Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Tongue tie release
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:23 am
Yesterday I had my 11 week old babys level 2 (moderate) tongue tie cut. The doctor cut it with a scissors. I went to a surgeon everyone recommended in Ramat eshkol. He seemed to say that I don't need to do any exercises with her. When I checked online today it seems that you do need to do the exercises but there are a whole bunch of different ones that different places say to do. Does anyone have experience with this?
He did say that I should cut it because of speech issues later on and not for nursing. She is actually doing well nursing and has been basically since birth.

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:32 am
Hi im a myfounctional SLP

The doctor is wrong. I find that Israeli doctors arent as up to date with medical standards like America and Europe. You 110% need to do exercises with her especially stretching the skin so the tongue tie doesn't grow back and tether again.

A tongue tie counter to popular belief does not always have an impact on speech.

Do you have an SLP to go to?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:35 am
I don't really know of a SLP that I can go to. She didn't really need it based off of nursing and her pediatrician didn't want to do it so that's why I went to this professor to get a second opinion. I have been trying to get her to move her tongue side to side and stick it out. I am also trying to lift it up but I cant figure out how to get my finger under her tongue in order to lift it.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:50 am
Put your baby on a bed, with her head right near the edge and her feet pointing toward the center of the bed. Stand behind her. Using the middle, ring and pinky fingers on each hand, stabilize the lower jaw. Use your thumbs to indulge upper lip. Your index fingers on both hands should be free. slide both index fingers fully under the tongue on either side, lifting the tongue up as high as can possibly go. Hold for ten seconds.
My baby's doctor said to follow that stretching by swiping back and forth across the wound 5 times using a drop of coconut oil. But it was laser so I'm not sure if it's the same.
The stretching should be done every 4 hours around the clock for 2 weeks. Overnight, can go up to 5.5 hours.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:55 am
I may have gone to the same surgeon in Ramat Eshkol who told me the same thing. My child is doing amazing 4 years later.

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:56 am
amother OP wrote:
I don't really know of a SLP that I can go to. She didn't really need it based off of nursing and her pediatrician didn't want to do it so that's why I went to this professor to get a second opinion. I have been trying to get her to move her tongue side to side and stick it out. I am also trying to lift it up but I cant figure out how to get my finger under her tongue in order to lift it.

Pediatricians dont really know anything about this. I really see they do more damage than good when they dont refer to the right parties.
I like the advice above me, good way to stretch the muscles
Would you do teletherapy? I have a friend that sees patients virtually

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:56 am
amother OP wrote:
Yesterday I had my 11 week old babys level 2 (moderate) tongue tie cut. The doctor cut it with a scissors. I went to a surgeon everyone recommended in Ramat eshkol. He seemed to say that I don't need to do any exercises with her. When I checked online today it seems that you do need to do the exercises but there are a whole bunch of different ones that different places say to do. Does anyone have experience with this?
He did say that I should cut it because of speech issues later on and not for nursing. She is actually doing well nursing and has been basically since birth.

I’m not in Israel but I had the same thing with my baby. I did minimal exercises with him, because he wouldn’t let me put my finger in his mouth, but when I took another kid to the same ent I asked him to check it, and he said it looked great.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:15 am
My pediatrician actually said not to do anything, I don't always agree with him so I went to get a second opinion.
The truth is I would rather do less exercises because she really doesn't like the one I tried. Dodger blue he said not to do anything? The truth is that there is some shita online that you don't need to do anything because it won't reattach. I also am not 100% sure she needed it. But I don't want to see my crazy annoying 2hour bus ride in yerushalayim traffic going to waste Can't Believe It .
I don't mind just sticking something under her tongue to pick it up but it's to small and slippery and I can't get a good hold in order to keep the tongue up.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:17 am
amother Crystal wrote:
Pediatricians dont really know anything about this. I really see they do more damage than good when they dont refer to the right parties.
I like the advice above me, good way to stretch the muscles
Would you do teletherapy? I have a friend that sees patients virtually

I don't know if I would be willing to pay American prices for such a thing. I guess if anyone has tips on how to get my fingers under her tongue or maybe a qtip or is that crazy TMI

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:26 am
amother OP wrote:
I don't know if I would be willing to pay American prices for such a thing. I guess if anyone has tips on how to get my fingers under her tongue or maybe a qtip or is that crazy TMI

This really isnt something you want to be cheap about since if it does reattach your baby will have to get it clipped again.
I also recommend my clients to do chiro adujustments and body work in addition to the myfofuncitonal therapy and tongue tie release.

honey36

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:33 am
Sounds like they clipped it for no good reason. If she was nursing fine, I wouldn't have done it so early. If when she gets older she had issues with speech, I would reconsider.

That said, now that it's done with, if you want to stretch it, you can use a small piece of gauze to grip the tongue with so it's not too slipper. Try to stretch upwards, not outwards

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:38 am
amother Crystal wrote:
This really isnt something you want to be cheap about since if it does reattach your baby will have to get it clipped again.
I also recommend my clients to do chiro adujustments and body work in addition to the myfofuncitonal therapy and tongue tie release.

Why would she need it clipped again if it's not causing nursing issues and won't necessarily cause speech issues as you said in an earlier post?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:38 am
amother OP wrote:
My pediatrician actually said not to do anything, I don't always agree with him so I went to get a second opinion.
The truth is I would rather do less exercises because she really doesn't like the one I tried. Dodger blue he said not to do anything? The truth is that there is some shita online that you don't need to do anything because it won't reattach. I also am not 100% sure she needed it. But I don't want to see my crazy annoying 2hour bus ride in yerushalayim traffic going to waste Can't Believe It .
I don't mind just sticking something under her tongue to pick it up but it's to small and slippery and I can't get a good hold in order to keep the tongue up.

Yup! He sent us home with no instructions/told us nothing further needed to be done it.
BH speech is amazing. (the concern with reattachment)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:39 am
honey36 wrote:
Sounds like they clipped it for no good reason. If she was nursing fine, I wouldn't have done it so early. If when she gets older she had issues with speech, I would reconsider.

That said, now that it's done with, if you want to stretch it, you can use a small piece of gauze to grip the tongue with so it's not too slipper. Try to stretch upwards, not outwards

He told me that over a year old it needs to be done under anesthesia and now it's just very simple and doesn't have any hand side effects.
Thank you very much for that tip with the gauze I will go try it out now.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:40 am
amother Crystal wrote:

Which medical standards or peer reviewed studies show better outcomes with body work or chiro adjustments?
I love how you are dismissing Israeli medical establishment as out of date while promoting totally unscientific practices.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:42 am
amother OP wrote:
He told me that over a year old it needs to be done under anesthesia and now it's just very simple and doesn't have any hand side effects.
Thank you very much for that tip with the gauze I will go try it out now.

100% you do not want to be doing this under anesthesia when it is so simple at this age!
OTOH this specific surgeon is not a happy snipper! He snipped one of my children and not others since he's skilled to determine if it's required in each specific case.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:46 am
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
100% you do not want to be doing this under anesthesia when it is so simple at this age!
OTOH this specific surgeon is not a happy snipper! He snipped one of my children and not others since he's skilled to determine if it's required in each specific case.

Thank you for telling me he doesn't snip everyone. It seems like everyone walking out of his room came out with gauze in their babys mouth LOL

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:49 am
amother Mustard wrote:
Which medical standards or peer reviewed studies show better outcomes with body work or chiro adjustments?
I love how you are dismissing Israeli medical establishment as out of date while promoting totally unscientific practices.

Wow. Are you a myofunctional therapist? Did you study for years in grad school and then specialize in this field?
My professors and fellow peers all agree that chiropractic and craniosacral therapy in addition to tongue tie release and myofunctional therapy has great outcomes.

Her doctor told her not to touch the baby once its clipped. That is no longer recommended.

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:50 am
amother OP wrote:
Why would she need it clipped again if it's not causing nursing issues and won't necessarily cause speech issues as you said in an earlier post?

oh! I misread- I thought you said the baby DOES have issues with nursing

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:52 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you for telling me he doesn't snip everyone. It seems like everyone walking out of his room came out with gauze in their babys mouth LOL

Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics