Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Not sure if stuff I sold in spice/baking cabinet are ok
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 11:10 am
baking powder?
soup mixes?

afraid to ask because I'm embarrassed

anyone?

rachelli66

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 11:12 am
OP are you asking if it was sold properly or if its fresh?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 11:14 am
sorry for not communicating clearly

I'm asking if I was allowed to sell it and now use
the containers are open - not sealed

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 11:19 am
If you sold any chometz for pesach it usually includes anything you may have forgotten as well. Plus, they are probably not even actual chometz. Regular baking powder I thought was only kitniyos so wouldn't even need to be sold. And soup mixes might also not be chometz..mine are kfp all year.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 11:20 am
amother OP wrote:

That's the point selling it.. totally fine!

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 11:47 am
amother OP wrote:

They are not chometz gamur so even if you don't sell pure chometz they're ok.
Soy sauce and things with wheat should be thrown out.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 12:07 pm
this year the rabbi who sold our chametz told us he was also selling our outside garbage cans with the garbage inside of it since pickup wasn't until friday. after that I didn't feel bad about selling open containers!

hodeez

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 12:12 pm
You're fine op

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 12:12 pm
amother Linen wrote:

Why???? She sold her chometz so that she shouldn't have to throw it out.

watergirl

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 12:18 pm
amother Linen wrote:

Every community’s rav sells all chametz on behalf of everyone, whether you were aware of this or not. Whether you hold you can sell chametz or not. They do this so everyone is covered in a case like this. No one needs to toss food if they are not sure if they sold it. You are covered.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 12:40 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
this year the rabbi who sold our chametz told us he was also selling our outside garbage cans with the garbage inside of it since pickup wasn't until friday. after that I didn't feel bad about selling open containers!

I wonder if you’re then allowed to use those garbage cans on pesach?

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 2:20 pm
watergirl wrote:
Every community’s rav sells all chametz on behalf of everyone, whether you were aware of this or not. Whether you hold you can sell chametz or not. They do this so everyone is covered in a case like this. No one needs to toss food if they are not sure if they sold it. You are covered.

I mentioned this to my dh who is a community rav, he says, "I don't know which community you belong to, but in most frum normative halachic communities this is entirely not true, as most hold the rav cannot sell your chometz without at least being made a shliach on your behalf. The action you might mean is only for an eiruv tavshilin to be used one time"

Odelyah

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 3:10 pm
Regardless is sounds like OP sold her chametz, including the cabinet she mentioned, but in her family they do not sell chametz gamur, and is unsure about whether the items she mentioned are in that category. OP am I understanding correctly?

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 3:58 pm
amother NeonYellow wrote:
I wonder if you’re then allowed to use those garbage cans on pesach?

he said yes. I asked. the non jew supposedly agreed to us using them. it was close to pesach so didn't have time for him to fully explain it to me

dena613

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 4:02 pm
Re the garbage, your rov did not sell your garbage cans. He soled the CHOMETZ in your garbage cans.

Open vs closed food items make no difference. If you sold your chometz, it's fine.

And everyone relies on chometz being sold. They might try not to sell it themselves, but they eat what others sold.
If you ate pizza motzei pesach or cookies the next day, where do you think it came from?

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 4:09 pm
Differing opinions so aylor

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 4:14 pm
dena613 wrote:
Re the garbage, your rov did not sell your garbage cans. He soled the CHOMETZ in your garbage cans.

Open vs closed food items make no difference. If you sold your chometz, it's fine.

And everyone relies on chometz being sold. They might try not to sell it themselves, but they eat what others sold.
If you ate pizza motzei pesach or cookies the next day, where do you think it came from?

Just wondering, for people who dont eat any sold chometz, can they not eat any of this?

What are they allowed to use?

It sounds quite difficult.

dankbar

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 4:33 pm
I'll answer based on her not allowed to sell chometz gamer. Kitnyos could be sold. Baking powder is kitnyous. Soup mixes some actually do have wheat, yeast extract so those can't. Check ingredients. Soy sauce actually has wheat in it it not only soybeans that are kitnyos.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 4:35 pm
dankbar wrote:
I'll answer based on her not allowed to sell chometz gamer. Kitnyos could be sold. Baking powder is kitnyous. Soup mixes some actually do have wheat, yeast extract so those can't. Check ingredients. Soy sauce actually has wheat in it it not only soybeans that are kitnyos.

Why would someone sell kitniyos? Theres no prohibition of owning kitniyos even if you don't eat it.

dankbar

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 4:40 pm
Chometz sold in a commercial place is fine to eat. But dayanim don't allow to sell real chometz at home. Some people will only buy products that are baked after pesach only, after pesach, if it has a label on it, saying so. Some people have even more chumras of not trusting those labels and will refrain from buying chometz till shavuos. Some will rather eat the ones they know were for sure sold in the store rather than the new, because they don't know where it was over pesach. Some will buy chometz before pesach and then take it to local grocery they should sell it for them, with their store, but it's theirs....everyone has diff minhagim and chumros.

Bread, lukshen, farfel can be made fast after pesach, so those labels are true, could be the dough was frozen and only baked after pesach idk.
Some products are only brought once,twice a year and imported. You never know if they were on a ship if they were sold. Like osem croutons, or other items from Israel brought to America like wafers, lotus cookies.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics