Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Help a novice buy an iPhone please!!

m-u-a-mama

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 10:26 pm
Backstory: I have been buying cheap androids for years. I'm ready to move on, my phones keep breaking and the picture quality is awful, which is kind of impt in my line of work....

Where is the best place to buy an iPhone- Apple, Verizon, third option?
What's the difference between Pro and Plus and all the other versions?
What will it cost me (ballpark)?

What else do I need to know?

mha3484

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 10:31 pm
I always buy mine at the apple store.

The pro has better materials (stainless steel vs aluminum) and a better camera

The plus is just bigger.

I just got a new phone, the 14 basic model. I am financing it at $20 a month for 2 years.

m-u-a-mama

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 10:47 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I always buy mine at the apple store.

The pro has better materials (stainless steel vs aluminum) and a better camera

The plus is just bigger.

I just got a new phone, the 14 basic model. I am financing it at $20 a month for 2 years.

Wow this is very helpful ty!

Why do you buy at apple? Or is it stam

STovah

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 10:54 pm
You can buy it anywhere, if buying unlocked they’ll generally be the same price. I prefer smaller phones and loved the original iPhone SE that I had for many years until I upgraded to the iPhone 12 mini. You can compare the different models and see price and specs on the Apple website. I think the iPhone SE is a great value if you are looking to save.

m-u-a-mama

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 12:37 am
STovah wrote:
You can buy it anywhere, if buying unlocked they’ll generally be the same price. I prefer smaller phones and loved the original iPhone SE that I had for many years until I upgraded to the iPhone 12 mini. You can compare the different models and see price and specs on the Apple website. I think the iPhone SE is a great value if you are looking to save.

Thank you!! Does the se have a good camera.though? Because thats really important to me

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 12:46 am
iPhones are priced the same everywhere and your customer servicing including technical support is the same everywhere.

iPhones now have digital sim so you don’t have to physically deal with the SIM card. You can just activate over the phone.

However there is a difference between the type of phone you need for your carrier. There are two kinds and so you need to make sure the iPhone is the one you use with your carrier. So make sure you get the right model

ETA - Wanted to clarify that you pick your carrier and then you get the iPhone that is compatible with them.

Also sometimes a carrier might have a slight discount depending on the kind of plan you get. Since I keep my phones for a long time, I have always just bought them outright - no discount - because the plan I have is less expensive over the life of the phone

By tech support I mean that wherever you buy the iPhone you can can call Apple support or brig to their Genius Bar. You can get tech support from your carrier or Best Buy for example but Apple tech support people are the best.

Last edited by Amarante on Fri, Apr 21 2023, 9:50 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
Tanzanite

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 12:50 am
pro models have the best camera. I don’t really like the mini camera

m-u-a-mama

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 8:07 am
Amarante wrote:
iPhones are priced the same everywhere and your customer servicing including technical support is the same everywhere.

Iohijes now have digital sim. Adds so you don’t have to physically deal with the SIM card so you can activate over the phone.

However there is a difference between the type of phone you need for your carrier. There are two kinds and so you need to make sure the iPhone is the one you use with yiur carrier. So make sure you get the right model

Amazing ty

m-u-a-mama

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 8:08 am
amother Tanzanite wrote:
pro models have the best camera. I don’t really like the mini camera

Thanks!

mha3484

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 10:12 am
m-u-a-mama wrote:
Wow this is very helpful ty!

Why do you buy at apple? Or is it stam

They have good customer service, if you don't know what you want you can try the phones, the employees know the specs of each really well and they help you set the phone up. So I like that.

chick567

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 11:02 am
https://www.apple.com/ca/iphone/compare/

This is really helpful in choosing which model to buy. The newest models are most expensive and have the best battery and storage.
You can decide what you need and find which model has that.

iPhones last amazingly well. I had an old model and never even felt like it was outdated. I finally upgraded because I needed more storage and a better battery.

sandyish

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 11:06 am
OP I would definitely see if purchasing through your carrier is an option, before running to buy at the Apple Store. At the Apple Store you will pay full price. When you buy through your carrier, along with buying a plan, you will almost never buy full price. Especially if you are a new customer (you may even get it for free or $100-$300 if that’s the case), and especially if you are buying an older model like the 11 or 12, which is something I would highly recommend. You will likely not realize any difference for you if you buy the 12 vs the 14. They are both amazing models that will last years. Call up Verizon and ask them for pricing.

ETA- even if you are buying through the carrier, make sure you are getting a new mode and not refurbished. It’s usually not worth the sacrifice in battery life. The only time I would recommend going the refurbished route is if you buy directly through Apple’s online refurbished store, which quality-wise is the same as buying new but with a discount.

Amarante

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 1:34 pm
sandyish wrote:
OP I would definitely see if purchasing through your carrier is an option, before running to buy at the Apple Store. At the Apple Store you will pay full price. When you buy through your carrier, along with buying a plan, you will almost never buy full price. Especially if you are a new customer (you may even get it for free or $100-$300 if that’s the case), and especially if you are buying an older model like the 11 or 12, which is something I would highly recommend. You will likely not realize any difference for you if you buy the 12 vs the 14. They are both amazing models that will last years. Call up Verizon and ask them for pricing.

ETA- even if you are buying through the carrier, make sure you are getting a new mode and not refurbished. It’s usually not worth the sacrifice in battery life. The only time I would recommend going the refurbished route is if you buy directly through Apple’s online refurbished store, which quality-wise is the same as buying new but with a discount.

Taking the *deal* from your carrier may or may not make economic sense. You have to look at the total net cost.

Often the deals are linked to more costly plans and so in the long run you wind up actually paying more.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 1:40 pm
Have bought through carrier usually and Apple a few times
If possible get the newest model which should last longest battery and most storage

SG18

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 3:43 pm
Why don't you get a better Android phone?

m-u-a-mama

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 6:23 pm
SG18 wrote:
Why don't you get a better Android phone?

I really want the camera quality on iphone

m-u-a-mama

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:04 am
Thanks everyone for your responses, they were really helpful!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics