Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How do boys wear tzitzis?
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 8:52 am
amother Daisy wrote:

And since he is almost Bar Mitzvah, remember that he will have to wear a natural fabric.

So wld not recommend buying the poly/cotton as he will have to go into 100% cotton or wool by 13. There are non wrinkle cotton ones.
!

What does this mean? After bar mitzvah, boys can't wear clothing that's not a natural fabric? I'm confused.

keym

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 8:59 am
amother OP wrote:
What does this mean? After bar mitzvah, boys can't wear clothing that's not a natural fabric? I'm confused.

Speak to your Rav.
We hold that once a boy becomes bar mitzvah, the beged of the tzitzis must be a 100% natural fabric. So no polynomial. Either cotton or wool and wool is ideal.
We also hold that starting at bar mitzvah, the physical begged (not the strings and excluding the hole for the head) needs to be a certain size, and the strings need to be a certain length.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 9:01 am
keym wrote:
Speak to your Rav.
We hold that once a boy becomes bar mitzvah, the beged of the tzitzis must be a 100% natural fabric. So no polynomial. Either cotton or wool and wool is ideal.
We also hold that starting at bar mitzvah, the physical begged (not the strings and excluding the hole for the head) needs to be a certain size, and the strings need to be a certain length.

ah ok, but this is not a concern for the undershirt underneath, right?

keym

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 9:05 am
amother OP wrote:
ah ok, but this is not a concern for the undershirt underneath, right?

No. The undershirt is 100% personal preference.

My boys prefer the short-sleeve, especially once they started wearing white shirts because it absorbed the worst of the sweat and discoloration for "pit stains".
And my boys hated the feel of ribbed.
Many of their friends prefer sleeveless.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 9:21 am
Thanks so much! There should be a guide to tzitzis wearing for first-time moms Smile
Next question - how often do you wash the tzitzis (that go on top of the undershirt)?

yidisheh mama

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 9:28 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks so much! There should be a guide to tzitzis wearing for first-time moms Smile
Next question - how often do you wash the tzitzis (that go on top of the undershirt)?

Weekly, unless you need to more often bec of body odor

salt

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 12:56 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for the replies! Since this will be our first time buying undershirts - any thoughts on best types? Short-sleeves vs sleevless? etc.

Ask DS.
With us, DH likes short sleeves round neck. DS1 likes short sleeves v-neck. DS2 likes sleeveless.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 1:02 am
amother OP wrote:

Ask your rav. This is not the way we hold- my husband wears poly cotton
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children