Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Young child with scoliosis

workinprogress1

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 10:01 am
Hi,
My 8 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with scoliosis and wearing a brace for about 8 months. It’s really taking a toll on her mentally. She is very secretive and embarrassed of it and is constantly crying about having to wear it and feels like she is the only one with this.
I am looking for another young frum girl I can maybe connect her with so she sees there’s are other girls in her situation. Located in NY but would FaceTime if in another location.
I know there are non Jewish support groups for kids but she’s not interested. I know that seeing another frum girl in her situation would really help her.
Feel free to PM.
thank you 🙏

Supermom#1

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 1:37 pm
I had a spinal fusion - scoliosis surgery when I was 15. I was supposed to wear a brace for 23 hours daily but I just couldn't. It was quite awful. But, you want to do whatever it takes to avoid surgury for your daughter....
My own DD was diagnosed with scoliosis at age 11. It was really hard for me as I didn't want her to go thru the surgery but living in a plastic brace for a few years is awful too! We b'h found an excellent doctor who recommended that she wear a brace only 12 hrs a day so that she doesnt have to wear it to school. At this point, many years later, DD is doing well b'h. her curve hasn't improved but it hasnt gotten worse either. Everyone's happy, including the doctor.
I've since learned that other orthepedists also recommend that patients wear the brace for 12 hrs a day as opposed to 23. I guess this is the new protocol.
I wish you the best of luck!

workinprogress1

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 6:14 pm
Thank you so much for responding.
Can I ask where you live and who your doctor was?
How many degrees was her curve and do you remember the kind of brace it was?
Doctor is recommending 16-18 hours a day so not as bad as 23 but she still has to wear it to school . She has been wearing it the past 6 months or so but is miserable about it and we have a long road ahead of us so if we can get away with only 12 hours a day would be great.
But curious what angle you started at maybe was more mild.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 5:46 pm
My Down Syndrome daughter had the surgery about 4 years ago, at age 14, I think. She wss diagnosed about a year earlier. She never wore a brace. We had first and second opinions that made it seem pretty pointless to use a brace. She also would have been miserable. I do not remember what degree curve but it was pretty bad. We went to the number one pediatric surgeon in Israel and I won't say it was easy but she got through it and has no limitations any more bH. Hatzlacha.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics