Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is it possible to transition teenagers to plant based diet?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 4:07 pm
It's easier to cook same for everyone, a better diet, and less temptation for those in the house trying to stick to plant based.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 4:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
It's easier to cook same for everyone, a better diet, and less temptation for those in the house trying to stick to plant based.

Why on earth do you need to have a plant based diet?(unless it's a truly medical problem)
I dont believe in fostering all kinds of diets on a family with growing kids. I believe in healthy home cooked food.

chanatron1000

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 4:14 pm
Teenagers are people, not pets, and they have their own opinions on what food they prefer.

amother
Calendula

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 4:17 pm
No, it is not right to impose that on them (unless they really want to)

amother
Butterscotch

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 4:33 pm
There’s a difference between healthy eating and restrictive eating
And unless there is an under line medical issue
I believe in the 80/20 approach to healthy eating
If your child needs it for a theraputic treatment that’s a reason
Otherwise know that it is important to get the complete amino acid profile and essential fatty acids that animal protein provides.

As far as easier
Just provide an animal protein to accompany the plant based sides.
Also, teenagers Can and should learn to cook

amother
Bone

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 4:40 pm
I’d consider restricting your kids’ diets because of your personal preferences questionable parenting.

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 4:55 pm
amother Bone wrote:
I’d consider restricting your kids’ diets because of your personal preferences questionable parenting.

I think it totally fine. It sounds like the restriction is in the home only. The teens are free to eat what they want otherwise.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 4:59 pm
Nope
Dont do it
Not the right reason to try to do such a thing

amother
Calendula

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 4:59 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
I think it totally fine. It sounds like the restriction is in the home only. The teens are free to eat what they want otherwise.

Teens eat many meals at home. Why should they be deprived of animal proteins every single day just to make their moms life easier?
And who said they are free to eat what they want otherwise? Where are they getting this food from? They should buy their own chicken for dinner and food for shabbos meals?

amother
Bone

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 5:07 pm
amother Calendula wrote:
Teens eat many meals at home. Why should they be deprived of animal proteins every single day just to make their moms life easier?
And who said they are free to eat what they want otherwise? Where are they getting this food from? They should buy their own chicken for dinner and food for shabbos meals?

A happy medium is best. I have one friend whose mother was very healthy and restricted her kids’ intake greatly. Her kids spent all their time at 7-11 eating junk food.

NotInNJMommy

How plant based? Entirely vegan? Or is there dairy and eggs?

I think you can make one meal and also offer other proteins, yogurts, etc. that the teens can take if they want.

Last edited by NotInNJMommy on Wed, Apr 19 2023, 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Green

I think its perfectly fine to without saying anything make one meal for the whole family. That said if teen requests protein, buy it in quantity for them only and teach teen to cook it themselves and add it to said meal the rest of the family is having.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 5:10 pm
I cook modified paleo for everyone at home so I’m not opposed to “restrictive” diets in principal, I just don’t think plant based aka vegan is the way to go from a nutritional perspective.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 5:13 pm
While I understand the desire to do so it is not right for such a reason to say “hey kids no more regular dinners like you are used to!” Like that is not going to go over very well and will only create more problems.
Also their nutritional needs differ from your own op

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 5:18 pm
amother Calendula wrote:

I understood OPs question is coming from a place of making dinner in her home.

Teens that I know go out from time to time with friends to eat.

amother
Steelblue

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 5:21 pm
amother Fuchsia wrote:

Also their nutritional needs differ from your own op

This.
Teenagers are still growing and developing.

giftedmom

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 5:21 pm
Animal fat is a primary source for the body to produce hormones. Growing teens bodies are working very hard to produce all sorts of hormones. Why on earth would you do that to your kids?

lamplighter

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 5:22 pm
You can cook vegan and just add a protein option to the meal.
IMHO you cannot make your teenagers eat plant based.

amother
Calendula

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 5:24 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
I understood OPs question is coming from a place of making dinner in her home.

Teens that I know go out from time to time with friends to eat.

Most teens that I know do not go out to eat often with friends. Maybe once in a while for pizza and ice cream on a day off or something. But on a day to day basis they are eating dinner at home. It's wrong to tell teens that they need to fend for themselves on a daily basis.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 5:25 pm
I appreciate those trying to help .
Many responses here are out of line and judgemental, certainly not helpful.
I know many people (not necessarily frum) who are for example vegetarians due to belief it is a healthier diet and/or ethical reasons and who decide to raise their children that way consistent with their beliefs like any other parent makes decisions. It is common. The challenge is when they have been raised one way, you become more educated, and would like to switch.
In terms of nutrition there are people making incorrect claims here and I am not sure what there expertise is to say this nutritionally cannot be sufficient or that there is inadequate protein provided in a plant based diet.
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics