Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How to clean Lego and Playmobil for pesach
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 3:21 pm
I seem to remember doing them in the wash machine other years but whatever I put it in must not have held up because I remember scooping a million little pieces how of the machine. I think it ripped right through the mess bag? Any other ideas? Yes, I’d like to use these on pesach.

amother
Pistachio

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 3:23 pm
In bathtub, bucket, sink- anything that can hold water, add a bit detergent or vinigar, agitate a bit & place in single layer on a towel to dry

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 3:24 pm
You can place them in fine mesh bags (don't overstuff). Make sure to add towels to the load to cushion and balance it all.

tichellady

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 3:37 pm
I doubt you need to clean them. don't put them on the table but unless you have actual whole pieces of food in them the size of a katzayit I don't see the issue

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 3:43 pm
tichellady wrote:
I doubt you need to clean them. don't put them on the table but unless you have actual whole pieces of food in them the size of a katzayit I don't see the issue

This is the correct answer.
Here's a quote from Kaf k
Toys: a) Only those toys which may contain a “considerable amount” of Chometz must be cleaned of same. b) Toys which don’t usually contain a “considerable amount” of Chometz but rather have small particles of slightly dirty Chometz stuck to them, may be used as is on Pesach. c) In the rare case that the small particles of Chometz appear to be in edible condition - although according to the view of most poskim, the toys may be used as is - care must be taken not to place those toys on areas where food is placed (e.g. tables, countertops etc). Furthermore, as stated above, some poskim rule that in this case the Chometz adhering to the toys should be rendered inedible. This may be accomplished in the following manner; 1) Waterproof toys may be soaked (in the tub) in the ammonia solution for a short time and then rinsed. By doing so, any Chometz which may have been stuck to the toys becomes inedible and is no longer considered Chometz. The toys may be dried and used as is. 2) Toys which can not be immersed in water can either be wiped with a sponge moistened with the ammonia solution as above, or the Chometz must be removed. Note: Any toys not being used on Pesach need not to be checked but rather they may be sold with the Chometz.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 3:43 pm
Quick wipe with baby wipe or cleaning wipe.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 8:37 am
ra_mom wrote:
You can place them in fine mesh bags (don't overstuff). Make sure to add towels to the load to cushion and balance it all.
Thank you. The towels is what I was missing last time and probably why my mesh bags exploded.

amother
Moonstone

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 8:56 am
I put playmobil in the dishwasher. Small pieces in the cutlery basket.

amother
Latte

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 9:07 am
amother Moonstone wrote:
I put playmobil in the dishwasher. Small pieces in the cutlery basket.

I put all toys in big mesh bags and wash them in the dishwasher it’s so easy and convenient

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 9:08 am
amother Babyblue wrote:
This is the correct answer.
Here's a quote from Kaf k
Toys: a) Only those toys which may contain a “considerable amount” of Chometz must be cleaned of same. b) Toys which don’t usually contain a “considerable amount” of Chometz but rather have small particles of slightly dirty Chometz stuck to them, may be used as is on Pesach. c) In the rare case that the small particles of Chometz appear to be in edible condition - although according to the view of most poskim, the toys may be used as is - care must be taken not to place those toys on areas where food is placed (e.g. tables, countertops etc). Furthermore, as stated above, some poskim rule that in this case the Chometz adhering to the toys should be rendered inedible. This may be accomplished in the following manner; 1) Waterproof toys may be soaked (in the tub) in the ammonia solution for a short time and then rinsed. By doing so, any Chometz which may have been stuck to the toys becomes inedible and is no longer considered Chometz. The toys may be dried and used as is. 2) Toys which can not be immersed in water can either be wiped with a sponge moistened with the ammonia solution as above, or the Chometz must be removed. Note: Any toys not being used on Pesach need not to be checked but rather they may be sold with the Chometz.

This!!

Ladies! There is so much to do that is halacha. Don’t add toy cleaning to your list. Grime and shmutz is not chametz!

Busybee5

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 9:30 am
I put in a duvet cover, knot it well, and also tie with an elastic band. Always works well bh.
Forgot to add that I put it in the washing machine on a 15 minute quick wash with the lowest or 2nd lowest spin.

Last edited by Busybee5 on Mon, Apr 03 2023, 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 10:01 am
watergirl wrote:
This!!

Ladies! There is so much to do that is halacha. Don’t add toy cleaning to your list. Grime and shmutz is not chametz!
I don't make myself crazy to scrub toys but Lego and playmobil get played with a lot, with food and snacks, and also on pesach and they make their way into the kitchen too. It's not that hard for me to give them a rinse.

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 10:13 am
amother OP wrote:
I don't make myself crazy to scrub toys but Lego and playmobil get played with a lot, with food and snacks, and also on pesach and they make their way into the kitchen too. It's not that hard for me to give them a rinse.

Just because someone touched chametz and then touched a toy doesn't mean you need to wash the toy. Chametz isn't radioactive waste.

If you like washing toys to keep them clean, go ahead. But that's housekeeping, not Pesach cleaning.

amother
Latte

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 10:17 am
amother Offwhite wrote:
Just because someone touched chametz and then touched a toy doesn't mean you need to wash the toy. Chametz isn't radioactive waste.

If you like washing toys to keep them clean, go ahead. But that's housekeeping, not Pesach cleaning.

I don’t think she asked to be speeched about this! She feels more comfortable washing her toys let her be. I also wash my toys that kids will play with pesach because my kids during the year eat in the playroom and I am not careful. And yes I have found pieces of cookies in the well played with toys

tweety1

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 10:56 am
Wow. That's exactly why I love this site. Always learning something new. This thread taught me that Lego and Playmobil is Mamish chumetz. Washing is not enough. We gotta burn them and buy a whole new set after y"t.

tweety1

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 10:57 am
amother Offwhite wrote:

I saw your post after my answer. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 11:06 am
tweety1 wrote:
Wow. That's exactly why I love this site. Always learning something new. This thread taught me that Lego and Playmobil is Mamish chumetz. Washing is not enough. We gotta burn them and buy a whole new set after y"t.

Exactly. If it isn’t a complete and total tircha, you aren’t doing it right. If you aren’t a burned-out shmatta,you don’t get any schar.

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 11:06 am
amother Latte wrote:
I don’t think she asked to be speeched about this! She feels more comfortable washing her toys let her be. I also wash my toys that kids will play with pesach because my kids during the year eat in the playroom and I am not careful. And yes I have found pieces of cookies in the well played with toys

Shaking out the cookies and pretzels and whatever food you find in the toys is Pesach cleaning. Washing a solid plastic surface is not.

Again, people can do whatever they want, but yes, it's worth a speech to distinguish between cleanliness and lack of chametz.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 11:13 am
Put it in a bin of soapy water dump drain and put onto a towel to dry

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 11:34 am
amother Periwinkle wrote:
Put it in a bin of soapy water dump drain and put onto a towel to dry

There are so many little pieces, it's so much easier to dump it all in a duvet cover and put on a quick wash!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry