Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Installing a washing machine in apartment. A/o done this?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:02 pm
Anon bc I complain all day about this...

My apartment doesnt have a washing machine and dryer or washer dryer hookup. At this point with 2 kids its impossible. My son threw up in his carseat on Tuesday and I had to scrub it in my bathtub and I dont get to a washing machine until Sunday when I go to my grandmother's house. Growing up my mother was very clean I grew up changing my bath towel every 2 days. Here I change it once a week since theres no room to store it. I have to make sure I have enough of everything etc. With a toddler that's potty training and a newborn... between peepee and throw up its getting really stressful.

Ive been looking at other apartments to move to but they're all over our budget starting at $2400 (we pay $2000 now), we would need to pay a brokers fee (first months rent), security deposit (first months rent) and first months rent... so a minimum total of $7200. And these$2400 apartments arent even nice. We dont have that money lying around we barely make it as it is.

How much is it usually to install a washer dryer hook up? Any tips of advice?

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
Anon bc I complain all day about this...

My apartment doesnt have a washing machine and dryer or washer dryer hookup. At this point with 2 kids its impossible. My son threw up in his carseat on Tuesday and I had to scrub it in my bathtub and I dont get to a washing machine until Sunday when I go to my grandmother's house. Growing up my mother was very clean I grew up changing my bath towel every 2 days. Here I change it once a week since theres no room to store it. I have to make sure I have enough of everything etc. With a toddler that's potty training and a newborn... between peepee and throw up its getting really stressful.

Ive been looking at other apartments to move to but they're all over our budget starting at $2400 (we pay $2000 now), we would need to pay a brokers fee (first months rent), security deposit (first months rent) and first months rent... so a minimum total of $7200. And these$2400 apartments arent even nice. We dont have that money lying around we barely make it as it is.

How much is it usually to install a washer dryer hook up? Any tips of advice?

We did it in one of our apartments. Was maybe 1000 to get the vent to the roof not sure (not including washer dryer or hookup). Best money we spent.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:15 pm
amother Slategray wrote:
We did it in one of our apartments. Was maybe 1000 to get the vent to the roof not sure (not including washer dryer or hookup). Best money we spent.

good to kno
you called a plumber correct?

Im nervous if management finds out. I heard a rumor they raise ur rent by $400 once u install a machine
I hate my apartment I just cant afford to move for over 7k

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
good to kno
you called a plumber correct?

Im nervous if management finds out. I heard a rumor they raise ur rent by $400 once u install a machine
I hate my apartment I just cant afford to move for over 7k

I called a plumber. He told me I needed a contractor to open the path to the roof before he starts. If management doesn't let, then don't go to the roof, use a more simple hookup possibly with vent going out the window.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:20 pm
If you're in NYC rent stabilized apartment building, management cannot increase your rent by $400 for installing a washer/dryer. Current guidelines allow a surcharge of $16.82 for a washing machine and $0.00 for a dryer per month. The fee amount changes every few years, you can check current rates on the DHCR website.

amother
Snow

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:23 pm
My management didn’t let because they said the water system couldn’t support the machine. As long as you know your apartment can handle it you should be fine. Do you pay for water or is it part of your rent? I’ve heard of rent going up by 50-100 to cover extra water but never 400.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:25 pm
You can buy a dryer that doesn't need a vent

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:27 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
If you're in NYC rent stabilized apartment building, management cannot increase your rent by $400 for installing a washer/dryer. Current guidelines allow a surcharge of $16.82 for a washing machine and $0.00 for a dryer per month. The fee amount changes every few years, you can check current rates on the DHCR website.

How do I kno if im in a NYC rent stabilized apartment?

Thanks for this info!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:28 pm
amother Snow wrote:
My management didn’t let because they said the water system couldn’t support the machine. As long as you know your apartment can handle it you should be fine. Do you pay for water or is it part of your rent? I’ve heard of rent going up by 50-100 to cover extra water but never 400.

No idea if it can support a machine, how would I know?
I heard a few people have machines here

We dont pay for water (shockingly). Management is so stingy I hate dealing with them

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:30 pm
You can't install a washer in an apartment without the consent of the owner. It can cause you a huge amount of liability - not all plumbing - especially older plumbing is equipped to handle it. Also if there is any malfunction and there is a flood from your unit, you can be on the hook for a million or more because every unit below you can be damaged as the water runs down.

I live in a high rise condo and there have been floods from washing machines with significant damage to multiple units.

In terms of installation, provided you have approval you would typically install a European type of washer dryer which is ventless. If would be almost impossible to retrofit a vented dryer in an apartment building especially without the permission of the owner - you can't just cut into the walls and vent.

I did have a washer/dryer unit installed in my condo which is a high rise. It required permission from the building and they have to approve the model because it has to be a low flow - again because the pipes in most multiple family dwellings are not equipped to handle a regular flow machine. I was required to use a licensed plumber approved by the building.

The actual installation requires that it be close to your drains because the washing machine and dryer are tied into the waste drain in the bathroom typically. Most people install in a bathroom stacked. Mine is a stacked unit which is in one of the closets which abuts the master bathroom since the pipes are accessible from the closet since the bath tub is on the other side of the wall of that closet.

My unit is a Bosch with ventless dryer. It is low flow and also has safety guards in terms of protecting against flooding. It has double hoses and I had it installed with a Smitty pan to catch any water and also a water alarm system which shuts off the machines if any water is sensed outside the unit.

You should also check with your insurance company to make sure you are insured for any damage caused by the units. I upped my liability significantly specifically because of the potential high damages if my machine somehow breached the water containment measures and caused a flood.

amother
Firethorn

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:33 pm
if your building doesn't let I wouldn't do it all it takes is one nosy neighbor to masser on you and your stuck.

Instead just do what you are doing it's a pain in the neck but will save you heartache in the long run maybe you can do something else to make your life easier like paper goods instead of china or a cleaning lady once a month? Or a nice treat for yourself for doing all the hard work.

Or can you ask a friend to do laundry by them once a week instead? maybe offer to watch her kids for 2 hours as a trade off?

Try to work something else out.

I totally relate we are staying in an apartment that is in our price range even though we need to move because otherwise we are spending more than we can afford. We want to buy a house but we are priced out in our area. Looking to move out of town just nervous about jobs.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:35 pm
Amarante thanks for the invo
I live in a complex- im the top floor and I have one family below us
im going to call management monday and ask I guess

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:37 pm
amother Firethorn wrote:
if your building doesn't let I wouldn't do it all it takes is one nosy neighbor to masser on you and your stuck.

Instead just do what you are doing it's a pain in the neck but will save you heartache in the long run maybe you can do something else to make your life easier like paper goods instead of china or a cleaning lady once a month? Or a nice treat for yourself for doing all the hard work.

Or can you ask a friend to do laundry by them once a week instead? maybe offer to watch her kids for 2 hours as a trade off?

Try to work something else out.

I totally relate we are staying in an apartment that is in our price range even though we need to move because otherwise we are spending more than we can afford. We want to buy a house but we are priced out in our area. Looking to move out of town just nervous about jobs.

its a nightmare. my whole sunday is dedicated to laundry. I get depressed thinking about this. I have to plan my week around when I do laundry. I have a cleaning lady and we do use paper goods- what does that have to do with washing my clothes and linen? LOL

I do my laundry Sundays I work FT during the week with no time for myself :/

yeee were nowhere near buying a house I cant relate to that at all. we'll be here for a good couple of years bc we cant afford anywhere else.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:38 pm
It may be worth outsourcing some to a launderette

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:40 pm
amother OP wrote:

Is there a basement where units could be installed. It seems as though thst would be something a landlord might do as part of the amenities of the building.

amother
Oleander

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:40 pm
What about hooking it up to the sink?

ETA I see there's something called a portable washing machine. Maybe you can get one of those.

mha3484

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:41 pm
I lived in an apartment where every unit had their own machine in the basement. It was a great compromise. I could do laundry on my own schedule with no one taking my stuff out. I suggest asking the management if you can do this.

I own rental units, we are doing major plumbing work and are considering putting in a hook up for a washer/dryer but if my tenant did it behind my back they would probably not be my tenant anymore. Its very risky to do a project like this without asking first.

Last edited by mha3484 on Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:43 pm
amother OP wrote:

Don't ask then they'll look out to see if you don't listen. Call an appliance store and find out which dryer doesn't need a vent and which washer can hook up to your regular water pipes in a bldg.

amother
Oleander

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:46 pm
Maybe there's something here:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=no+.....dryer

amother
Peachpuff

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:48 pm
We have a portable washing machine. Is that an option for you? They arent so expensive.... It's not good for a big wash, but pefrect if your toddler has an accident or someone throws up, or your out of clothes for the next day..... You attach it to the sink when you use it, and then store in a closet so know one has to see or know you have it....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry