Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Important High School (Mesivta) question
1  2  Next

Did you have a hard time getting your Aleph plus son who needs shiur Beis into Yeshiva?
Yes  
 60%  [ 6 ]
No  
 40%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 10

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 1:52 pm
Hi, I’m looking for a Mesivta for my son where boys are Yeshivish, self motivated, with a drive to learn. Looking for a device free environment (he’s more sheltered and wants friends who are too.) Academic wise he needs a solid “shiur Beis” easier level of learning.

My older sons needed a higher shiur and now it looks like those yeshivas don’t cater to shiur Beis. It is very disheartening and we are trying hard to find a Yeshiva that caters to Aleph plus boys who need shiur Beis. Open to various locations.

esuss

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 2:05 pm
Rabbi Jacobowitz- Hamesifte in Monsey may be good for you. Not sure if dorm though

Roosevelt located in Monsey - has a dorm.

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 2:12 pm
Hi OP, I can relate. My oldest DS went to an "elite" yeshiva where he thrived. Even with sibling status, next DS was not accepted there. From asking around, some of the names we got were Scranton, Ohr Naftoli (New Windsor), Roosevelt, Carteret, and Bayonne. This was several years ago, so things may have changed. Rabbi Binyamin Strauss in Lakewood can be a great resource as well in suggesting appropriate places.

amother
Skyblue

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 9:01 am
Just want to say that some of the yeshivos mentioned have upped their game

Scranton accepted higher self motivated learners this year rather than kids who are good, smart, into it, but need a little extra push.

I heard Roosevelt also upped their game.

A friend of mine is really struggling through getting her son into yeshiva. She is upset that there is not much aftrtt the "top" yeshivos (Riverdale Philly etc that she wasn't interested in anyway,) and the following tier (telshe Chicago etc), if Scranton like places aren't accepting so easily.

Because these bochurim don't need the lower level yeshivas. They need that middle level where they can thrive

But try Scranton and Roosevelt. I know boys who went to both and were very very happy

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 9:27 am
Look into mesivta of west bloomfield (outside Detroit). this years 9th and 10th grade are very strong, motivated boys, but they are not expecting kids to be in the same league as the kids in the other places you mentioned. Don't judge the mesivta by the current 11/12th graders! Those kids are "corona victims" and are a lot less motivated, etc....

Check out South Bend as well. It was dying for a number of years, and recently rebranded and is starting to really take hold, pretty much as you described (I think). I know two parents in 2 different cities that send there who can tell you more about it.

Mesivta of Boston-- definetly device free, yeshvish boys, desire to learn. The level of learning is more geared towards the solid 8th coming from some of the elementary schools in New England (Boston, west hartford, providence, springfield, etc), so they don't expect the kids to be on the Riverdale/Philly level of learning.

Have you considered Ner Yisrael? They also really take a pretty big variety of 8th graders.

I am going anonymous, for obvious reasons, but if you PM the user Hashem Yazor, she can tell you who I am and you can email me (or call me-- I give her permission to give you my name and number). I don't mind if you want to call me before y"t.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 9:40 am
I like Ivory's ideas. Ner might be too big but it's possible that it could be the right fit.

Nagatuck? No current info...

There are small local mesivtos scattered throughout America that may work.

amother
Skyblue

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 10:17 am
[quote="Hashem_Yaazor"]I like Ivory's ideas. Ner might be too big but it's possible that it could be the right fit.

Nagatuck? No current info...

