the shredded potato Layer & flanken layer

Please let me know.

I use this exact recipe. Sliced potato adds a nice cholent texture to this. It's not actually a potato kugel, not firm at all. It is cholent.
I always forget to add the boiling water, so I guess that's not part of how I do it exactly. Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics