Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Putting baby boys name on birth certificate before the bris
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 11:11 pm
Does anyone know what the halacha is for putting down the baby's name on the birth certificate and social security form before the bris? At my hospital they give out these forms after you give birth and it's so much easier to fill them out there and have them handle the paperwork then to wait and do it myself at home. I have two girls so it was never a problem, but now I am pregnant and we were told it's a boy at the sonogram (we'll see if they're right lol Smile ). I am curious what the halacha is and what other people do.

mummy

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 11:14 pm
Our Rav said we could write the name but not say it. It is not ideal and we didn't do it in the end. However we still do not have ds's full birth certificate over a year later.

octopus

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 11:14 pm
We gave our son an english name for the birth certificate.

Maya

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 11:16 pm
We put it on the birth certificate in the hospital, before the bris. I didn't even know that it's a shailah.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 11:22 pm
We always did it. Much more convenient.

micki

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 11:24 pm
we were told not to.
and he was 3.5 week at his bris.
good thing cause we decide on a different name last ,minute.

Garden-Gnome

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 11:35 pm
My husband wanted to but I, not being from the US, insisted not to because it didn't feel (to me) like the right thing to do.

It is a difficult, time-consuming process to get a name added on the birth certificate and a social security number. But I did do it! DS now has both.

I'd do it this way again too.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 12:15 am
we didnt, it cost us months and months of hassle, and I probably sstill wouldnt do ti anyway, I'm afraid if the we change our mind at the last minute the baby will be stuck with a name on the b.c. that'snot his.

Marion

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 1:58 am
Another non-issue for us in Israel.

chavamom

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 2:12 am
It's funny, the hospital I delivered in last time told ME what to do. They held the form with the birth certificate secretary (most have them) until we named him and then they would file it after we told them name. She was so nice about it - she called me the day after the bris to find out the name!

Tamiri

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 2:13 am
We never knew our boys' names (all five of them) before the night pre brit (decisions, decisions). I can't remember it being such a big deal to file for the name later.

yOungM0mmy

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 5:40 am
With DS1 we decided on the name months before he was born, and since we flew when he was 10 days old and needed to apply for a passport, before his bris, we were told to just write it down, and not say it. With DS2, we didnt decide on his name until 20 minutes before the actual bris, once people were already in the house! In England you have 40 days to get to your local registry office and register, so we did it about a week later.

mali

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 5:48 am
yOungM0mmy wrote:
In England you have 40 days to get to your local registry office and register, so we did it about a week later.
what happens after the 40 days are up? the baby is non-existent or simply doesn't have a name? Confused

yOungM0mmy

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 5:57 am
mali wrote:
yOungM0mmy wrote:
In England you have 40 days to get to your local registry office and register, so we did it about a week later.
what happens after the 40 days are up? the baby is non-existent or simply doesn't have a name? Confused

Actually, I dont know Confused I just know the paper they gave when we left the hospital said it is a legal requirement to register the birth within 40 days. For a start, I assume its a much bigger hassle if you leave it longer - when you do it within that time frame it takes about 10 minutes.

mali

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 6:03 am
I get it. in israel we register when the baby is born and add the name in after the bris - not a big deal (besides, I'm never the one taking care of it).

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 7:05 am
The requirement in the UK is to register the birth before six weeks have passed. If you fail to do so, it has serious repercussions on the midwife (or other health professional) who delivered the baby. If the mother is unmarried, then she must be the one to register the birth. Otherwise either parent an do it.

Speaking from personal experience - When my twins were born, there was so much going on that my hubby poshut forgot to go down to the registry office (they had their names two days after birth, and we don't give another English name or anything, so it really was very simple).

When they were 6 weeks old, we got a phone call asking us to please go register, then my hubby had to make an appointment, then the registry office collapsed in the middle of the night before he was due to go tto the appointment Bomb

In the end, they were about 8 weeks when we finally got around to doing it. Nothing major happened, we didn't have anyone banging on the door or anything!

I know 2 different people who had boys who were unable to have their brissin within the six weeks. They both gave the name Ben on the birth certificate, then added in the real name after the bris.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 8:20 am
It was a big deal cuz shimi had his bris at five weeks. so I sent in to add the name at six weeks. I forgot to send along my own ID so seven weeks later it came back asking for my ID. so the baby was 13 weeks old and I still couldnt get a social security number for him and couldnt file for my tax return. I finally got his birth certificate when he was SEVEN MONTHS OLD. next time iyh if I have a boy I know I have to include my own ID when I add the name - hopefully when he's one week old, not six.

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 9:06 am
I put the name on the form before the bris at the hospital also. I didn't tell anyone. no one but the lady who filed the birth certificate knew. It made a difference in my stress level after the baby was born not to have to worry about changing anything. When my last son was born my midwife had no problem waiting until the bris to put the name on the birth certificate. I emailed her the name when I came home from the bris. B"H for that because we didn't decide on a name till the bris.

cdawnr

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 9:28 am
Our Rav told us to do it because the beuracracy is crazy.

So we did. But the nurse didn't check the forms properly to notice that we missed something. So when I went to get a copy of his brith certificate like a month later...he had no name!

I was so annoyed because I remembered filling all the paperwork out! Anyway, we then filled out new forms but whenever I get a copy of his birth. cert it has a blank and at the bottom is an area where it notes his name as "added."

square_peg

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 9:30 am
It took me almost a year to get my older son a birth certificate. Good thing that he was born in January, bec. we didnt get a deduction for him for the previous year of course. It was such an unbelievable hassle, because my id. papers are all messed up. (lost a wallet, dont have state issued I.d.) We added the name, they spelled it wrong... not a small thing like a vowel... UJO helped me straighten it out, and I don't live in Williamsburg.

I was smarter by #2, we decided on the name - put it down on the form, and had the birth certificate in a few short weeks.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names