There are small local mesivtos scattered throughout America that may work.[/quote

My friend whose son had applied to Scranton also applied to naugatuck

Supposed to be similar level

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 12:21 pm
Probably not Naugatuck. I think that for the current 9th and incoming 9th they have become much more selective. I heard of the type of boys that the OP described that were not accepted.

amother
Viola

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 4:46 pm
What about Edison?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 1:26 am
OP I just want to say - thank you all so much, for the ideas and support - Erev Pesach ! This has been a lonely journey. All of my son’s friends got into Mesivta. He so badly wants to go with them… it breaks my heart but I know we need to find him a school he can thrive in. I just wish I understood why schools don’t have a Shiur Beis. Perhaps if I understood it better I could explain it to my son…. Thank you for all the ideas.

amother
Bone

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 2:19 am
I had the same problem with one son. He was an aleph boy...an all around delight, committed to learning, no devices, extremely wholesome, sheltered, and unsuspecting. But he needed a bais shiur. We ended up pushing to get him into his first choice, he took a second farher, and was accepted with the understanding that we might need to pay someone older to learn night Seder with him (kinda like a secret tutor. As in, my son and his classmates don't know it's a tutor).

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 8:17 am
I can't remember for sure but I think Telshe Cleveland may have 2 shiurim and the chevra is on par with what you're looking for.

Tova

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 8:50 am
Ner Yisroel has a second level shiur in 9th and 10th.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 9:18 am
Does Shlangers in Baltimore have a shiur beis for ninth grade? He souns like he would fit the type there...

amother
Molasses

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 9:24 am
Check out:
Roosevelt
Yeshiva of Rochester
Mesivta of Clifton
Englewood
Springfield
Scranton
South Bend

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 9:27 am
amother Cyclamen wrote:
Does Shlangers in Baltimore have a shiur beis for ninth grade? He souns like he would fit the type there...

I don't think so.

OP, please do not hesitate to reach out if you need to, even today or tomorrow. Do not feel like you need to go into y"t with this weighing on your shoulders.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 9:32 am
amother Molasses wrote:
Check out:
Roosevelt
Yeshiva of Rochester
Mesivta of Clifton
Englewood
Springfield
Scranton
South Bend

No.

Roosevelt and Scranton have been mentioned already-- probably not.
Englewood? No, it sounds like her son is way too frum for Englewood (unless Englewood has changed in the past 18 months).
Clifton? Not sure what that is....is that adjacent to Passaic?
Springfield? Do they have a mesivta? As in R'Sorotzkin?
South Bend has been mentioned.
Rochester? maybe, not sure. Sounds like the OP's son needs a place a little bit more in the box than Rochester.

Please, I don't mean to be mean/nasty/snarky, but just throwing out random names is not helpful to the OP. Any kid who is going to consider Scranton or Roosevelt is probably not also considering Rochester, and the kid who is suitable for Rochester is is probably not also considering Englewood.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 10:07 am
I do want to reiterate that local mesivtos scattered around the country might work... Not all have been around as long to have gotten much traction.

I know the local one in Cincinnati has a dorm and phenomenal rabbeim and probably is an average level shiur with quality boys. I'm sure there must be other communities like that, but you need to find someone to give guidance and sift through them.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 10:27 am
OP Thx all. We do need something that will cater to a Yeshivish boy who lacks some skills, but mostly would benefit from a solid shiur Beis in a warm environment. I appreciate all suggestions.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 11 2023, 4:08 am
OP - thanks for all the suggestions. I will use the cover of anonymity to share my feelings. BH Pesach is beautiful and I’ve been enjoying the reprieve from the drama of finding a Mesivta. But I have this weird feeling like I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop….like I’m pushing off a wave that will come crashing down soon. I see tons of Bochrim running to Minyan and chatting and it seems at times an insurmountable bridge and the other side seems too far… I have Bitachon it will work out, but even though I believe that…I want the right to mourn having to send my baby away at such young an age, I want the space to cry a boatload of tears that somehow our society created a system so narrow most can’t fit in. I want someone to understand how hard this is for me and how it hits me square in my chest when I least expect it. I want to choose to keep my son home for highschool and not be told that there is no Yeshivish Yeshiva for a boy who needs a shiur Beis in my town. I know we will find the right place but I need space to cry and wish that things could be different- for my son and for all the wonderful boys like him. I am angry and sad (and so tired!) but I wait until everyone is asleep so I can cry alone, thank you for listening. Tomorrow I will be brave again, tonight I sit in tears.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics