Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Deformed Jaw due to pacifier use

amother

Post Fri, Nov 25 2005, 12:08 pm
My 2 yr old son recently went to the dr. and the dr told me his jaw his deformed b/c of sucking on the pacifier. I've noticed this too. his teeth dont fully close and touch. his upper teeth are rounded. I was told that the only way to fix it is to get rid of the pacifier immideiatly and hopefully it will go back with time. I feel terrible for letting him have his pacifier so much. I didnt know this could happen.
has this happened to anyone else?
and how did you fix it?

chen

Post Fri, Nov 25 2005, 1:22 pm
My kids sucked their thumbs and the "fix" was thousands of dollars worth of orthodontics and many hours in the orthodontist's office. the only one who escaped was one child who managed to quit sucking his thumb before he was 7 years old. Rolling Eyes

consider it tough love: he may yell without his pacifier now, but you'll be saving him the agony of orthontics. at least you can throw out a pacifier: you wouldn't amputate a thumb!

Tefila

Post Fri, Nov 25 2005, 3:32 pm
If his jaw is already deformed already nonething much u can do but orthodontics. However it's good to know for others for the future

tzivi

Post Sat, Nov 26 2005, 5:52 am
Are you sure it is a deformed jaw?
I have heard of kids' teeth being kind of out of shape, but when they stop dummy or thumb sucking they usually go back.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 02 2005, 11:15 am
well we stopped the pacifier cold turkey and it went easier than expected. I explained to him that it makes him a booboo and we should throw the paci in the garbage, so he got all serious and understood, and even when he cried for it, it was out of sadness that he couldnt have it anymore and stopped crying right away b/c he knew it would make a booboo.
now I've noticed that his teeth are just about touching again, top to bottom. though still slightly rounded. although he still has an overbite. the overbite could be genetic though since I have one and not related to pacifier use at all.

chen

Post Fri, Dec 02 2005, 12:31 pm
And an overbite in baby teeth does not necessarily mean that his permanent teeth will follow suit.

glad to hear it worked out well.

timeout

Post Sat, Dec 03 2005, 7:22 pm
This happened to my son I don't think you can se it in the picture of "cutie of the Week" but his teeth still do not meet when he closes his mouth the Dentist is hoping it will repair itself.

Tefila

Post Sat, Dec 03 2005, 7:29 pm
Timeout My teeth still do not meet b/c I sucked my two fingers for years. And I will tell u a secret I was never insulted b/c of it u see noone but me and my dentist notices it.
Yep I will confess, I was considered a model many, many many moons ago NO NOT NOW 4 SURE Exclamation and it has nothing to do w/h my teeth. Sad

timeout

Post Sat, Dec 03 2005, 7:33 pm
Thanks Freilich I feel alot better knowing it does not hurt shidduchim Wink

buba123

Post Fri, Dec 09 2005, 10:36 am
Just saw on CNN yesterday - babies using a pacifier in first year of life (to go to sleep) - reduced risk of SIDS by 90%.

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Dec 09 2005, 10:56 am
chen wrote:
My kids sucked their thumbs and the "fix" was thousands of dollars worth of orthodontics and many hours in the orthodontist's office. the only one who escaped was one child who managed to quit sucking his thumb before he was 7 years old. Rolling Eyes

consider it tough love: he may yell without his pacifier now, but you'll be saving him the agony of orthontics. at least you can throw out a pacifier: you wouldn't amputate a thumb!

LOL, my son's dentist told him do you know what we do to kids who suck their thumbs? We take them away!

It didn't stop him, and yes he will need orthodontics like the rest of my thumbsuckers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics