Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Bringing up Shomer Shabbos in interview

Rikola

Post Sun, Jun 29 2008, 8:11 pm
I am considering a return to the work force after years of being home with my kids. I have my first intervew tomorrow (Monday). I'm out of practice in terms of interviewing. What is the best way to broach the subject of my Jewish calendar needs? I will be working in a professional atmosphere.

anuta

Post Sun, Jun 29 2008, 8:15 pm
You don't ever mention it at the interview. And its illegal for the interviewer to ask such questions.

After you get an offer and accept it, you tell the employer of your needs and how you plan to make up for that (e.g. working longer other days when Shabbat is early, taking vacation days for Jewish holidays)

Rikola

Post Sun, Jun 29 2008, 8:30 pm
Thank you. I'm not sure if I'll get the offer tomorrow or not so I wanted to be prepared. I appreciate your reply. Smile

anuta

Post Sun, Jun 29 2008, 8:35 pm
Ricola, you are welcome.

I work full-time for a large company, and I am in the workforce for almost 10 yrs... I went through 3 new job interviews/offers/positions... On my first job, I got to interview people myself and they made us aware of the rules of which questions are "illegal" during the interview. During the interview, you should not have to talk about your personal life at all. Marital status, kids or plans to have them, religion, national origin - are all off-limits topics. Not all interviewers are aware of that, and sometimes they can be chatty and personable in a good way, but its useful to know the limits.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Jun 29 2008, 9:31 pm
I agree. I only brought up shabbos/yomim tovim after I received a written offer.

When I did, I mentioned my religious observance and , in my case, this really only may effect Fridays a couple mos/yr, and they have flexible scheduling policies (I can work earlier in the day, or take another schedule that allows me every other friday off as well to minimize when this is impacted) I intend to take my allotted paid time off/unpaid for my holidays, etc. And I had a list of the holidays I'd need off (the ones occurring during the week) for the rest of the calendar year to give to my supervisor.

hatzlocha!

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jun 29 2008, 9:32 pm
See if they are aware of the jewish calendar and if you need to work on those days or it its flexible.

Mir000

Post Wed, Jul 02 2008, 10:18 am
My first job, working full time for govt. I didn't say anything about shabbos until Nov time (about 2 months after starting) although they were able to flex my time, I work 7 hours each day, when I had my performance review several months after that I did get some flack from my manager, made kind of a rude comment to me, that I wasn't open about it at the time of the interview. My thought was that when they hire a women who is 1 month pregnant, that person doesn't say anything to the manager that they are pregnant... Anyways, I am still at the same job but when looking in the future, I would not say anything at the initial interview but when I come to sign the offer, at that time, I would bring up an "my accomadation needs" The organization should be very tolerant of religeous, ethnic, disabilities... especially if it is govt, hospital, NGO. Good luck.

chaylizi

Post Wed, Jul 02 2008, 11:03 am
in healthcare- where if you work in the hospital, then you work every other weekend, this is a HUGE pain. sure you don't have to mention it- but you aren't meeting the job description. I usually mention it during the interview b/c if they don't want to help me, it's not worth it. even if it is illegal, I will be miserable if they aren't in the mood to accomodate. my favorite line is: how could it be against your religion to care for sick people? healthcare is 24/7. what if it was your loved one, wouldn't you want them cared for on saturday. it's enough to make me retire now. if you find a good manager though who respects other peoples beliefs, then it is much easier.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics