Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My Son is short
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 7:19 am
amother Tulip wrote:
I can email you the Hamaspik Gazette book chapter on different methods medical/alternative
for how to maximize growth in children.
It is written in Yiddish.
let me know if you want it and I will send it to your screenname or email

how can I get it from you privately?

amother
Dill

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 7:20 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
was this the only symptom with this genetic issue?

sometimes kids shoot up much later on when they are much older. there can be hardly any growth when younger.how does one know just to wait it out or to go and test?

You do a bone age scan

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 7:00 pm
Ivory- what is the name
Of the weekly shot? I’m in middle of doing a work up for my daughter & don’t think she’ll be okay with daily shots. Tx!

amother
Dill

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 7:44 pm
amother NeonYellow wrote:
Ivory- what is the name
Of the weekly shot? I’m in middle of doing a work up for my daughter & don’t think she’ll be okay with daily shots. Tx!

Skytrofa. My son is taking it now and bh we’ve seen great results in a very short time.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 8:46 pm
amother NeonYellow wrote:
Ivory- what is the name

Skytrofa

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 8:59 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
Anyone here comfortable sharing names of pediatric endo in the nj area? Asked around a while ago and didn't get responses.

We use Dr Sivitz in Livingston very happy with her but did take quite a few months until we got the appointment

amother
Azalea

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 11:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
My son is 8, and BH he is "on" the charts for height, but he's bounced between the 1st and 5th percentile, and very short compared to other kids his age. I happen to be short too. I asked his pediatrician recently about possibly seeing an endocrinologist to look into growth hormones, but he told me my son has always trended upwards on the chart, and since my husband is 6 ft and my in-law family is on the taller side, he didn't think it was necessary. However, my son is overall an underdog in a lot of ways, academically, socially etc, and I would hate if his height ended up being something in addition to his other issues that cause him grief as he grows older.
I guess why I'm here, is I was wondering if other people had children who started out very short on the chart, and eventually had a growth spurt?
Did anyone here have a pediatrician that didnt encourage looking into growth hormones and you now regret it? Or you went anyway and did growth hormones and are now happy with the decision, that you went with your instinct?
Those who pushed for growth hormones, are you happy you did? Any regrets?
Would love to hear experiences from other moms in similar situations.
Thanks in advance

My son is too. Dr kept pressuring me to go to an endo and I refused. I'm very short, dh isn't tall either exactly what's to expect of the kids?! Anyhoo, I was discussing it with my mil one day and she tells me that if he has some of her family's genes he'll grow between ages 14-16. That's exactly what happened. At around 14 1/2 he had one growth spurt, he's now 15 and change, he had another growth spurts. He's still pretty short but I see him growing slowly. He will definitely not be a 6 footer. But as long as he's healthy who cares whether he's short or tall. (Anon here because I discussed it with so many people irl because my dr was driving me crazy)

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 1:59 am
amother Ivory wrote:
There's no harm in checking his hormone levels to see if he's deficient. Go to an endocrinologist. There's initial bloodwork that's done in office and another few hour long one that's done in the hospital.
I would start there.

I'm short and my husband is 6ft though most of his siblings are short. One of my sons was short and bloodwork showed a deficiency. I'm glad we are able to treat it.

Why shouldn't you know?

could a child be deficient if they are not getting enough protein or vitamins and minerals?

amother
Dandelion

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 2:23 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
could a child be deficient if they are not getting enough protein or vitamins and minerals?

No. But then you could look into vitamins and protein shakes etc, maybe see a dietician.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 5:00 am
amother Azalea wrote:
My son is too. Dr kept pressuring me to go to an endo and I refused. I'm very short, dh isn't tall either exactly what's to expect of the kids?! Anyhoo, I was discussing it with my mil one day and she tells me that if he has some of her family's genes he'll grow between ages 14-16. That's exactly what happened. At around 14 1/2 he had one growth spurt, he's now 15 and change, he had another growth spurts. He's still pretty short but I see him growing slowly. He will definitely not be a 6 footer. But as long as he's healthy who cares whether he's short or tall. (Anon here because I discussed it with so many people irl because my dr was driving me crazy)

What's the harm in going to an endocrinologist? I don't get this attitude.
He doesn't have to be 6ft but it's very difficult for a man that's very short.
Kids can be ok with it while they're kids but you don't know what they'll feel like as an adult. Don't you want to know you did your best?
If there's no deficiency and there's nothing to do, then ok. You can say abi gezunt. But if you didn't even check it out? I would feel guilty as a Mom that I didn't try it all.

amother
Gardenia

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 5:27 am
My son was not growing when he was about 8, my pediatrician was concerned and sent me to an endocrinologist. We did bone age test and the hours long blood test. This endo claimed he needed hormone shots, but I didn't like his attitude so we went for a second opinion. The second Dr was really nice and thorough, he said his results were fine and there were many reasons for a child not to grow. One of them was stress. My son had a horrible year in cheder that year, we switched to another yeshiva and went away for the summer so he had lots of sun and exercise and he grew 3 inches! He was still on the short side(shorter than his younger sis) until about 16-17 when he had a growth spurt - he is now 5'10!

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 6:00 am
amother Ivory wrote:
There's no harm in checking his hormone levels to see if he's deficient. Go to an endocrinologist. There's initial bloodwork that's done in office and another few hour long one that's done in the hospital.
I would start there.

I'm short and my husband is 6ft though most of his siblings are short. One of my sons was short and bloodwork showed a deficiency. I'm glad we are able to treat it.

Why shouldn't you know?

how accurate is the initial bloodwork done in the office?

I had my child tested for gh deficiency privately as gp wouldnt give it.

the test was done about 5 in the afternoon without fasting and came back lowish normal....

giftedmom

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 6:04 am
amother NeonPink wrote:

Yes. But like in North Korea. Or on a vegan diet. Like an extreme.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 6:53 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
how accurate is the initial bloodwork done in the office?

I had my child tested for gh deficiency privately as gp wouldnt give it.

the test was done about 5 in the afternoon without fasting and came back lowish normal....

I'm not a doctor I don't know. An endocrinologist should be able to tell you.

amother
Melon

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 6:57 am
I am 4' 11' and my husband is 5' 7". Our kids are all short. The doctor tested my 2 of my boys and we were told hormones wouldn't help as they were hormonally OK. They are now 20 and 18 and both 5' 3". The doctor thinks they are done growing.

They are bright, confident boys. People tell me they don't look so short when I tell people their height.

The only "concern" is shidduchim--which we are not there yet. I have faith they'll find someone that's ok with their height and see past to the wonderful boys they are.

amother
Dill

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 6:59 am
Let me just add that bh deficiency affects more than height. Such as bone density and stamina. Something to keep in mind. It’s not just about looks.

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 7:04 am
amother Melon wrote:
I am 4' 11' and my husband is 5' 7". Our kids are all short. The doctor tested my 2 of my boys and we were told hormones wouldn't help as they were hormonally OK. They are now 20 and 18 and both 5' 3". The doctor thinks they are done growing.

They are bright, confident boys. People tell me they don't look so short when I tell people their height.

The only "concern" is shidduchim--which we are not there yet. I have faith they'll find someone that's ok with their height and see past to the wonderful boys they are.

someone once posted on a diff thread that her child had shox gene deletion/deficiency and though wasnt gh deficient gh still helped.

I have read that gh can help even if not gh deficient...

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 7:05 am
amother Dill wrote:
Let me just add that bh deficiency affects more than height. Such as bone density and stamina. Something to keep in mind. It’s not just about looks.

are there any symptoms if it affects other things?

amother
Dill

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 7:05 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
someone once posted on a diff thread that her child had shox gene deletion/deficiency and though wasnt gh deficient gh still helped.

I have read that gh can help even if not gh deficient...

Only a little, not always, and it comes with more risks

amother
Dill

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 7:06 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
are there any symptoms if it affects other things?

Depends on severity. Personally I def noticed some symptoms with my kid. The endo said he’s not severely deficient enough to show symptoms, but fact is some of it got better now that he’s on the shots. I don’t know what will be once he stops taking them as the endo said he doesn’t need them for life.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics