Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
S/O are second piercings common in MO communities?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 8:21 am
Curious.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 8:36 am
I'm jpf, have a second piercing. Not common. I kind of did it to annoy my mother. In the MO community near me it's very common

amother
Zinnia

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 8:43 am
In Teaneck it is common enough that I couldn’t tell you who does and who doesn’t. Many people do and it is not a noteworthy issue.

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 8:47 am
Much more common than in jpf/yeshivish/chassidish.

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 8:49 am
I don't know how prevalent it is, but I think it's totally uncontroversial, except maybe with much older people, like age 70 and up.

BadTichelDay

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 9:05 am
DL in Israel, I have second piercings and I'm not the only one in my community. Doesn't disturb anyone. I'm not even sure if random people notice it at all.
The community tolerates a wide range of dress modes, within basic tzniut parameters. X-raying people in the street in search of fashion crimes or social convention breaches is just not a thing.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 9:09 am
I know ppl that are jpf definitely not MO that have second piercings…

Alternative

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 9:09 am
BadTichelDay wrote:
DL in Israel, I have second piercings and I'm not the only one in my community. Doesn't disturb anyone. I'm not even sure if random people notice it at all.
The community tolerates a wide range of dress modes, within basic tzniut parameters. X-raying people in the street in search of fashion crimes or social convention breaches is just not a thing.

This. I don’t think anyone really notices. Can’t even tell you who has a second piercing.
Nose rings also popular in some dati leumi circles. Those I notice.

singleagain

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 9:30 am
I've got four in one ear, two in the other

amother
NeonOrange

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:42 am
I grew up Modern Orthodox in NJ (not Teaneck), definitely was frowned upon and not common.

I now live in a dati torani community in Israel, not common here either and I would be surprised to see it on friends here.

DrMom

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:44 am
DL community in Israel. So common nobody would even think to comment on it.

rzab

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:52 am
amother NeonOrange wrote:
I grew up Modern Orthodox in NJ (not Teaneck), definitely was frowned upon and not common.

I now live in a dati torani community in Israel, not common here either and I would be surprised to see it on friends here.

I think it has changed. I'm in my upper 30s. When I was growing up it was totally frowned upon in my MO community. That is no longer the case.

I also live in a torani community in israel now and no one would think twice about it. My daughter got one at 12 years old

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:05 am
I was not pleased when DD got one but she was over 21 and didn't have to answer to me. She got married anyway, and to a gem of a guy. Now I don't even notice it. She doesn't always wear two earrings and when she does, they're tiny and not attention -getting. It's not for me, but to each her own. I don't go for big diamond rings, either, and nobody seems to object to those.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:06 am
Definitely common in Israel, less so in the US, though it's not frowned upon at all communally. It's more that MO tend to be in very professional jobs where it's wouldn't be so accepted at work. But even that's changing, it's becoming more acceptable even in extremely buttoned up professional settings.

tichellady

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:57 am
I think it's common. nose rings somewhat common too depending on the community

icedcoffee

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 12:08 pm
Common enough that I wouldn't think twice whatsoever. The reactions from the other thread are what I would associate with like, a large face tattoo. A second or third piercing doesn't even register in my mind.

Fave

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 12:12 pm
I don’t think it reflects frumness (is that a word?) level.

It’s more of a personality indicator (classy or funky)

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 12:19 pm
Yes.

It's something one wouldn't even think about, like highlighting hair.

20 years ago, my mom wouldn't let my sister (15) get highlights in her hair because she was afraid it would be considered too mature. My mom was old and had bad anxiety issues though, she was obsessed with what other people *might* think 🙄🙄🙄

Alternative

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:31 pm
amother NeonOrange wrote:

Maybe in a very chardal community it is uncommon.
In most torani communities I am familiar with in Israel, a second (and sometimes third) piercing is quite common, from age 15- grandmothers.
Nobody I know thinks twice of it.

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 2:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
Curious.

I think having zero piercings like myself is much more controversial. I have never wanted it done and in the past have worn clip-on earrings but I prefer not wearing jewellery anyway. People look at me like I am an alien when they know I don’t have them pierced. I know plenty of people with multiple piercings across the frumkeit spectrum though.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics