Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
A week to Pesach and I still....
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:11 pm
Didn't clean my
Playroom
Coat closet
Study
Living room
Dining room
Car
Strollers
Freezer
Kitchen-including fridge, oven, sinks, table, chairs, high chair

I still need to shop for groceries to cook

My kids need socks. I have a few pairs from last year but not enough, especially with a 3 day yt.

Teen dd is frantic about shopping for yt and I''ve taken her to a few stores but haven't found anything yet. Except the dress she wanted today that was $160 and there's no way I can afford that now.

My kitchen needs to be kashered.

I haven't gotten any new clothes in a few years and I was hoping to go shopping for myself.

I just don't see this all coming together. Every time I think about it, I want to cry. How do other mothers do this? It feels impossible.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:18 pm
My list is almost as long as yours!
All I can say is that yt will come in and...
Nobody will be hungry
food will be ready
table will be set
house free of chometz
everyone will have what to wear
Thats what I keep on telling myself

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:18 pm
Can you find cleaning help?
Can I pay for your dd dress?

ewwpeas20

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:19 pm
Me too

amother
Brickred

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:20 pm
I didn't start at all yet.
I always start around rosh chodesh time.
I clean the kitchen.
Once that is done, I do the rest of the house, like a regular shabbos cleaning.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:48 pm
I started to clean today. Low energy. My thyroid levels recently dropped. I’m also on new meds that cause me drowsiness and slow me down. It is what it is.
Today I cleaned my pantry closet . That was the first thing I did for Pesach so far. I asked DH to clean out my chest freezer and extra fridge in the garage so that I could buy food . DS did a shopping for me for staples and some chicken.
I asked the cleaning lady if she can show up at my door at 7:30 am this week so I can get 2 extra hours .
I will seal the playroom closet . I’m ordering a couple new toys and games online for Pesach.
Sealing almost all my kitchen cabinets.
There is still more than a week to go . A week until kashering. Why am I not worried? Oh…and I work full time.

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:20 pm
Clean out CHAMETZ ONLY and nothing else.
Whatever you’re planning to sell, don’t even touch just look if there’s no big pieces chametz and close it up.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:23 pm
Amazon has great quality socks for kids 12 pairs for $12

amother
Pistachio

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:29 pm
amother Brickred wrote:
I didn't start at all yet.
I always start around rosh chodesh time.
I clean the kitchen.
Once that is done, I do the rest of the house, like a regular shabbos cleaning.

You know what?! I think you have the most sane, correct approach I've heard in a long time. I used to clean it all and then kitchen last. We have an open floor plan, toys and couch and rug are in the same room as our table. So there's no point in cleaning the toys unless we are done eating chametz and our table/kitchen are cleaned...so ya.
I mean I'll try to do preliminary cleaning this week like a real clean of fridge and freezer, roomes etc., And then after shabbos the kitchen turn over etc. But yes I think that a lot of what people do is overdone.

ysydmom

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:33 pm
didn't finish my dining room or start the kitchen, still need to do the outside of the fridge and do my big fridge. I have no idea what I still need to buy I need to check my shopping list and see what's left.

amother
Lily

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:35 pm
I am pregnant and have no energy.
I had a cleaning lady for four hours on Thursday and she did the fridge/freezer and oven, another lady today for four hours did the rest: counters, sinks, stovetops, table/chairs, and the floor. Done.
Now we can bring down the Pesach boxes and start taking stock of what we have and what we need.
The rest of the house will happen this week by my kids, Dh, or if I'm lucky, another cleaning lady.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 8:13 pm
I'd almost rather be cleaning/cooking like usual. Instead we agreed to go away despite my reservations and it's a week to Pesach and we still haven't received the passports we need. I am freaking out that we will end up having to cancel our trip at the last minute and still have to make Pesach.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 8:15 pm
You are all so so sweet. You've really made me feel better. I think I'm going to go with the clean the kitchen and then the rest of the house like it's shabbos approach. I don't know that I can do any more than that.

Amother teal, I'm really touched that you would pay for my dd's dress. It means so much. I'm going to shop around some more and hopefully will find something a bit more in budget.

I do have some cleaning help. That's where I put my money because there's just no way I can do it otherwise. It's way too much. My dh is really not around much so it's pretty much all on me. He'll help me kasher the sink but that's it. Otherwise I'm a one man show together with a bunch of kids bh.

L25

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 8:18 pm
[quote="amother Bottlebrush"]Amazon has great quality socks for kids 12 pairs for $12[/quote

link please?

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 8:30 pm
The year of covid I was pregnant and turned over my house 3 days before. I did to my fridge and freezer 5 days before so I could shop. We don't eat upstairs so we did basic cleaning. Play room I spent time on but most areas was just vacuum.

Sebastian

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 8:34 pm
Buy socks on amazon. Let you and your dd get dresses from shein (betweencarpools has a post with links). Focus on cleaning and kashering the kitchen then do whats left.

amother
Mayflower

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 8:43 pm
It doesn't sound like it's so behind to me honestly. Pesach is still over a week away and there's plenty of time to do what we need to do. I don't go crazy with cleaning at all. We do a very good vacuuming and that's it. The kitchen I do a bit better and I turn over. Happens to be in my house. I don't enjoy cleaning at all and my husband takes the lead on pesach cleaning. I have not done really any cleaning but I have done the shopping and I will do all the cooking.
Since we don't go crazy, my upstairs took about 20 minutes. We don't eat much up there and it's clean regularly. Anyways. My kids went through the stuff in their room and that was it.
My basement/garage is my husband's domain and he enjoys organizing the stuff down there so he happened to have cleaned it last week. I took him about an hour. My middle floor is the hardest since that's my living area. I went shopping today and I had no idea he was planning on cleaning. Today. I came home and my toy closet was done and my coat closet. All I have left to do is my kitchen, dining room, inside my couch. I also have to really clean my dining room chairs.
I think everyone goes a little bit too crazy and it really shouldn't be that way. I specifically don't go crazy as I don't want my kids growing up and resenting Yom tov at all.

We will all get there. I grew up in a house where my mother did not go crazy either. We turned over our kitchen the night before pesach. My memories are staying up that night. Really really late baking and cooking together. However, you do it. Just make it in a way that your children have really good memories of this time. If you're all stressed out over how it's going to get done, all the kids are going to remember has stressful this time of year is.

In my house I stress how to make our Seder more fun!

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 8:55 pm
I would be happy to pay if your dd will be happy and it's 1 task to cross off your list..

fireworker

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 8:58 pm
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
Amazon has great quality socks for kids 12 pairs for $12

Can you post link?

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 9:04 pm
I didn't start anything yet. I'm in an apartment with little ones, so if I start too early Ill probably have to redo everything. Ill start in the middle of this week and I ONLY do pesach cleaning, no spring cleaning. We plan to turn over the kitchen on Sunday and I won't be working next week BH
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics