Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Passover Pear Cake

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 12:45 pm
PASSOVER PEAR CAKE

Excerpt From: Leah Koenig. “Modern Jewish Cooking: Recipes & Customs for Today's Kitchen.

Time was, when dessert rolled around after the Passover seder (see page 330), people would dutifully choke down flavorless sponge cakes, tinned macaroons, and alarmingly neon jellied fruit rings as if it were part of their holiday obligation. My mom’s family used to call these sweet atrocities “Pesadrek,” a combination of the Hebrew name for Passover, Pesach, and the Yiddish word drek. (Look it up.) But dreadful Passover desserts are increasingly becoming a thing of the past. Take this moist, full-bodied cake. Layered with juicy pears and perfumed with cinnamon, it makes a great Passover dessert, yes, but would be equally welcome any day of the year.

SERVES 8

1/2 CUP/55 G PECANS, ROUGHLY CHOPPED
1/2 CUP/100 G PACKED LIGHT BROWN SUGAR
2 TSP GROUND CINNAMON
1/2 TSP GROUND NUTMEG
4 EGGS
1 CUP/200 G GRANULATED SUGAR
1/2 CUP/120 ML VEGETABLE OIL
1 TSP VANILLA EXTRACT
1 CUP/125 G MATZO CAKE MEAL
4 MEDIUM RIPE, FIRM-FLESHED PEARS, SUCH AS BARTLETT, PEELED, QUARTERED, CORED, AND CUT INTO 1/4-IN/6-MM SLICES

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C and lightly grease an 8-in/20-cm square baking pan.”

2. Mix together the pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl.

3. In a stand mixer or using a handheld electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and a large bowl, beat the eggs on medium speed until well combined and bubbly, 1 full minute. Add the granulated sugar, 2 Tbsp at a time, beating until the mixture is thick and billowy. (The gradual additions impact the cake’s final texture.) Add the vegetable oil in a steady stream, followed by the vanilla, and beat until combined. Add the matzo cake meal and beat on low speed until just combined.

4. Pour about half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of the pecan mixture and arrange about half of the pears on top. Add the remaining batter, smoothing the top with a rubber spatula. Top with the remaining pears, followed by the remaining pecan mixture.

5. Bake until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 60 to 75 minutes. (Start checking with the cake tester at 60 minutes, then every 5 minutes after that, as necessary). Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely before slicing and serving.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:34 pm
I happen to love the jellied "fruit" slices, wanna make something of it? Plus I deeply resent Pesach recipes calling for exotic ingredients like nutmeg that may be thick on the ground in places like Lakewood but aren't sold in places with smaller frum communities. I count myself lucky to find klp mayonnaise.

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:37 pm
amother Mustard wrote:
I happen to love the jellied "fruit" slices, wanna make something of it? Plus I deeply resent Pesach recipes calling for exotic ingredients like nutmeg that may be thick on the ground in places like Lakewood but aren't sold in places with smaller frum communities. I count myself lucky to find klp mayonnaise.

Nutmeg isn't exotic - I have whole nutmeg that lasts for years and years and when I need some I just grate it.

Also FWIW I buy my spices online for places like Penzey because they are much higher quality and generally less expensive. I can buy very small quantities in small bags and so I am not paying $10.00 for a bottle.

And what does a small frum community have to do with anything as nutmeg is sold in every grocery store because it is a common spice used by non-frum people especially for Xmas recipes like eggnog. LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics