Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
A couple's getaway- brainstorm please with me?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 9:56 am
My husband wants to treat us to a trip in honor of a milestone birthday of mine. We had done this once before for his birthday a number of years ago and he wants to reciprocate. However, I get the honor of doing the planning ;-)

I do like planning, but at this point I don't have any great ideas...

If you ladies can help with some brainstorming ideas, I'd really appreciate it! Here are some points to keep in mind...

- We live in Ohio.
- My husband would prefer to drive somewhere, rather than fly. (I don't care either way, so not going to push this unless someone has a super idea.)
- We have Monday through Thursday, possibly Sunday too, not sure yet.
- I like outdoorsy things and my husband is willing too- but he can't walk/hike too much (feet hurt). So, that can't be the primary focus, though we can do a few shorter easy ones.
- I have terrible allergies, although I love the outdoors, so something with indoor/outdoor options.
- We don't love museums, unless super interesting.
- It would be for nowish- Spring time- most likely. But, a chance it won't be until the Fall time, so both options are ok.
- I don't care if not near kosher restaurants etc, we'll probably bring most of our food along.
- A minyan is a plus.
- We like quieter places, not chock full of people. Although the times we plan to go are probably off- peak times anyway, so won't matter.

Please feel free to respond with any ideas and I'll try to post my feedback on it.

Thanks!

scruffy

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 10:06 am
Niagara Falls?

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 10:33 am
amother OP wrote:
My husband wants to treat us to a trip in honor of a milestone birthday of mine. We had done this once before for his birthday a number of years ago and he wants to reciprocate. However, I get the honor of doing the planning ;-)

I do like planning, but at this point I don't have any great ideas...

If you ladies can help with some brainstorming ideas, I'd really appreciate it! Here are some points to keep in mind...

- We live in Ohio.
- My husband would prefer to drive somewhere, rather than fly. (I don't care either way, so not going to push this unless someone has a super idea.)
- We have Monday through Thursday, possibly Sunday too, not sure yet.
- I like outdoorsy things and my husband is willing too- but he can't walk/hike too much (feet hurt). So, that can't be the primary focus, though we can do a few shorter easy ones.
- I have terrible allergies, although I love the outdoors, so something with indoor/outdoor options.
- We don't love museums, unless super interesting.
- It would be for nowish- Spring time- most likely. But, a chance it won't be until the Fall time, so both options are ok.
- I don't care if not near kosher restaurants etc, we'll probably bring most of our food along.
- A minyan is a plus.
- We like quieter places, not chock full of people. Although the times we plan to go are probably off- peak times anyway, so won't matter.

Please feel free to respond with any ideas and I'll try to post my feedback on it.

Thanks!

I have no idea, probably doesn’t fit your criteria, but for us, a vacation is solely for relaxing and rejuvenating so we can be refreshed. Every year for the past 10 years we go to Miami, it’s nothing fancy, and we do nothing except chill and go out to eat. We love the Altair for shabbos

Rappel

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 10:46 am
Find a corner of the Delaware Water Gap and disappear for a few days. It's perfect there

Rappel

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 10:47 am
Just saw your comment about allergies. Hmmm...Grand Canyon?

doctorima

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 10:52 am
It depends where in Ohio you're coming from, but if DH prefers to drive and also wants minyan, that definitely limits your options. Louisville could be a nice option. They had a daily minyan when we were there many years ago, but it's definitely small and out of the box. For nature you've got Mammoth Cave NP. You can tour a whiskey distillery, visit some horse places, and see factories where baseball bats and cars are made. It would be perfect for 3-4 days!

For other ideas, Chicago certainly has plenty to do, but it's quite large and busy. Cleveland is a bit smaller and is near Cuyahoga Falls NP, but personally wouldn't excite me for a big birthday. Indianapolis and Detroit have minyan, but I'd be bored in either by the end of day 2.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 10:59 am
scruffy wrote:
Niagara Falls?

Thank you,
We've been there a few times as a family and I don't think I'm rushing back just yet. Also, we'd rather not go in to Canada.
It is a good suggestion.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 11:01 am
amother Offwhite wrote:
I have no idea, probably doesn’t fit your criteria, but for us, a vacation is solely for relaxing and rejuvenating so we can be refreshed. Every year for the past 10 years we go to Miami, it’s nothing fancy, and we do nothing except chill and go out to eat. We love the Altair for shabbos

Thank you,
I like relaxing too, but there is only so much relaxing I can do before getting bored over 3-4 days ;-)
I'd rather not go to Florida. If we are flying, I'd rather go to towards the West, but right now I think we are focusing on driving.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 11:02 am
Rappel wrote:
Find a corner of the Delaware Water Gap and disappear for a few days. It's perfect there

Thank you,
Do you have a specific suggestion on where to stay? To me that is just an area we pass as we drive to NY/NJ. What is there to do there besides relaxing?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 11:03 am
Rappel wrote:
Just saw your comment about allergies. Hmmm...Grand Canyon?

Thank you,
I personally have been there w/o DH, and enjoyed it. But, besides he's not keen on flying, there would be much too much walking required there to really get the most out of it.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 11:03 am
Wisconsin Dells?

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 11:04 am
Gatlinburg TN

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 11:05 am
doctorima wrote:
It depends where in Ohio you're coming from, but if DH prefers to drive and also wants minyan, that definitely limits your options. Louisville could be a nice option. They had a daily minyan when we were there many years ago, but it's definitely small and out of the box. For nature you've got Mammoth Cave NP. You can tour a whiskey distillery, visit some horse places, and see factories where baseball bats and cars are made. It would be perfect for 3-4 days!

For other ideas, Chicago certainly has plenty to do, but it's quite large and busy. Cleveland is a bit smaller and is near Cuyahoga Falls NP, but personally wouldn't excite me for a big birthday. Indianapolis and Detroit have minyan, but I'd be bored in either by the end of day 2.

Thank you,
I'll look into Louisville, sounds like a good suggestion!
I don't like Chicago and ditto what you said for Cleveland/Indianapolis/Detroit.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 11:07 am
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
Wisconsin Dells?

Thank you,
It may be a little farther than I'd like to go, but I will look into it.

amother
Mulberry

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 11:08 am
Rocky mountain National Park? The snow only dissappears later in the spring so check their website. It's the perfect outdoorsy trip for people without great mobility, so much to see from the parking lots or super easy hikes.

You can rent your own cabin, condo or hotel room in grand lake or estes park. No minyan usually & no kosher food after Denver but the store in Denver sometimes delivers.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 11:08 am
amother Gladiolus wrote:
Gatlinburg TN

Thank you,
This is also may be a bit far, but I'll look into it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 11:10 am
amother Mulberry wrote:
Rocky mountain National Park? The snow only dissappears later in the spring so check their website. It's the perfect outdoorsy trip for people without great mobility, so much to see from the parking lots or super easy hikes.

Thank you,
Definitely too far to drive, but I'll keep it in mind if we decide to fly.

mikayla18

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 11:12 am
Would you do Nashville? I've heard a bunch of people went there recently and they loved it

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 11:14 am
mikayla18 wrote:
Would you do Nashville? I've heard a bunch of people went there recently and they loved it

Thank you,
Possibly... it's also a little far, but I'll look into it. See if there's anything that interests us.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 11:20 am
Vermont is beautiful and pretty empty now. You can go on chair lifts, there’s some nice trails and hikes. We’ve been to a nice outdoor mall. Not sure about indoor.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics