Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
How long to beat eggs so cookies shouldnt collapse

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 5:59 pm
I think I over beat the eggs cos never had such a thing cookies should spread even after overnight refrigerated.

I troubleshooted and read it can happen if you over beat the eggs.

what is normal amount?

I find 3 min far too long.

is this normal or is it just cos I am using a low gluten flour?

s1

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 6:20 pm
Most cookie recipes you don’t need to beat eggs at all

SG18

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 6:35 pm
I don't beat eggs for cookies.

Amarante

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 7:11 pm
Low gluten flour could be the culprit if you are using a recipe that assumes all purpose flour because gluten provides structure to baked goods.

Baking is really chemistry and unless you know what you are doing, you need to follow recipes in terms of ingredients and preparation. It can also be a bad recipe as there are some cookbooks that are much better than others especially as they provide very explicit instructions

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 8:10 pm
SG18 wrote:
I don't beat eggs for cookies.

why?

amother
Hibiscus

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 8:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
why?

Because you're not supposed to. Have you ever seen a cookie recipe that says to beat the eggs, other than pesach? Usually you cream butter or margarine and sugar, then add in eggs and vanilla, and then add in the dry ingredients. You never beat the eggs separately.

SG18

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 2:23 am
amother OP wrote:
why?

Baking is a science. It isn't like cooking where you can experiment- any small change can change the composition. I follow the recipe, and I've never had a cookie recipe that said to beat eggs.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 4:02 am
https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....-2053

have others too.

amother
Camellia

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 5:35 am
amother OP wrote:
https://www.kosher.com/recipe/chocolate-chip-cookies-or-biscotti-2053

have others too.

According to this, mix in mixture until just incorporated (could take 30 seconds) and then quickly add in the rest.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 7:06 am
is it meant to be self understood that when making cookies and it says beat eggs it means 30 sec or so?

am I the only slow one who doesnt know that?

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 7:16 am
amother OP wrote:
is it meant to be self understood that when making cookies and it says beat eggs it means 30 sec or so?

am I the only slow one who doesnt know that?

It usually specifies which consistency ypu need to beat them too. Stiff peaks or light and fluffy.
If it just says "3 eggs, beaten" with no other details, it means just broken up, as you would for an omelet.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 7:36 am
amother Slategray wrote:
It usually specifies which consistency ypu need to beat them too. Stiff peaks or light and fluffy.
If it just says "3 eggs, beaten" with no other details, it means just broken up, as you would for an omelet.

I see. thanks.

learnt something!

cookier

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 11:40 am
You should beat eggs until they lighten in color. It’s usually a couple minutes.

The recipe you posted is using a liquid fat, so I would freeze them on the tray (10-15 min or so depending on how thick they are) and then take them right from the freezer to the oven. Also get an oven thermometer so you know if your oven is running hot or cold. Too cold and the outside of the cookie won’t shape before the inside flattens.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 11:54 am
cookier wrote:
You should beat eggs until they lighten in color. It’s usually a couple minutes.

The recipe you posted is using a liquid fat, so I would freeze them on the tray (10-15 min or so depending on how thick they are) and then take them right from the freezer to the oven. Also get an oven thermometer so you know if your oven is running hot or cold. Too cold and the outside of the cookie won’t shape before the inside flattens.

previous poster said not more than 30 sec.

a couple of minutes is way longer than 30 sec when it comes to beating eggs for cookies.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 11:56 am
can it be too much oil causes cookies to spread?

amother
Hibiscus

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 11:58 am
amother OP wrote:
can it be too much oil causes cookies to spread?

It's possible. You really need to be precise.in measuring for baking.

cookier

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 2:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
previous poster said not more than 30 sec.

a couple of minutes is way longer than 30 sec when it comes to beating eggs for cookies.

Idk where she got 30 seconds in that recipe because it doesn’t say anything about “just until mixed” like she said.

What I was taught, and what I do when baking, is beat eggs until they lighten. Depending on your mixer and speed this can take a while. I’ve literally walked away from my mixer with eggs/butter/sugar whipping, forgotten about it (commercial kitchen) and it didn’t change the final product. In my experience, it’s pretty hard to overbeat cookie dough before you add the flour. Once flour is in it needs to be just barely mixed until uniform.

Too much fat (in this case oil) will absolutely cause cookies to flatten.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 3:46 pm
cookier wrote:
Idk where she got 30 seconds in that recipe because it doesn’t say anything about “just until mixed” like she said.

What I was taught, and what I do when baking, is beat eggs until they lighten. Depending on your mixer and speed this can take a while. I’ve literally walked away from my mixer with eggs/butter/sugar whipping, forgotten about it (commercial kitchen) and it didn’t change the final product. In my experience, it’s pretty hard to overbeat cookie dough before you add the flour. Once flour is in it needs to be just barely mixed until uniform.

Too much fat (in this case oil) will absolutely cause cookies to flatten.

Are you talking about mixing eggs by themselves or with sugar? Some recipes do call for mixing eggs and sugar together until the color lightens but it's still not the same as mixing eggs by themselves. You shouldn't be mixing eggs by themselves for several minutes for baking unless the recipe specifically calls for it, but most don't.

cookier

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 4:43 pm
amother Hibiscus wrote:
Are you talking about mixing eggs by themselves or with sugar? Some recipes do call for mixing eggs and sugar together until the color lightens but it's still not the same as mixing eggs by themselves. You shouldn't be mixing eggs by themselves for several minutes for baking unless the recipe specifically calls for it, but most don't.

Her recipe calls for beating the eggs and xylitol together. That’s what I’m talking about, or generally adding eggs to creamed sugar and butter.

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 5:31 pm
Have you made this recipe or actually tasted the recipe someone else made.

It could just be a bad recipe.

Frankly it uses so many ingredients thst aren’t used for really good cookies, that I would be skeptical of the results. You might be getting exactly the cookie it is supposed to be 🤷‍♀️
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics