Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
Making a Tallit bag

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 2:24 am
I would love to sew DH a new tallit bag for his birthday.

Has anyone done this before and can point me to a blog or tutorial? Or if not, would it be as simple as making a pouch with a lining? And then a teffilin bag to match as just a smaller pouch?

I would also like to use leather- am I being too ambitious?!

I won’t buy one because he doesn’t actually need one. I want to make something for him- if I can’t make this I will find a different gift idea.

tweety1

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 3:33 am
I remember meeting a woman in the orthodontist office who had just finished doing a tefillen bag for her son's bar mitzvah. (Was aprox 4 years ago). I found it to be so original. I have no idea where and how she got a hold of it. I'm just telling this to you so you should know that it's doable.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 3:41 am
I don't know much about it, but sewing leather needs different needles and is a slightly different skill to sewing on fabric. Are you experienced in how to do it?

Do you want to close ot with a zipper, or just a flap to fold over?

Plain, or any decoration?

amother
Melon

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 4:44 am
I made my husband's tallis bag for our wedding. It was velvet and I embroidered it, added a zipper and a lining. Leather work is a different skill. Have you worked with leather before?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 6:44 am
Thank you for your replies!

I haven’t ever worked with leather. Some videos of making a leather pouch online seemed to show a regular sewing machine but I was puzzled by that because I know leather stitching is usually different.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 7:05 am
You need a special needle. Maybe sew some leather onto fabric that you see normally.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 7:32 am
I am currently working on one. I had the design sketched out professionally on the canvas, and then they will give it in for me to be lined inside, plus backed with leather. Both Susan Sutton in Brooklyn and her daughter Batsheva Cohen in Lakewood do this (all aspects - creating original design with you, providing color ideas and threads, guidance with stitches, and then finishing off). They are the sweetest, most helpful people to work with, and are truly talented in what they can create!

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 10:30 am
amother Emerald wrote:
I am currently working on one. I had the design sketched out professionally on the canvas, and then they will give it in for me to be lined inside, plus backed with leather. Both Susan Sutton in Brooklyn and her daughter Batsheva Cohen in Lakewood do this (all aspects - creating original design with you, providing color ideas and threads, guidance with stitches, and then finishing off). They are the sweetest, most helpful people to work with, and are truly talented in what they can create!

Do you have the contact info for Batsheva? Can I reach out directly to her or do I need to go through Susan?

Raindance

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 1:32 pm
You can usually buy leather needles in a sewing accessories shop. They have a triangular, twisted shape (I think). Make sure that your machine is strong enough to go through, and don't overlap it more that two layers. Sew slowly.

Different parts of sheep/cows leather are thick or thin, dependent on where it is on the animal. Find out if you want shiny, raw, colored, treated, hairy etc. I think something medium thick leaning towards hard leather would be best for you. You can make it softer by rolling it, but it will also make small, small wrinkles. Or you can cut it at a very flat angle at the edge to make it a bit thinner, just where you'll be sewing.

Maye look at some tutorials for sewing handbags on youtube? that might give you an idea of how to work with the material.

I have some, not much, but some experience with leather...You can PM me if you have more questions.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 2:12 pm
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
Do you have the contact info for Batsheva? Can I reach out directly to her or do I need to go through Susan?

Call or text her, she is the nicest lady ever. 732-691-0141 Batsheva Cohen
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing